Business trip at 4 weeks post TAVH - thoughts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Business trip at 4 weeks post TAVH - thoughts? Business trip at 4 weeks post TAVH - thoughts?

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Business trip at 4 weeks post TAVH - thoughts?

My work just scheduled a business trip that I really need to attend and it is four weeks from my LAVH/BSO. I will have to fly to Chicago, stay overnight and attend a one day meeting. I'm sure I can pack pretty light (not sure what my lift restrictions will be). Anyone that has been through a LAVH/BSO have any thoughts on if this trip will be do-able? I have my preop next week and I will ask my Dr. She plans to release me back to work at 2 weeks post op but only because I work from home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Re: Business trip at 4 weeks post TAVH - thoughts?

Here are the issues I would be concerned about:

1) How long is your flight? If longish, be sure to get up and walk around frequently during the flight. Consider wearing compression stockings.

2) Have you been through menopause yet? If not, you're going to be going through surgical menopause. Even if HRT is an option for you after surgery, you probably won't have started it yet.

3) It's very possible that you won't be able to stay on top of your game for the entire day. Expect fatigue and loss of concentration as the day goes on. Pain may or may not still be an issue at this point - it wouldn't be for most women, but it is for some.

4) It's highly likely that your usual business attire won't fit due to "swelly belly." Be aware that swelly belly tends to increase as the day wears on.

5) You may want to consider staying over in Chicago *two* nights if your company will pay for it. You may need the second night to recover from the meeting before you face the flight home.

I had a TAH/BSO, which is a somewhat different surgery, and a relatively easy recovery. I happily returned to work at four weeks. However, I work at a desk job (the non-desk parts were put on hold for another two weeks). At this time of year my job is part-time and not at all hectic. The dress code is relaxed. These were all factors that made it possible for me to return.

One thing I've noticed on the post-op board is that women who had vaginal surgery seem to complain of pain/discomfort when sitting more so than women who did not, so that may be an issue for you.

Re: lift restrictions, four weeks was my transition from 10 lbs to 20 lbs.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:45 PM

It's difficult to say with any certainty how you will feel post op. We all recover very differently from this surgery. There were a couple good points made above that you should consider. Also please keep in mind that the general time off for hysterectomy is 6 weeks, assuming there are no complications.

I had a TVH and kept my ovaries. My doctor cleared me to return to my desk job at 8 weeks (and only part time for the first 2 weeks) and it was extremely difficult. I still had a fair amount of pain, still swelling considerably in my tummy and labia and sitting for more than half an hour at a time was challenging. Even little things we don't think much of like rolling your desk chair back and forth while sitting or reaching for a book were painful. And for many women the exhaustion hits hard.

It is very possible that at 4 weeks you will be feeling amazing and I have seen posts from women taking business trips early in their recovery. But I have also seen many posts from women who would not be able to tackle this challenge at 4 weeks.

Is there any way your work could reschedule this trip? Did they consult you before booking it? I agree, speaking with your doctor is the best idea, since s/he knows your health history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I will see my doctor next week and ask her too. I could possibly particpate by conference call but I would like to go if I am feeling up to it and if it is safe to travel. I would be going from NOLA to Chicago (hopefully direct flight which is about 2.5 hours) My company is going through some "changes" and I'd like to keep visible and stay in good graces. I didn't even think of the business clothes issue. I bet I won't hany comfortable to wear. You guys are awesome. Thanks again.
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:02 AM

Hi,

I was cleared to fly to a family function at approx the 3wk post op, went to work at 4 weeks post op and flew again at 5 1/2 weeks for a week long work trip.

I felt good but with hindsight I wish I had taken 6 weeks off work because once you're back, you're back.

Some extra tips from me based on my experience:
- don't do it unless you unless you really feel up to it or like you have to
- see if your work can fly you business class or at a minimum get a seat with extra leg room (you don't want anyone's seat on your lap)
- buy neutral colour compressions stockings and wear them
- get someone else to lift your bags in and out of taxis, off luggage racks
- wear sensible shoes (I love my heels)
- pack light (weigh your laptop bag, handbag before surgery and ask your dr if allowed to carry that weight)
- wear comfortable clothes that can handle belly swelling (I'm required to wear corporate wear and found dresses much more comfortable than suits)
- don't go out and 'party' too hard with your colleagues. You WILL be TIRED
- talk to your doctor BEFORE your surgery about how to best manage surgical menopause. SM is not fun.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1967 View Post
...My company is going through some "changes" and I'd like to keep visible and stay in good graces...
I hear you on that one! But remember, you want to keep visible in a *good* way, right? You don't want to be remembered as "that woman who was sitting at the conference table doubled over in pain."

If you can't show up and look good doing it, you may be better off video conferencing, wearing a sharp-looking top for the camera and not worrying about the loose-fitting sweat pants that the camera isn't picking up.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:10 PM

You guys are awesome! I really appreciate the details and advice. I am "planner" and y'all brought up things I hadn't even thought of yet. I have me Pre-op next week, I will let you know what my Dr says too. That video conferencing is sounding better! Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register