Random med question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Random med question Random med question

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Random med question

Ladies...I know I should just call my doc or wait for the hospital pre admission check in to ask, but I want to be prepared. If you're on medications, do you bring them with you when you go in to the hospital? I'm on anti-anxiety and anti-migraine meds that I have to take daily or else I get sick. I just want to make sure I refill my rx in plenty of time. I didn't think to ask my dr last time I saw him if I bring these along and if I'd be allowed to take them when in the hospital.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Re: Random med question

Jp1104 -

I believe you bring those with you to take, but confirm with your doctor. Sometimes, the hospitals want to prescribe the medicine themselves for you during the hospital stay.

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Our hospital only gives their meds not your own. So I'd double check with your hospital or doctor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM

I was told to leave my meds home and the hospital would provide them, that way they'll be taken properly while I'm drowsy from the pain meds. All my doctors are under the same hospital and the hospital had more than one site and all records are electronic....makes it easier to see what you may have forgot. Plus I get all my meds from one pharmacy!
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM

At the pre-op appt they asked what meds I was on and the dosages. The hospital had them for me while I was there.
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:58 PM

I have a form to fill out listing all current medications. I would ask your doctor in advance about your medications - you may need to be switched to something else or adjust your schedule prior to the surgery based on the meds they plan to give during your stay.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:45 AM

Hospitals can not allow you to take medications from home. You could have a reaction to something else you are taking during your stay.

Talk to your doctor and make sure he orders your regular every day meds. Just putting them on the intake form will not guarantee that you will be given them while in the hospital.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:59 AM

Thankd everyone! I'm going to call my dr today and make sure I'm all set. A week and a half to go and I'm a nervous wreck!
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:32 AM

I got to take mine in as they didn't have it at the hospital for some reason. It had to be in its original packaging etc. I had to give it to them so they could give it to me at the right time.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register