Is post-TAH recovery much different than C-Section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is post-TAH recovery much different than C-Section? Is post-TAH recovery much different than C-Section?

Unread 06-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Is post-TAH recovery much different than C-Section?

Reading through some of the post-op discussions, sounds much like post-op from C-Section. Have any of you experienced both, and is there much difference?

Several years ago, I had bikini-line C-section, and Dr. says she'll just do my TAH on the same scare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2007, 04:11 PM

I posted a thread about this not long ago. I think you can search it. I can sum up the responses for you--hyst seems to be more difficult. The problem is that you have so many internal stitches with a hyst. That is what takes so long to heal.
Unread 06-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Yes, there is a difference. My niece had her 2nd C section at the same time that I had my total hysterectomy with everything taken out. Her recovery from the c section, while painful, was much much shorter than a hysterectomy. With a c section, just the baby comes out. With a hysterectomy, your organs are removed, moved around and the surgery is generally much longer. In about a week my niece was feeling pretty good after her c section. After my hysterectomy, I didn't start feeling good until around week 5 or 6. I hope this doesn't scare you. My surgery was particularly painful because I had fibroids and endometriosis for the drs. to deal with. Once I was past week 5, I felt a lot better and it was worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2007, 07:54 PM

I think everyone's experience is different. I had a C-Section in 2001 and I thought the Hysterectomy was a lot easier to get over. I had everything removed. I am at 3 weeks on Tuesday.
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:53 PM

I am three days out from a TAH due to fibroids. They removed everything due to scar tissue, adhesions, and undiscovered until then endometriosis.

I had previously had 2 myomectomies and a c-section. Much of the pain and recovery so far is the same. In that they gave me an epidural shot of morphine, it was a little the same as my sect because I woke up sooner with less pain.

What is different and not the norm for most TAH is that I have a catheter. It only has to be for a week, and that is not the norm for most hyst patients.

I am too early give a real comparison, so this probably didn't help much. You'll find out on the other side. I asked this same question not too long ago.

HUGS
Unread 06-10-2007, 03:31 AM

I had general anesthesia and when I woke up I also had a catheter. They kept it in until the day after surgery then took it out. I had a TAH BSO. My niece just had a c section and I'm quite sure she had a catheter for a few days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register