Hello! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Hello!

I am new to this site and I am so glad I found it. I am having TAH on May 16 and of course, very nervous. It has helped me tremendously reading other women’s stories. I have had endometriosis for many years, with a couple of laparoscopy surgeries to remove adhesions. In recent years, heavy periods resulting in anemia, PAIN, fibroids and bladder issues. I hope to keep my ovaries. The waiting is very hard. I worry about "not waking up" after surgery. I have written letters to my family which did make me feel better.
My doctor’s office schedule my surgery during my period which I thought was odd. Has anyone else had it done during this time?
I also am trying to quit smoking which isn’t the easiest during this time.
Thank you for being here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
scared too

hi, i have just read your message, and just to let you know i feel exactly the same as you. My hysterectomey is on the 17th may, and i am petrified of the anaestetic, sorry about the spelling, i am also worried about what kind of pain i will e in after the op, all in all i am just petrified. I am also trying to give up smoking, (hard). BEV
Unread 04-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Hello!

Don't worry, you will wake up. I've been put under 15 or so times and I'm still here. The doctors and anesthesiologist are very good at what they do. Very, very few people don't wake up. I've never even heard of one that didn't. For you, it will seem like you've woken up an instant later.

It doesn't matter if you're having your period. Many women never stop bleeding. They're taking the whole works out anyway, so that will be your last time.

Your pain will probably be controlled with a morphine pump. Just tell the doctors and nurses how you feel. They will give you more pain meds if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Hello!

Hi Bev and Sinh! My TAH is on the 11th and also trying to give smoking, although haven't yet. I feel like I am not ready yet. I am single now, so I need to get the house ready, find a temp home for the dog and schedule people the first week to stay over. Anaesthesia petrifies me. I hope today is good for you, Beth
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Hello!

Hi ladies. Being scared is very natural. When you go to sleep in the hsopital it will feel like it was just minutes ago when you wake up. Please let the nurses know when you are in pain-it is very important to stay ahead of the pain. If the pain meds they start you are not working LET THEM KNOW. They can be changed. I had trouble with the duladid and once they changed to the Thoridol (unsure of spelling) I felt great! Good luck ladies. The waiting really is the worse!
And Stella, good call finding people for the first week. I had "babysitters" during the day my first week home and it was nice. Today will be my first day all alone-12 days post op.
LOts of hugs and happy thoughts coming your way ladies!
Unread 05-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Hello!

good luck to you. You have seen it written here a million times, but here it is again for good measure: THE WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART. I wrestled with the decision to have my LSH for months. My biggest fear was having something go wrong and wishing I had just lived with the cramps and bleeding. I am only 3 days out and don't regret my decision for a minute. It has been the best thing I have done for me in a long time. I woke up feeling 1000 times better than when I went into surgery. I have some discomfort but haven' t felt the need to take ANY pain meds. Today is the best day so for. I even went to dinner with my DH and DS the day after. Didn't eat alot, but boy did it feel good to get out and see something other than recliner!
As for them scheduling your surgery during your period, it isn't a problem. Mine showed up Thursday evening. Emotionally distressing yes, but they have seen it all. LEt me tell you there is nothing quite as sexy as the pair of mesh underwear you will receive. DH and I joked about taking a pair home for a real romantic evening haha!! The best advice is to keep a good sense of humor, and positive attitude. That alone will get you through just about anything!!!!
Unread 05-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Hello!

Hi there!! I had my surgery on 3-5-06 and was also afraid of not waking up. The "sleepy people" will take good care of you. I also was a smoker. They gave me a patch in the hospital and I have been using it ever since. Haven't smoked since the surgery. You will be ok. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of water and eat healthy. :-))
Unread 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! My dh will be home with me for 4 days then my mother-in-law for two more. (She is wonderful!) Do I need "babysitters" longer than that? Happy and good thoughts are sent to you both stella_01 and beverley1234!!
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Hello!

your surgery has to go well as that is my DS's 15th bday!!! All the best to you. I'll keep you in my thoughts!!
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Hello!

Sinh,
As long as you are feeling ok, you should be fine! I actually wound up taking a short (very) drive today to get DS to scouts (mile round trip). Think it will be a few more days before I do that again! I hope that all of you ladies have an unenventful surgery, hospital stay & even easier recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register