pre op hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op hysterectomy pre op hysterectomy

Unread 09-14-2001, 10:10 AM
pre op hysterectomy

I have just joined hystersisters and longing for some information regarding my upcoming surgery on October 10,2001. I am so nervous, almost scared, afraid that I am not doing the right thing. I am 43, mother of 2 grown girls. I have 3 uterine fibroids and a cyst on one of my ovaries. I have had irregular bleeding and feel terrible. I need to talk to someone please! My hemoglobin has dropped to 11.2, and I have a vitamin b12 deficiency. My back hurts and my abdomen feels bloated. THe birth control pill makes me nauseated and retain fluid....Girls....I am in a mess, please talk to me!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2001, 10:31 AM
pre op hysterectomy

Hello, Annette:

You have found the right place to put your fears at ease. I have only been a member about a month and have found so much wonderful info. and support on this website. My surgery is 3 October. I am having a supracervical hyst (keeping the cervix and ovaries). I am somewhat scared but really looking forward to getting it over with. I have fibroids, painful periods, and heavy bleeding. I have known now for about a little over a month that I was having the surgery. Had to wait till Oct because of a family commitment in late Sept. The waiting is the hardest part so they say. We'll see, I hope they are right!

Betty
Unread 09-14-2001, 10:49 AM
pre op hysterectomy

Thanks Betty for your reply. I wish you the best with your surgery and keep us posted.

Take Care,

Annette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2001, 11:11 AM
Support

Hey Girls,
Just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful site. I'm sitting here at work and I'm right at 4 months post-op and feel wonderful. I am almost 43 myself (Oct. 1) and the mother of four great kids and one grandson. Please know that this is YOUR decision and there will always be the questions of whether you really needed to have it done. I was one of the blessed ones that only had prolapse, but the MD did say I was a good candidate for elective hysterectomy. I really did want one, only so I wouldn't have to deal with my period. I have to be honest with you, that was a tough thing to go through just not to have a period. I did have lots of yeast infections and I know it was because my uterus couldn't drain properly. I don't even have any discharge or anything now. I really do encourage you to research this and ask any questions you have here and of your MD. He/She should welcome them and always have the time for them. If not, I'd think about find another MD to go to.

Hope you girls have a wonderful weekend and know that this is a good thing.

Take care,
Unread 09-14-2001, 12:11 PM
pre op hysterectomy

Dear Annnette,

We are "twins" I will be having my surgery on the 10th as well, it also happens to be my birthday, so I will be 45 at the time of my surgery and I have two college students and a wonderful husband.

I also was very panicky after the date was set for my surgery on August 15th and I thought I was stupid to do this and the wait seemed like forever, but I can tell you that coming across this website was a godsend!!! It has helped calm my fears and given me all the info I have wanted, I'm actually very glad that I have made the decision to do this, because after reading every princess story and every thread on this site, I know I will feel better and due to that I will be a better person ALL around!! My family is so happy that I will not be a PMS Queen anymore!!

So do some more research and go with what is in your heart, because it is YOU that has to want this, and no one else!!!
Email me if you want to talk somemore because we only have 27 more days to go!!!(but who's counting)

Brenda

TAH/BSO
October 10th
BlendaB@aol.com

:halfmast:
Unread 09-14-2001, 12:22 PM
pre op hysterectomy

Hi and welcome!

I am SO glad you found us! This site really helped me a year ago when I found out I had to have a TAH (Total Abdominal Hystectomy) due to a large fibroid.

Please read as much as you can, and post all your questions and fears here - we'll do our best to help.

:halfmast:
Unread 09-14-2001, 05:27 PM
Welcome Annette

This is the best place to be when you're facing surgery!! I've been here about a month and it's just great!

I'm 52, my surgery is a TAH BSO because of very large fibroids and the dr. is taking everything because of my age, and cancer history in our family. My abdomen is huge and I feel constantly bloated - lots of pain, pressure, cramps - just miserable!! So I am really ready for my surgery on Sept. 21st!

Visit all the forums, read, and ask questions - the sisters are so supportive and full of wonderful information and support. Hang in there and good luck,

Jane Elizabeth
Unread 09-15-2001, 06:09 AM
pre op hysterectomy

Hello Brenda,
THank you so very much for the reply. I am so glad that I happened by this website. My problem started the end of July when I began to have irregular bleeding. I guess you can call me impatient, but I do not want to deal with a period every 2 weeks (full blown) ,low back pain and bloating. I am a very active, I am a nurse, own an assisted living that I run out of my home, and do not have "time for the pain". For the last couple of years the PMS has been almost unbearable at times. I am divorced, but we still see each other as companions and support. (is that weird or what?) I have a daughter that is a senior in high school, and a 21 year old that hasn't decided what she wants to do yet.
I will admit that my business is stress in itself with having 8 residents living in my home as well as having frustrations with employee behavior.

I am a little nervous about the surgery because it all happened so fast, but in a way I am looking forward to it in hopes of feeling better. Just this morning I ordered some cute pajama sets and
I am already making a list of what I need to do in preparation.

I wanted a TVH but my MD suggests a TAH. I am so happy with the hyster sisters that I am going to buy the book, night shirt and coffee mug!! Lets talk again soon!

Take care,

Annette
Unread 09-15-2001, 07:24 PM
pre op hysterectomy

Hi Annette Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you've found us.

I had my hysterectomy for fibroids and rectocele, last December. I too was wondering if it was the right decision for me, since I never had any of the pain that others had to deal with, "just" heavy, almost constant bleeding.

The majority of hysts are performed to improve quality of life. Only you know to what extent your symptoms have affected your quality of life and your health. And only you can make the decision to have a hyst, or not, based on your doctor's recommendations.

One thing I wanted to mention, is that recovery from a hyst takes between 6 to 8 weeks. While you will not be bed-ridden during that time, you WILL be in need of lots of rest - I was amazed at how tired I would feel, even after I returned to work - and you will have lifting, bending, stretching and straining restrictions, along with restrictions as far as driving, bathing and sex are concerned.

Wishing you the best of luck on your up-coming surgery. We'll be with you every step of the way.
Unread 09-15-2001, 08:08 PM
Answers to so many questions

Hi Ladies,
I am so thrilled to have found this site. I have had problems with migraines, severe is a mild term, enlarged uterus with back pain that feels like back labor, and very irregular periods that are almost gone at this point. Anyway, this has been going on for a year.

I have visited a ob/gyn, a gp, a cardio, a neurologist, an allergist and a chirpractor. All of them seem to think it was all hormone related. I have had MRI's and CT's taken and loads of pills. At one point I was taking 9 pills a day. I have gained a ton of weight and now have high blood pressure. The docs say it's cause of the pain of the headaches. Did try bc pills and that was horrible!

I have a date for a TAH on 9/28 and I can't wait. I have heard different things about hormones. Can you give me advice? This is such a Godsend. Can't wait to hear from you.

Ellen in La.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register