Is this normal novasure recovery? Very disappointed... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this normal novasure recovery? Very disappointed... Is this normal novasure recovery? Very disappointed...

Unread 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Is this normal novasure recovery? Please help, feel desperate!

As I posted a few weeks ago, I went in for Novasure ablation, d&c, and hysteroscopy on Friday, May 27. I had surgery at 7:00 am, and was home and resting by 9:30 am. Due to my pain meds (Tylox and Anaprox) I slept through Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and started weaning off the meds on Memorial day (Monday). I then noticed I was VERY bloated, I looked approximately four months pregnant . I went back to work on Tuesday (I work in an office), and was still stiff and bloated. I took advil and tylenol, and that helped the moderate pain I experienced. Wednesday was slightly better, though I was still swollen, but Thursday I felt great! Back to my regular-sized pants, no stiffness or pain, I was very encouraged!

On Friday, though, everything went back downhill. Prior to my ablation I had lower back pain and uterine contractions/cramps (like labor pains) for over three weeks, and they were only abated by using Loritab. Friday evening my back and uterus/vagina started aching, but I chalked it up to the end of a long week and took advil before going to bed. Yesterday the pain intensified, and was back to the caliber of pain I had before my surgery. I cried last night, because my doctor told me if this did not work I was looking at a hysterectomy. I want the pain to go away, but I really wanted this to work. My husband found the Loritab and gave it to me, and it helped a bit...I was able to fall asleep but woke up at 4:45 am in severe pain and couldn't go back to sleep. I couldn't sit through church today, and have been taking Loritab this afternoon.

I am calling my doctor tomorrow, but have any of you experienced this type of recurring pain then turned out to not need a hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Re: Is this normal novasure recovery? Very disappointed...

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to read what you are going through. I went through a similar experience. I had a ablation done Sept of 2010. I was in severe pain after. It felt like my uterus was on fire! I had cramping everyday. I took Naproxen 550 mg and that really helped a lot. I waited until Dec to see if it would get better. It did get better, but I still had the cramping just not as severe. No comparison. I had the hyst because I was done with cramping, periods and hoping it would maybe help with PMS. The cramping was the worst. Well, I'm been almost 4 months since my surgery. I felt great at about 3 months, but I'm been really overdoing it in the yard, so now I have cramping, pain and swelly belly. They say it takes 6 months to a year to totally heal.

When it's about the time when I would start my cycle, I still get inflammation that is quite painful. It's not cramps anymore. Just the painful inflammation. I thought that the hyst would take care of it,but it didn't. I'm hoping that as the months pass I will see a decrease in the inflammation. PMS is the same.

I had the hyst because of the ablation. I wish I never had the ablation in the first place. My opinion- take Naproxen 550mg twice a day for a few months and see how you feel. You might feel a lot better. Give it some time before you decide on a hyst.

You are in my prayers. God bless!

-Suzy
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Thanks, Suzy! So you say you still PMS...does that mean you kept your ovaries? I have ovarian cysts, so would have to lose them as well. I did notice that the naproxen helps a bit more than tylenol, so I'll give that a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Do you have adenomyosis? I had suspected adeno and had an ablation 7 weeks ago. My pain increased and endone wasnt even touching the pain. Within 2 weeks of my ablation I was tentatively booked for a hyster incase the pain didnt go. Well the pain continued and I am now 4 days post op and while I am still getting a bit of back pain I can tell its getting better already. I wish you all the best. If it is adeno you have, its unlikely an ablation will make it better.
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Thanks, Veenus, I had read your posts and suspected that was the case. My doctor sent the scrapings for a pathology report, and he suspects either endo or adenomyosis. I'm glad you're feeling better!
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:47 PM

I hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I had the ablation done in October of 2010 and my pain got worse after the surgery. I didnt have much bleeding but the pain was very bad. I had cramps in my back and legs and was in bed at least one to two days a month. I dont regret the ablation but ti made my issues worse. alot of women here had failed ablations. I suffered from adeno so the surgery didnt help. I am very sorry to hear you are in pain. I have heard from women who had the ablation that it takes months to feel better. My new doc said he wouldnt do a hysterectomy til six months after the ablation due to swelling and healing. I promised myself I would give it six months until I decided on the hsyterectomy. I had my hysterectomy seven months later. Do. You have endo?

Hugs
Jenn
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the response, Jenn! My doctor had not made any diagnosis prior to the ablation, but I believe it's adenomyosis. I called my GYN's office this morning, and they have scheduled me to come in at 1:50 this afternoon (in two hours). I hope that he has answers and a plan.

My Mom and grandmother both had fibroid/endo problems and had hyesterectomies at age 30, so while I'm a bit ahead of the curve, so to speak, there is no way I can live with this pain much longer!
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhatHuh View Post
Thanks for the response, Jenn! My doctor had not made any diagnosis prior to the ablation, but I believe it's adenomyosis. I called my GYN's office this morning, and they have scheduled me to come in at 1:50 this afternoon (in two hours). I hope that he has answers and a plan.

My Mom and grandmother both had fibroid/endo problems and had hyesterectomies at age 30, so while I'm a bit ahead of the curve, so to speak, there is no way I can live with this pain much longer!
My thoughts go out to you to find some relief. Please post about your doctors visit. How did you mom and gram do after thier hysterectomies? I know the pain you are tAlking about. My pain post ablation was worse than before the ablation.

Hugs,
Jenn
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM

They did well-my Mom took premarin but I don't know if my grandmother kept her ovaries or not. I will definitely update-I'm a bit nervous but just ready to be done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register