Info on pain meds prescribed once at home? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Info on pain meds prescribed once at home? Info on pain meds prescribed once at home?

Unread 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Info on pain meds prescribed once at home?

Scheduled surgery set for November 15th....having partial done; can any one shed some info on pain meds prescribed once at home. I have 2 kids under age ten and s husband that works 12 hour days.....I'm afraid of the overwhelming pain that may occur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Re: Info on pain meds prescribed once at home?

I'm 2 days post op. I have 10 children ages 2-16 and my doctor prescribed me Percocet plus 600mg Advil. And it IS necessary. I tried to not take it after coming home wanting to stay awake and see children but before I knew it the pain was overwhelming. If I take my meds regular like he said then I found I'm plenty alert to interact with them and not be in pain. They are spending time with mommy playing games in my bed and watching movies. You definitely will need someone to help you for the first week or so cause just going to the bathroom can wear you out! It is more of the severe fatigue and muscle soreness than the pain I'm struggling with. Do you have someone who could stay with you a few nights?
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:23 PM

Try to time the dose of meds for discharging from the hospital as close to discharge as possible. Everyone experiences pain and discomfort differently but I know that anytime I have had surgery the pain meds were important. It is best to stay on top of the pain vs. having to reclimb the mountain again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2012, 05:46 PM

I had Percocet and 800 milligram of ibuprofen . I definitely needed on schedule. I had a tvh .
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom1221 View Post
I'm 2 days post op. I have 10 children ages 2-16 and my doctor prescribed me Percocet plus 600mg Advil. And it IS necessary. I tried to not take it after coming home wanting to stay awake and see children but before I knew it the pain was overwhelming. If I take my meds regular like he said then I found I'm plenty alert to interact with them and not be in pain. They are spending time with mommy playing games in my bed and watching movies. You definitely will need someone to help you for the first week or so cause just going to the bathroom can wear you out! It is more of the severe fatigue and muscle soreness than the pain I'm struggling with. Do you have someone who could stay with you a few nights?
My tolerance to any type of pain meds are pretty high and have little effect. With past pain I've been given Percocet 5mg...I find them worthless and end up giving me no pain relief but rather a horrible headache. Any type if hydrocodone (vicadin) is equally ineffective.
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joceyb View Post
I had Percocet and 800 milligram of ibuprofen . I definitely needed on schedule. I had a tvh .
It seems Percocets are the go to drug for post-op; this is quite frustrating since it this pain reliever really doesn't dissipate the pain for me. Were you given 5 mg of Percocets?
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom1221 View Post
Unfortunately I have no one to stay with me. All of my family is up North; have no one here friends or family...quite frustrating!!"
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM

I didn't think I would need as much assistance as I have needed and really think it would be good if you could find somewhere to be there at least the first 2 days post op. cooking for me was not an option. Standing longer than 10 minutes at a time was and still is impossible for me. I'm finally able to walk up the stairs but that's exhausting and just going to bathroom by myself is a challenge. Bending over is not possible. Take anyone and everyone up on offers to help if given. You wil need it! Maybe yours won't be as hard and I hope not but you will definitely need rest and lots of it.
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM

I had an LAVH and was prescribed Vicodin and 600 mg Ibuprofen every four hours. I took the meds as scheduled, and the pain really wasn't as bad as I thought. Plus, I could still function quite well. That said, I learned a hard lesson about doing too much because the meds were masking the pain. Take the meds, AND stay in bed at least for the first few days. After about a week, I could do little things like make a sandwich and set at the table to visit with friends. Again, my pain really wasn't bad at all unless I overdid it. Listen to your body and force yourself to stay in bed or on the couch for a few days.
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:41 AM

You really need to get someone to travel and stay with you the first few days if your hubby can't get off work. It would be irresponsible for you to be the "adult" in charge of 2 small children. Some women breeze through recovery. My first week home was horrible, complete with 2 trips back to the doc and emergency room. I could barely get to the bathroom unassisted. There is no way I could have been the caregiver of children.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register