Involuntary Stretching 18 days post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Involuntary Stretching 18 days post hysterectomy Involuntary Stretching 18 days post hysterectomy

Unread 06-18-2017, 04:25 AM
Involuntary Stretching 18 days post hysterectomy

Hello Everyone,
I am 18 days post hysterectomy and I've been having several bouts of involuntary stretching, but only at night. Has anyone else experienced this? It actually feels good although sometimes it scares me because I think I am going to injure myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Re: Involuntary Stretching 18 days post hysterectomy

I think it's natural to stretch without thinking about it if we've been in a position too long. In the morning, stretching gets the blood flowing. I was *so* aware of not trying to stretch my tummy after surgery - because when I did, it kinda hurt! What I would do when I stretched and felt those twinges, I forced myself to stop, and then stretch one limb at a time as long and as fully as I wanted. That seemed to help eliminate the need for a full body stretch.

Unread 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Hi, I started having the 'involuntary' stretching while in the bed around the 3 to 4 week mark. Most of this happened in the morning. I would just be laying there and it felt like my tummy muscles would stretch on their own. I kinda let it happen but made sure that there was no pain. Sometime I would put my hand over the part that is stretching just to make sure it didn't turn into a cramp. Some others have mentioned this also. Part of it is the body working itself out after major surgery.
If it starts to get painful or you feel uncomfortable with it give your dr. a call.
Take care of yourself!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2017, 07:00 PM

SOOO glad to have found this discussion on hystersisters! I am 4 1/2 weeks post op total hysterectomy/anterior bladder repair. For the past week and a half just before I wake up in the morning I find my legs stretching like somebody's pulling them and my abdomen as well! It is totally involuntary and I have to actually breathe through it to stop the process of it. It doesn't hurt; it just feels weird because I'm not controlling it at all. The only reason that I stop it is because I don't want to injure anything. Totally odd feeling. Anyone else?
Unread 09-04-2017, 05:37 AM

I'm 17 days post-op, and the last few mornings I've noticed the same thing! As I'm waking up my body starts stretching without me intending it. I haven't felt any pain from it, but also force myself to stop for fear of damaging those internal healing tissues (after 17 days I'm still bleeding and overly cautious about my body's movements and doing too much)
Unread 09-04-2017, 06:44 AM

I have had the same thing going on for the past week or so! I love this site so much. It's so reassuring to know all the strange things that happen after this surgery are normal!

I have been trying Cussette's strategy of stretching one limb at a time. Works great for me! I still have a little internal pain/pulling when I stretch my abdomen, so I'm trying to hold off on that for now.
Unread 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM

OMG! I'm 7 days out from a laparoscopic process that took my ovaries, uterus, and a lot of scar tissue removal and I had no idea what was happening. They've started to chill...but it did kind of scare me at first.
Unread 09-04-2017, 04:58 PM

I thought I was totally alone on this! Very surprised to see this thread! Thank you!
Unread 09-22-2017, 04:34 PM

So glad I found this post! I've had this involuntary stretch in the morning where my entire abdomen tightens up and even shudders - I can't control it and it was freaking me out until I searched this site and saw other women have experienced the same thing. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Hi VJ61,
I posted on here about three weeks ago about the involuntary stretching. I am now nearly 8 weeks postop and it still happens five out of seven mornings. It seems to be only when I'm waking up in the morning and when I try to move ( as in turning or rolling over). I asked my doctor about it at my last check up and she had only heard of it a few times and was not extremely helpful! Very grateful for this site – it made me feel a whole lot less weird – LOL! I'm still not comfortable with having it happen, but it's more annoying now than scary. I must say I'm wondering how long it goes on. Isn't it good to know that we're not alone and all the strange things that happen have happened to somebody else as well?! Take care!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register