Has anyone read the book "The Hysterectomy Hoax" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone read the book "The Hysterectomy Hoax" Has anyone read the book "The Hysterectomy Hoax"

Unread 05-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Has anyone read the book "The Hysterectomy Hoax"

I read this book last night and it was very interesting reading, although it did not change my mind personally.

It is written by Stanley West, MD, who is a gyno in NY. In it he basically writes that 90% of hyst are unneccessary, and that the only time that they should be done are for cancer. He also writes that they are mainly done to make money for doctors/hospitals. And that we don't completely understand all that the uterus does and that we are often left with more problems after the surgery than we had going in.

The book is a fairly fast read, because most of it is individual chapters on various reasons for hysts and other options you may want to consider instead. I skipped all the ones that didn't apply to me.

Since I do work in the birth field, I can understand his criticisms. I can tell you that obstetrics is one of the most corrupt branches of medicine out there (I say as an insider fighting against it!) So, since most ob's are also gyn's, I have no doubt that he is in fact giving a realistic depiction of the situation.

Even though it didn't change my mind, I do recommend it I think for anyone who is even remotely on the fence about doing this.

For me, it didn't change my mind, because I have already tried the other options first that he suggests, and unfortunately they were not successful for me. Most of the side effects he also says women have post-op, I already have now. They aren't going anywhere if I do nothing, but they might after surgery, and the non-stop bleeding will definitely go away.

So, here's the thing. I realize I do not NEED to have a hyst. I will not die without it. I could live with my current issues - I have lived with them for years. Basically, I am making a choice not to live like this anymore. I don't think hyst is going to solve all the issues, I will still have an ovary so their will still be the hormonal imbalances which caused this mess in the first place. My only expectation is that I will no longer bleed most of the time.

What the book did do for me was help me reflect on why I wanted to do this and what I expected to gain out of it. Now having done that, I can say I am even more sure of my decision.

I am interested in others' thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Re: Has anyone read the book "The Hysterectomy Hoax"

Nope, never heard of it. Probably wouldn't have read it either. But I am glad that it reaffirmed your choice for you. We should always have a second opinion and other options presented until hyster is definately needed. Many of us on this site have also chosen to have a hyster instead of other options for various reasons, but I personally think that it is our bodies and we know what chances we are willing to take/not take with them.

Glad it helped you though.
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Hi Refuah

I read that book as part of my own research in deciding whether a hysterectomy was the right option for me. At the time I read it, I was very opposed to having a hysterectomy, and for the same reasons he wrote about.

However, his approach in saying that cancer is the only reason for a hysterectomy was a red flag for me. To me, that felt like he was telling me what was best for me without knowing anything about my situation. And that got me wondering about what factors should be part of making the hysterectomy decision.

Ironically, his book was part of what got me thinking that I should actually give a hysterectomy serious consideration, as it motivated me to look at some other resources that gave me important things to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2011, 12:00 PM

I hadn't heard of that book, but I took a look on Amazon and was able to read the intro on there. Having lived with these fibroids for 10 years now, I have done loads of research and that is why I tried a UAE (uterine artery embolization) which at the time I had to combat my medical insurance for a year to pay for because they considered it experiential. After the UAE I didn't 'flood' any more so it made my life more manageable, but I did continue to have extremely heavy periods and the fibroid didn't shrink. I was offered a myomectomy but I was afraid to have that due the increased risk of complications and I also didn't want to risk the fibroids growing back.

I resisted a hysterectomy for years, but when I learned of the laparoscopic method and especially the robotic assisted da vinci method I couldn't wait to have it done and so far I am SO GLAD I did. The doctor said he wanted to remove my cervix also but i insisted he not do that since there really was no reason to. he said there is no reason to keep it and I disagree. I also kept my ovaries.

I am shocked at how often doctors will jump to remove things though instead of trying a less invasive method first. I think it is also deeply unfortunate how so many doctors do not even discuss the various potential side effects-such as the potential effects of a person's sex life.

I think every woman needs to do loads of research and speak to at least 2 doctors or more before making any decisions. Some doctors are much more knowledgeable than others, and some learn new techniques while others don't. That's what I did and now I am thrilled with my decision.
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM

I agree that everyone should do all posible research before any surgery. Only thing is that it's obviously a man who wrote it. Otherwise, unresolvable periods from hell would be a valid reason for the surgery.
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafter29 View Post
I agree that everyone should do all posible research before any surgery. Only thing is that it's obviously a man who wrote it. Otherwise, unresolvable periods from hell would be a valid reason for the surgery.
Good point, no one can really appreciate what we go through if they haven't experienced it!

I would have had another of my hell-borne periods this week and am ecstatic that I will never have to deal with THAT again!!!
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Kind of funny that a book that is supposed to convince you not to have a hyst, had the same effect on both of Frizi and I. Since I agreed to this, I have been fine with the choice, but reading the book completely convinced me it was the right thing to do and now I am completely 100% sure. Probably not the intent, and I am not trying to convince anyone not to have surgery - or tell anyone they shouldn't have!

Raelua - I have a similar history to you, with just different procedures along the way. I have done hormone therapy and 2 other laproscopic procedures to remove polyps and endo as well as a novasure ablation. I really did try and avoid the hyst for as long as possible, so that I could KNOW at the end of the day that I really did do everything possible to not have to resort to this. Oh, and I completely agree on seeing more than one doctor and doctor-hunting. I also switched docs/hospitals along the way just to find someone who does a lot of the surgery I need and does it in the best way possible.

For me, the benefits outweigh the risks right now and it is time.
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Could only be a man to say you shouldn't have a hyst unless it was for cancer - only someone who can't possibly understand the pain and misery you go through could come up with this.

I could have lived without mine but I was sick and tired of the bleeding, the pain, the misery and the very fact that it was dictating my life so shy shouldn't I be able to live my life without those problems - Just as he can.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register