Scheduled TAH Advise before big day with Complex Atypia Hyperplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advise before big day with Complex Atypia Hyperplasia Advise before big day with Complex Atypia Hyperplasia

Unread 03-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Advise before big day with Complex Atypia Hyperplasia

Hi, having a TAH with removal of ovaries in coming weeks as suggested by Doctor for Atypia Complex Hyperplasia, firstly when I found this out I was told that the surgeon perfoming the operation could possilby do a frozen on ovaries, to determine if I could keep them or not, and then once seen the acting gynecologist who will perform my operation has vaguely said he will do a TAH and remove ovaries. At the time I was unprepaired for questions and did not ask any however does anyone know if it is safe enough to keep ovaries, with Atypia Complex Hyperplasia, I have also had CT scans on chest and stomach, and there were no signs of tumours, so this has been clear. Or can I still have cancer spread to ovaries easy even if my uterus is removed. I would also like to keep my cervix, my pap smears have all been ok although 22 years ago I did have abnormal cells which I had monitored for years with regular pap smears. I just would rather not have to go through surgical Menopause even though I wont have long before I go through this naturally I would prefer it this way., but do not wish to get cancer in the ovaries, or cervix, from this conditon, I would like to know if anyone who has had this conditon has kept their ovaries, and cervix, and how its going, or what suggestions do people have on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Re: Advise before big day with Complex Atypia Hyperplasia

I had my TAH 7 weeks ago. Pathology result was complex hyperplasia with atypia. No cancer though. I was able to keep my ovaries. I'm 43 and wanted to avoid surgical menopause if possible.
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks for replying, and congrats for not having Ca. Im positive I should be ok also and will talk to Docs about keeping my ovaries on pre- op appointment. Were you told about the risks of keeping them, is there a higher chance for ovarian cancer now. Im 45 howeve would rather ** through menopause at a slower more natural rate also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2014, 02:09 PM

My doc did not say that it increased my risk of ovarian cancer. BUT, I did not ask her that specifically. I had a diagnosis of complex hyperplasia w/o atypia before surgery from biopsies and a d&c......but my after hyster pathology report revealed there was atypia present after all. This was a possibility my surgeon had discussed with me pre-hyster. I did ask my surgeon post-hyster if there was anything more I needed to be concerned about concerning that diagnosis......and she said I no longer needed to worry about it, since uterus has now been removed. I also had my cervix removed at the recommendation of my doc. I still have both ovaries.
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM

I had everything removed...but in my case, I also had a sister and my Mom that had uterine cancer. I also had PCOS, polyps and a small fibroid, so removing everything was the answer for me. I have not had any problems with regards to menopause, but blood test revealed that even though I was only 47, I was just at the tail end of it anyways. Guess I got lucky there. And No cancer was found - so that was a bonus too! Good Luck with everything!
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Thanks for both answers and well wishes they have been of help quite considerably, and its nice to be able to discuss concerns with those who have experienced this problem.I will be talking all of this through with my gyne and will decide what type of action to take. Also its great to hear that the positive outcome for you both is no cancer. Heres hoping that mine comes
back all clear.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register