Extreme sadness, I can't help it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Extreme sadness, I can't help it Extreme sadness, I can't help it

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Extreme sadness, I can't help it

I had a D&C about 3 weeks ago. Not for miscarriage, but because my uterine lining measured 30, when it should have been around 5. I also could not get a period to start, even with hormone pills. During the D&C, my doctor found and removed 42 polyps. My results came back normal. However, my doc told me that he couldn't believe the results were clean and that he would not expect them to be next time.

I have been blessed with 2 lovely girls, ages 9 and 10. I should be grateful that I don't have cancer. However, I can't shake the overwhelming sense of sadness I feel. I cry spontaneously and can't control it. I then feel guilty for being a big baby, then feel even more sad, and cry more.

I know this is the best for my long term health, it is just difficult to come to terms with. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.

Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Re: Extreme sadness, I can't help it

What your feeling is totally normal. Most sisters go through this feeling of sadness and grief pre op .I have 3 grown children and 4 grandchildren. My tubes were tied after my 3rd child was born ( over 20 years ago) I had absolutely no intentions of having any more children. Once I found out I needed a hysterectomy the sadness and feeling of loss and finality made me sad. I even talked to my hubby about freezing eggs in case we needed them later. He laughed , of course, as we don't need or want any more babies.I think this is just a mental process we go through pre op because it is such a final decision. Go ahead and feel free to cry like a baby and don't feel bad for crying!!
:cathugs:
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:17 AM

DeniseUSF,

What you are experiencing is normal. I remember when I had my D & C due to a miscarriage and a husband that wasn't supportive at all, I had a very hard time dealing with everything that I was going through. Please give yourself all the time you need. Remember that you will have your days but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better. Sending you plenty of Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

What you are experiencing is normal.

I never had children - a personal choice for DH and I. Yet, when I was told I needed a hysterectomy I cried. I felt very sad, and mourned the loss of my uterus and ovaries. I am still dealing with loss issues, and a feeling of being empty.

This is a very hard surgery to deal with. Give yourself permission to grieve and feel the sense of loss. You are NOT being a big baby. This is a BIG DEAL!

The knowledge that this is for your long-term health is the logical side of you talking. The emotional side still has to catch up with this whole thing. That is okay. Let her get on the site and post her feelings. It really does help.

Know that you are not alone with this - never on this site. We are here to help you through this.

Super for you....
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Do I ever relate! I feel the same way right now. I cry at the drop of a hat..and if you asked me why, I'd never be able to tell you. Found out I need a hysterectomy just last Wednesday..fibroid and cyst on ovary..mother had ovarian cancer when she was just 41..so family history there. DH and I don't plan on having any more kids, so I still can't figure out why this bothers me so much. I've had a few days of crying and am so tired. Surgery is not scheduled until July 23rd, so I have lots more time to stress about it..which isn't helpful. Hang in there..I totally understand how you feel.
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:04 PM

I can relate. I'm on a roller coaster because my uterus is part of what makes me a woman. Sadness, anger, grief, guilt, fear, and possibly dare I say hope?
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:58 AM

I feel the same way, so I am hoping also that these feelings are normal. I'm 48 with two beautiful children and my third grandchild on the way. My tubes were tied when I was 29 and I've always regretted having that surgery. I think that's why I'm feeling very sad about the hysterectomy; in the back of my mind I guess I always thought of a reversal. I know that really sounds nuts, but now I'm kind of regretting scheduling for the end of June. I almost want this over with sooner rather than later, just so I can grieve my lost reproductive organs and start healing. I think we're all normal; we just heal in different ways. Good luck to you.
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:19 PM

(((Hugs))) to all you ladies.

This is such a difficult surgery to digest - much more than any other surgery. All of these feelings you are having are very normal. There is a of emotions that can be very intense. There can be a very strong sense of loss, no matter what your personal situation. You may be mourning the loss of your uterus for some time. I cried when I found out I needed a hysterectomy, cried several times before my surgery and had multiple after.

It is okay to have these feelings - allow yourself time to grieve, be angry, and whatever other emotions you are feeling. They may be all over the map. You are not crazy! The women on this site understand how you feel - we have been there. We are here to support you, and together we will get you through this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register