Questions about a TVH BSO w/anterior repair | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about a TVH BSO w/anterior repair Questions about a TVH BSO w/anterior repair

Unread 04-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Questions about a TVH BSO w/anterior repair

I'm scheduled for surgery on 12 April. Had my appt with doc today and she wants to perform the surgery vaginally -- she said she may end up peforming TAH. She will perform a bladder tact if required. My questions are these:
1) How long is the hospital stay for a TVH?
2) What about sex after a TVH? I read the vagina can be shortened due to this surgery and it can cause painful intercourse. I'm very concerned about this and I wonder if I'm worried over nothing. If this is the case I'm considering calling the doctor and asking her to perform a TAH instead.
Now I'm getting nervous about this vaginal procedure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 10:15 PM

Hi dtspeck, I am having a TVH in 4 weeks. I will be admitted on Tuesday and come home on Friday, if all goes well.
My sister had the operation done 2 years ago and she has said that her vagina wasn't any different after all the swelling went down and she was fully recovered. A few ladies on this wonderful site have also mentioned that there wasn't any noted difference. I have had the same concerns as you and have had my mind put to rest by all the great information that you can find on this site.
Unread 04-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Debbie,

A TAH will not guarantee that your vagina won't be shortened. That is what I had and mine was definitely shortened. The big question is whether or not you will have your cervix removed. If it is removed, you will be shortened. How much depends on your anatomy and your surgeon. Some women and their partners can tell no difference, for others, it can be devastating.

Of consideration should be the size of your partner. My doctor assured me that my sex life would not be affected in any way, as a matter of fact he assured me it would be better. Now, in hindsight, I wonder how he could have made such a statement without ever asking me one single question about my sex life- orgasms, partner, etc. For example, he didn't ask me what kind of orgasms I had and, unfortunately for me, they were deep orgasms (uterine and cervical) and not clitoral. Ever. Therefore, I have completely lost my orgasms. Also, he was adamant that he did not shorten me, even though my partner could no longer penetrate fully. He insisted everything was "normal." Well, when I was finally examined by a woman doctor who is an expert in female sexual dysfunction, she said, "Normal, I suppose, IF your partner has a TEENY WEENY!!!" Which would have been funny if the circumstances weren't so tragic!

All I can say now to women going into this surgery is to become as fully informed as you possibly can. Make sure ALL your questions are answered and you understand completely what is going to be done to you. If you have any doubts, postpone the surgery until you are 100% certain that this is the best course of treatment for you. You can always reschedule but you can never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 07:15 AM

I had a TVH 9 wks ago. The only difference DH and I have found so far is that things are a bit tighter - and he is not complaining. For me the sensation is different, but in a very good way, everything has been more intense. Hope this helps. This is just my , please remember that everyone is different. Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-05-2006, 07:31 AM

The TVH & TAH both take the cervix, so the length result should be the same for either procedure. This article: Vagina - Is it shorter after hysterectomy? shares the analogy my GYN used about the apple & the glass. Some women with prolapse issues may actually end up with more room once their fallen uterus is removed. Share your concerns with your doctor so you'll be comfortable with your decisions.

DH & I didn't notice any difference.

Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:45 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I think I will make a call to my doctor to discuss. I'm assuming the shortened vagina does not happen with a TAH? My orgasms are clitoral, so that doesn't so much bother me, and my DH isn't huge (god would he die if he read this) but he's not a teeny weeny either. But then there are 'toys' which we enjoy ... It is a little embarrasing to ask the doc, but I'd rather ask then be disappointed. I'm sure they can't guarentee anything, but... thank you!
Unread 04-08-2006, 01:04 AM

My surgery was a TAH (and BSO) and my vagina was [i]definitely[i/] shortened. The problem I see with the apple and glass analogy is that there is no defining line for the surgeon to cut on and every doctor can do his/her "own thing" when it comes to surgical techniques. (For example, does your surgeon practice worrelling?) The uterus and cervix are not two separate organs, even though they have been labeled separately. (Think of a human heart- yes, we've labeled the "left Atrium" from the "left Ventricle" but they are all part of the same organ.) Therefore, you are subject to where your surgeon determines he/she wants to cut, how she/he cuts and to your own unique anatomy. :confuse:

I only point this out because too often we go into surgery thinking there are standards or rules in place when in reality, there are not.

Another question I would suggest asking your doctor is whether or not he/she has been trained and practices the nerve sparing technique. Again, this label is a bit misleading because, in fact, to this date, no one has yet completely mapped out the neuropathways to the female genitalia, so there is no guaranteed "nerve sparing" technique, but there is a technique that has been developed to spare us as many of the nerves that are known about at this point in time. Having a surgeon trained in this technique could possibly make a world of difference in your outcome. (My doctor was untrained in this technique, and I have severe nerve damage.)

It's worth pointing out that I had a very "experienced" doctor, but experience does not automatically translate to updated and informed. This is why I think it's very important to ask your doctor all these questions before your surgery. I think it's definitely worth it, if you're going to have the surgery, to make sure you have the best doctor you can possibly find. Research statistics say women are more likely to have a positive outcome if they use a gyn oncological surgeon to do the surgery rather than an OB/GYN. This may be worth checking out for you.

My main point is this: Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions. Make a list and ask anything and everything you want. If your doctor does not seem to want to sit down with you and take the time to answer all your questions, make certain that you are comfortable and satisfied; then take that as a warning and consider interviewing another surgeon. The reason I say this is that a doctor who will not take the time to listen to you and take your concerns seriously before surgery, could present a real problem for you should you have any post-op complications or problems. It's very, very important that you are comfortable talking with your doctor.

Good luck with everything and best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.
Unread 04-08-2006, 04:52 PM

I did place a call to my doctor on Thursday to discuss. She said Yes there is the possibility of the vagina being shortened when you have a TVH, not when you have a TAH. So, after discussing with DH, we decided to go for the TAH to avoid any possibility of this happening. I'd rather go thru a little additional pain with a TAH, then a lifetime of discomfort in case my vagina ended up being shortened. Doctor was fine with question as well as my decision. She was always a little unsure as to whether or not she would be able to perform the TVH as I have not had children, but after an exam, she felt there was a possibility she could perform the TVH, but she had both TVH and TAH on the surgical orders, just in case. She's performed many TVH's so that wasn't a concern. She prefers the TVH as the recovery is much nicer she said.

Thank you all for your honest and heartfelt replies, it really does help to talk to real women who have had the experience of a hysterectomy. I'm really glad that I waited two months from the time I was told I needed this done. It gave me time for research, questions, and validation for my decisions. I'm the type of person who wants to be informed...about the good and the bad and make my decision from all facts. Thanks again ladies -- 4 days and counting.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register