one more question with 4.5 days to go... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

one more question with 4.5 days to go... one more question with 4.5 days to go...

Unread 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM
one more question with 4.5 days to go...

TAH on 30th. Today I began the mad dash to shop, clean, and put up holiday decs before then. Somewhat relaxed but I do have one more question. Dr. said I will have pain pump. Do they wait until you wake up to give pain meds? I am afraid of waking up in hysterical pain, which I remember with last surgery alo g with the pain of being moved into a bed. That terrifies me. Can I request drugs as soon as they see I am coming out of anesthesia? Pain is my biggest fear...surgery itself isn't scaring me at all ..weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Re: one more question with 4.5 days to go...

I was told you,ll be giving pain med through IV so you,ll wake up feeling better, I go Monday. Hope you find this to be reassuring. Good luck. Cat
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Yes, very...I was afraid they would wake me up and then give the morphine. Good luck to you on Monday! I will look forward to comparing notes during recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM

I woke up with pain pump & was in little discomfort. Make certain to discuss your fears with both the doctor & antestesiologist. They can't read our minds to know our fears.
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:27 PM

If your experience in the hospital is similar to mine, when you wake up they will ask you what pain level you have. Everyone is different, so they are going to rely on you to tell them. They will then respond accordingly. You will be given access to your pain pump when you are more alert.

(((HUGS)))
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat1357 View Post
I was told you,ll be giving pain med through IV so you,ll wake up feeling better, I go Monday. Hope you find this to be reassuring. Good luck. Cat
I go Monday as well. Good luck to and lets hope for no pain!
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM

I woke up back in my hospital and hooked up to the pain pump. As I was waking up they told me if I felt any pain to just press it. I loved my pump, it was magical. I was so sad when they took it away the next day but to be honest, I wasn't in much pain the second day.
Unread 11-26-2011, 12:18 PM

I woke up on the pain pump and they asked me how much pain i was in. I had some but not hysterical to any stretch of the imagination. The pain pump is wonderful!!
Unread 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM

My doctors waited until I was awake to give me anything in part due to them having problems waking me up and also I have allergies to almost all pain meds. They had to make sure I was awake enough to tell them if there was a problem-which I ended up developing hives, itching and difficulty breathing. So they were being very careful-thank goodness- with me. I remember after that they had my mom with me in case of any further reactions because they gave me Benadryl.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register