Scared of Needles | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of Needles Scared of Needles

Unread 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Scared of Needles

Wow! I just found this site yesterday. I am scheduled for 7/24 and am absolutely terrified. My husband and I have just begun talking about it. I don't do well with needles, blood, etc. Any suggestions for getting through that pre-op? Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Scared of Needles

Yup, all I can say is do not look at it. Look the other way. Take someone in there with you to keep you talking and not thinking about it and relaxed and it will be over before you know it. Don't focus on that. Focus on being better when it is all done.

Good luck, best wishes. Keep us posted. Take care of yourself and pamper the princess.
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Scared of Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by games4me51
Wow! I just found this site yesterday. I am scheduled for 7/24 and am absolutely terrified. My husband and I have just begun talking about it. I don't do well with needles, blood, etc. Any suggestions for getting through that pre-op? Help!!

I had the hibbie jibbies also, but the staff at the hospital made it very comfortable. Once you get the IV inserted, you will be fine, which in the beginning is just fluids. You will be alright trust me.

Prayers have already been sent up for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Scared of Needles

It helps if you pretend your arm is a "rag doll", in other words, relax your arm muscles. Getting an IV is much easier if the needle isn't fighting through your muscles. And getting an IV is easier than breaking up with a boyfriend, having a root canal, missing a flight at the airport or loosing your luggage, or things like that. Good luck!
Unread 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Scared of Needles

First of all, they should deaden the area when they are going to insert the IV. Usually this is a shot, just look away or close your eyes and put yourself in another place in your mind. Once that shot takes hold the rest is a piece of cake. Be sure to let them know that you hate needles and not to let you see it.
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Scared of Needles

I hate having blood drawn! I guess it isn't really fear for me, I just don't like it. I'm one of those that likes to be distracted and I never look at it being done. Usually a nurse will talk to me one the opposite side while it's being drawn and it goes faster and easier for me.

Remember to breathe and try to relax. I hope everything goes very smoothly! Hang in there!

s, Deb
Unread 07-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Scared of Needles

iv's really dont hurt anymore if they numb the area a bit first. just try to focus on something else while they do it and once its in, ask for something to help you relax. once you get that, you wont even have a memory of everything else.
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Scared of Needles

If you have the IV area covered up that ususally helps people who are upset by the site of needles especially when they are in them. You can tell the nurse about your fears and just ask if they can cover it up with gauze and make it look like a glove is on you instead of a needle in you. You can also ask that the IV is put in your forearm and then have a sleeve cover it or again ask the nurse to loosly take a gauze cover over it so you don't have to see needles i your arm, they are used to this phobia, so I am sure they will help you. also if your IV is in your arm, it frees up your hand, is less painful and easier to cover up, not to mention you will be able to type on your laptop and NOT see the IV!
Good luck!
Unread 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Scared of Needles

Boy, do I know that fear! And it's not just because it's a little sting and then it's over, not for me! I anticipate the sting, the feel of the alcohol and everything, and it really hurts, not just when it goes in, but while it's there.

It is true, though, what some of the sisters say--once the IV is in, it didn't bother me. If you can have someone there, holding your hand, and reminding you to breathe, even though you may still be terrified, it will help you get through it. Your fear may go quite a way back, and if that's true, as it is for me, what you might try to do is literally hold on to someone. Do you have a friend, or maybe your dh, anyone who is willing to do that.

I'm sending you lots of hugs, and I will be thinking of you on the 24th.

Debbie
Unread 07-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Scared of Needles

Dont be scared. Breathe in at that moment and look the other way. I'm really afraid of needles and blood drawn too. I found it very helpful to bring my favorite Bible verse on a little index card. I kept reading it throughout the entire prep time. I'll pray that you will have peace that day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register