my LAVH has been changed to TAH | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my LAVH has been changed to TAH my LAVH has been changed to TAH

Unread 08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
my LAVH has been changed to TAH

ahh! i have been doing all my research on lavh and getting ready for it in 7 days.

my pre-op was today and my surgeon told me that on closer inspection laproscopic surgery was too difficult in my case. i'm still going in on the 26th, but i feel rushed and unsure now.

i'm not sure what to expect pain wise, can i use the belly band in the hospital, should i leave it for when i get home? is it really that helpfull? will it hurt to use it? i'm kind of in a panic, where yesterday i was confidant and ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 12:39 AM

Sorry, I can't really help. I had a LAVH and didn't need the belly band. You may want to ask you DR/nurse about using it in the hospital. You'll have bandages on so it may not be a good idea. But like I said, I'm not really sure. Otherwise I would wait til I got home to see if I needed it or not.
Unread 08-21-2008, 05:06 AM

Hi stash.ash,
I had my TAH about 8 weeks ago. Bring your belly band, but to be honest you probably won't use it. Between catheters, IVs, and compression boots you may not want to wear anything else.

I can share my experience with you. I was in pain when they moved me to my room after surgery. I just kept letting the nurses know my pain level until they were able to get it under control. After that I stayed on top of when I was supposed to get my pain meds and things were fine. (Sore but bearable).

I advise that you stick to a liquid diet until you pass gas. Even if they let you eat stay liquid! The best things I did for myself to get ready was cook and freeze meals ahead of time, and I brought my own nighty to wear. It made me feel more comfortable even though the hospital gowns were fine. I also took a fanny pack and strapped it to my bed-railing. In it I had chapstick, a pad of paper and pencil (to write down when I took my meds) and my cell phone. The fanny pack was right at my fingertips and I didn't have to stretch to find things.

It's true, a TAH takes much longer than a LAVH to heal, but each week you will feel better. Take your time to heal, be patient with yourself and enjoy the down time. Wishing you peace and confidence as you prepare for this unexpected change. Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM

thank you so much!
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:30 PM

I also had a TAH. I don't remember much about recovery but waking up 3 different times with pain and I guess they gave me something for it and it knocked me right back out. After that I woke up in my hospital room, Do't remember going there. I had my own pain pump, I was not in pain at all, But that could be because of the pain pump, I was allowed to push it every 20 min., and I did, in order to stay on top of the pain. I even passed gas the first night. The next day they removed the catheter and the pain pump. And I got to eat regular food because I already passed gas. I had no trouble urinating on my own, and my pain was managed fine after the pain pump with percoceet and Ibuprofen 800mg. alternated every 4 hrs. The only problem I had was moving my bowels, but that did finally happen a week after I was home. So having a TAH isn't that bad. Mine was a bikini cut with 9 staples. Do you know if it is bikini or belly button down?? Either way, it's better you found out now then to wake up and find out that he had to switch it. Good luck and wishing you a speedy and pain-free surgery and recovery.
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM

thank you.

i have no idea yet if i'll have bikini cut. i also have to have my aortic aneurysm fixed so she said i might end up with an incision from my ribcage down.
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM

I had my TAH BSO 11 weeks ago. The doc. put a band on me from the hospital right away. It really helped me. Supports. I wore it for weeks at home too.

I cannot take pain medicines so it was rough for a while. I only stayed in the hospital one night, because it is hard to sleep with nurses in and out. Hubby stayed with me the whole time and he stayed at home with me until I was ready for him to go to work, 8 days later. He did not travel for work for about three weeks.

I just sat in a big, comfy chair with my feet on an ottoman. Didn't stay in bed. Hubby helped me up and down for quite a while.

You can do it. Learn all you can. Ask questions, we are here for you.

I had the disappering stiches on my bikini cut. They are neat!

I had a two week check up. Doctor just checked the incision and answered questions. Then a 6 week check up.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register