Scheduled LSH Endometriomas, heavy periods, scared to death about surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometriomas, heavy periods, scared to death about surgery! Endometriomas, heavy periods, scared to death about surgery!

Unread 01-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Endometriomas, heavy periods, scared to death about surgery!

Hi Sisters! My name is Jen. I am a mom of two 15 yr old girl, and 9 yr old boy. Married to my highschool sweetie!
My mom was on this site about 15 years ago when she went through her hysterectomy, and she suggested it to me. I have been having female issues for quite some times. Started out as painful, heavy periods. Spoke to my GYN about an oblation. About 2 weeks before going to have the pre-oblation testing done (saline sono and endo biopsy) I started having back and pelvic pain. Of course the anxious me had diagnosed myself with ovarian cancer. When I had the sono, the dr found 2 lovely endometriomas, one on each ovary. I was rescaned a few weeks ago to be sure that is what it was, and there they were. With this said, my dr. has recommended having bilateral ovarian cystectomies, and a laparoscopic supracervial hysterectomy on 3/20. Anyone have any info on any of this? Some people are saying, have them take it all! Why leave the ovaries and the cervix? My dr feels because I am only 41, she doesn't want to throw me into surgical menapause, nor does she want me to have bladder issues at this point in my life. The part I am the MOST scared of is being put to sleep. I have NEVER been completely out under anesthesia! I am terrified I won't wake up...or because of my high BP or weight issues something will go terribly wrong. I know these fears can be normal, but I am just a wreck! I definately need some support! I am so thankful for this site!!!!!! Looking forward to getting some information! Take care!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Re: Endometriomas, heavy periods, scared to death about surgery!

Hi JGo0403 to HysterSisters!

How wonderful that you mom recommended this site.

Here is some information to help you understand what our doctor is talking about:
Hysterectomy Definition
Hysterectomy for Cysts

Keeping you ovaries is a good idea, as your doctor said. I lost both mine with my surgery (I had no choice). Surgical menopause is no picnic, and I was MISERABLE until I got on HRT. Still, it is not the same as your own hormones.

Surgery can be very scary. The doctors and nurses will take very good care of you, they will watch over you and they will see you through this. All of these doctors and nurses are specially trained. You will be monitored by many people.

All of these emotions are normal. You are not alone - never on this site! We are here to help and support you.

Unread 01-23-2014, 08:07 PM

I hope I can make you feel a bit better. I would agree that you want to keep your ovaries as there are increased risk for other issues once you are in menopause. I was really scarred to have the surgery too! Those professionals in the OR with me helped calm me, by talking to me and my doctor was even holding my hand until I was put out. Try not to worry about the anesthesia, focus on other things if possible. Once you are knocked out you wake up before you even know anything happened, it's actually quite amazing. I am 6 weeks post op and only now the thought of no more heavy, painful, awkward periods makes me smile. Happy thoughts for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGo0403 View Post

Hi Sisters! My name is Jen. I am a mom of two 15 yr old girl, and 9 yr old boy. Married to my highschool sweetie!
My mom was on this site about 15 years ago when she went through her hysterectomy, and she suggested it to me. I have been having female issues for quite some times. Started out as painful, heavy periods. Spoke to my GYN about an oblation. About 2 weeks before going to have the pre-oblation testing done (saline sono and endo biopsy) I started having back and pelvic pain. Of course the anxious me had diagnosed myself with ovarian cancer. When I had the sono, the dr found 2 lovely endometriomas, one on each ovary. I was rescaned a few weeks ago to be sure that is what it was, and there they were. With this said, my dr. has recommended having bilateral ovarian cystectomies, and a laparoscopic supracervial hysterectomy on 3/20. Anyone have any info on any of this? Some people are saying, have them take it all! Why leave the ovaries and the cervix? My dr feels because I am only 41, she doesn't want to throw me into surgical menapause, nor does she want me to have bladder issues at this point in my life. The part I am the MOST scared of is being put to sleep. I have NEVER been completely out under anesthesia! I am terrified I won't wake up...or because of my high BP or weight issues something will go terribly wrong. I know these fears can be normal, but I am just a wreck! I definately need some support! I am so thankful for this site!!!!!! Looking forward to getting some information! Take care!!!!
Hi Jen,
I have Endo and had the bilateral back in 2008 I am not sure what a supracervical hysto is. I had 2 "chocolate cysts" on my ovaries, and multiple adhesions. The surgery was about 6 hrs and was out patient. Healing was about 2-4 weeks. So pretty much the same as recovery of a hysto. I am going in on Tuesday for my Hysto b/c the cysts are back, the Dr is only removing 1 ovary so that i wont go into Menopause (im only 38) My best advise to you is to talk to your dr about what is going on during the surgery (have them show you on the 3-d models they keep in their office!!!) Tell the dr your fears and what is bothering you! They should be able to calm you a little!
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Thank you so much!!!! I will see her twice in the next month and a half, once for my annual, and once for my preop! I will be sure to get the answers I need...she will probably be sick of me!
Unread 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM

I'm three weeks post op I had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy and kept my ovaries and cervix. I have PCOS but my ovaries are still functioning so there was no need to take them and avoiding menopause as long as you can is better since there are some very uncomfortable symptoms that come along with that. My surgeon would've preferred too take my cervix because he said it's easier to remove the uterus through the vagina and you no longer need to have a the yearly pap. I chose to keep mine because TMI but it makes intercourse more pleasurable for me when it's bumped. Also the cervix makes natural lubricants so without one you can experience vaginal dryness. The healing time is faster if you don't have your cervix removed because there are internal stitches but they don't have to create a vaginal cuff and the the cervix is only stitched at the top.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register