Should I buy some hysterectomy products? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I buy some hysterectomy products? Should I buy some hysterectomy products?

Unread 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Should I buy some hysterectomy products?

I am going to have a hysterectomy next month and I am in Canada. Should I buy some hysterectomy products, such as abdominal support binder...? So they can help me feel better in the hospital or at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Re: Should I buy some hysterectomy products?

At the time I had my hysterectomy in 2013, Hystersisters wasn't yet shipping to Canada, so I didn't buy a binder or anything - and then never found that I wanted one.

I bought (locally) some items that I knew I'd continue to use when my recovery was over - a lightweight, long-sleeved bathrobe and Croc wannabes for my hospital stay, a half-dozen throw pillows (there was a sale) and some fluffy new towels. All of that except the bathrobe came from Walmart. The bathrobe came from a Salvation Army thrift store.

You may hear from other sisters that their hospital gave them a binder. That might be a States thing? They sure don't do that in New Brunswick. But Walmart has binders if you decide after the fact that you want one.
Unread 03-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Hello! I recently had a LAVH and am now 1 week post op. I bought a binder because I was supposed to have a TAH. With it being laprosocopic I truly didn't need the binder. I would love to share what I have used and can not live with out post op:

-Ice packs ( used to help with swelly belly and also to put down on my vaginal area. Helped greatly with pain/swelling)
-Abdominal pillow (to put against your stomach when you cough, sneeze, get up, sit down. Any time you would 'engage" your abdominal muscles really. Mine was 8 in by 16 in and firm. Couldn't live with out!)
-Compression underwear (I didn't buy these for myself, I didn't think I would need them but a lady from my church group who had a hysterectomy bought them and said I would need them. Boy was she right. Just the right amount of support in the right places post op.)

And this concludes my list. Everyone is different and needs different things but this is what was "life savers" for me during my first week. The very best of luck to you on your surgery. I hope for a speedy recovery and happy healing!!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2016, 04:08 PM

I don't even know what binders are; my gynecologist's nurse didn't mention them either. All I ended up buying were loose loungewear pants as I had nothing but regular pants (trousers). Fortunately my underwear is not too loose, not too tight so I didn't need to purchase new ones.
Unread 03-09-2016, 07:04 PM

I've been told that some hospitals supply free ab binders - alas, mine did not but it doesn't hurt to ask in advance. Also, you might check with your doctor to see if he/she suggests a binder. While my doctor Said I could wear one if I felt it helped, some doctors don't like them at all - as they would rather you strengthen your ab muscles naturally. My binder was a lifesaver, because my stomach was jiggly and I was hunched over. But check with your doctor before you invest any money. The key if you get one is to be comfortable and luckily they are adjustable.

As others have already mentioned, granny panties are not fashion statements, but are soooo comfortable. Further down the line, you might want a lightweight cotton support panty. Also have rubber soled slippers on hand, for your daily walks marching around the house.

Hugs and best of luck.
Unread 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM

I have my surgery in 2014 and got the binder from here. I had to hold up my tummy as it pulled when I walked. I found it too long for me as I am short. It did hold everything in when I walked but I couldnd't use it sitting down as it dug into the incision. So I just wore granny panties. Too much work putting it on and off.
Unread 03-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Thanks all for the helps. I bought a binder set and a pocket pillow here. I am in Ontario. Hope I can get them on time.
Let's be strong !
Unread 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM

I did not get a binder, as my surgeon didn't think it was necessary. I probably would have gotten one if I were to get a TAH.

I made sure I had some pads handy, but I only needed panty liners for maybe a week or so. I didn't even spot until a week post op.

I bought the mesh panties but I never used them - I just didn't need them. Some of my regular underware are stretchy and comfy enough so they were more than fine.

Most things I bought were comfort type things....sugar free candy, my favorite snacks so I could do all of the comfort eating I was compelled to do...

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Regarding the ice packs, which are truly helpful, I just asked to take home the ones they used for me in the hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register