how to explain to family help is needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how to explain to family help is needed how to explain to family help is needed

Unread 05-24-2006, 07:25 PM
how to explain to family help is needed

I just found out that I will be need a TAH Due to Cyst and Endo my family thinks that the next day iI will be back to normal I have 3 kids under 10 and need help, I have no family of my own and just my Husbands Family of who thinks that this is a in and out proceedure and that the next day I will be able to do jumping jacks HA is what I think of that! How do I tell them without sounding like a baby that I need help for a few weeks after the procedure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2006, 09:58 PM

Hi there, what I found helpful when I was pre op was the "FAQ's For Family and Friends" ( click here ) .
I printed it and gave it to my DH. It sure helped open his eyes to what to expect & how best to help me. Maybe it would be a help to you too.
I think that it might be worth a try

s
Unread 05-24-2006, 10:11 PM

HUGS. People are so oblivious sometimes. When the butcher who cut my hair today asked about my weekend plans & I told her about surgery she said "oh those things are nothing these days, my friend just had one". GGGRRRRR. I would suggest printing up an article from this site or any other that describes what recovery is like. Also have your doctor write you a very clear note for the family....with things like Bed rest for X weeks, no driving for x weeks, no exercise, no lifting anything over x pounds, etc. Don't you DARE do too much trying to please them. You should let them know YOU need to be taken care of & you will not be able to take care of ANYTHING for several weeks & you all need to work out a schedule. OH now I see someone posted an idea...ya, what she says. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 12:12 PM

You need to just sit them all down and ask for help and see who offers.This will be very hard with kids that young. Mine is 19 and still thinks cause I look ok and can walk around I should wait on him and I remind him I'm not ok yet. ASk Ask ASK for help . Even ask friends. SHB957
Unread 05-25-2006, 12:48 PM

I completely feel your pain. i was actually going to post a thread similar to the one you posted. Difference being, DH's grandparents(59 and 65) live with us. The day after my lapro, which my DH took off to take care of me... she had him out all day running errands for her while she sat on her bootie watching soap operas. needless to say, my DH won't make that mistake again.

This was my husband after... . No, just kidding, he didn't cry exactly, but...let me tell you, he has been nothing but an since!
Unread 06-19-2006, 01:02 PM
TAH on June 13

Hello

I am 6 days post-op & you will definitely need help. This is major surgery & it's gonna be hard to move around. I had abdominal, is that what you're having? I've been told that there are stitches inside & moving around too much will pull them loose. Hopefully your family will understand & help you out. My children are 15 & 13. I am upstairs most of the time & believe me it is hard going up & down stairs still. Good luck w/ your surgery & getting your family/friends to help. Cindy
Unread 06-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Thanks my date is july 12not really looking for it at all all my family thinks that I will bounce back and all will be good as soon as I get home My children go back to school a few week later august 7 so hopefully by then i can be mobile I am a stay at home mom and I am starting school in aug 22 so I am really looking forward to it

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register