Can't have HRT... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't have HRT... Can't have HRT...

Unread 05-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Can't have HRT...

Unless I missed them, I have not seen any posts on those that are unable to have HRT and natural alternatives due to endo. I am trying to educate myself but was wondering what everyone has found out or is doing about this...at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2006, 04:44 AM
Can't have HRT...

I have found out the hard way that I cannot have ERT and natural remedies for estrogen replacement, such as soy, are also a big no-no for me becaue of endometriosis. All my endo was not removed during my hyst. I am not all that far along in my recovery, 3 months, but so far I take 4 calcium/vitamin Ds and 2 vitamin Es. I have the occasional hot flash and night sweats, my hair had thinned out (I shed more than the dog now), and my body aches (but now I blame it on the crummy weather we've been having for the last week). But for me it is survivable, I do notice my trips to the bathroom have been more frequent. I have been attempting to use progesterone cream (doc said it couldn't hurt to try and this could be why I am in the bathroom more) and it does help me sleep a little bit better. A sister in another thread hit the head on the nail her moods were flat. That would describe mine, but compared to the psycho I was before...much better.
Hope this helps.
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Can't have HRT...

I had my hysterectomy for endo to. I'm using some supplements, herbs, and natural progesterone cream. I am only 7 weeks since my surgery. I do feel better than I have in years.

I had talked with my doctor prior to and after my surgery regarding what I'm taking and he told me it was fine.

Best of luck,

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Can't have HRT...

Thanks! Did you notice any changes in breast size?? All of a sudden mine look different to me!
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Can't have HRT...

I have also been reading about the positive benefits of yoga!! I am certainly not ready to stretch...but it even mentioned increased libido for women in menopause. Has anyone else looked into this?
Unread 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Can't have HRT...

I can't have estrogen due to endo too. Ovaries were removed. My doctor recommended a regimen of vitamins, fish oil, and a black cohash product called Remifemin, all over the counter. So far I have some annoying but tolerable hot flushes and not much else. Not sure about the vaginal dryness yet. I'm also the sister mentioned with the flat emotions. I'm looking for this to get better as time goes on. I'm just 7 weeks out. I am more worried about bone loss as osteoporosis runs in my family. I see my dr tomorrow for my post-op. I have lots of questions about this hormone thing. If I find out anything helpful, I'll post again. Best wishes for your recovery.
Unread 05-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Can't have HRT...

Thank you for asking this question. My surgery is scheduled in a couple of weeks and we think I will lose my left ovary due to cysts and could lose my right due to endo. This is my biggest worry for post-op. I want the pain to end (have suffered from massive cramping and almost daily pain for over 20 yrs - since I pretty much started my period the first time- my dr. says she is really concerned about the damage and hopes that it isnt all over my cervix so we can keep it. Any information you find please forward it on. thank you again!
Unread 05-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Can't have HRT...

I had my 7 week post-op dr visit today and he reiterated that he wanted me to avoid estrogen for 6 months to let the residual endo disintegrate. He said if I was miserable (I'm not.)he would give me a prescription for estrogen and I could take my chances with the endo recurring. But I'm almost 2 months now, so I think I can make it 4 more months, even in the Texas heat. He recommends black cohash for the hot flashes and I think that is helping. I no longer stay awake pulling the covers up and down to accomodate the temperature swings.
The flat emotions he said were due to the lack of estrogen and hopefully will become more normal in time. For the possible bone loss, I am taking 1200 mg daily of Calcium with Vitamin D. He also recommends Vitamins A,E, and B6, a multivitamin, and fish oil. He wants me to get a bone density test and will decide on the need for a bone loss med. based on that test. By the way, I am over 50 with a strong family history of osteoporosis, so precautions are in order. You younger ladies might only need calcium. Of course, weight-bearing exercise is part of the regimen too. So all in all, this is not too bad. I can live with this. No regrets about the hysterectomy. It was the trade-off for getting my life back with no pain, no awful periods, no worry about cancer. I wish each of you a good recovery wherever you are in the process.
Unread 05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Can't have HRT...

I can't use black cohosh. I had a tah/bso and when I take black cohosh I feel bad. I'm using vitex, promensil, calicum with vitamin d, women's multiple, vit B 6, evening primrose oil, flax seed oil, and natural progesterone cream.

I tried the black cohosh in the past and I had problems. I tried it again it was in the phyto prolief I was using, but I felt miserable now I'm using Prolief.

I do exercise 5 days a week as well.

Sharon
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Can't have HRT...

Have you felt any different since you have been using all that stuff?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register