staples or stitches for TAH? - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

staples or stitches for TAH? staples or stitches for TAH?

Unread 03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
staples or stitches for TAH?

My doctor told me I will have stitches on the inside and staples on the outside. We'll find out next Wed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 01:55 PM

I had staples on the outside. They were pretty small. I was also worried about them before my surgery, but they were no problem. I got them out one week later and I felt a few slights tugs, but nothing major. Then I had steri-strips on for another week. So far, no problems with the incision at all. I'll be one month post-op tomorrow. I had my DH take pictures of it the day I came home so I could look back and compare my healing.

Ursula
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:59 PM

My DR. went in my old c-section scar. Actually they cut out the nasty keloided scar and gave me a new very skinny one. It is 6" up and down but I had no external stitches or staples. They did put the steri strips on. I left them on for two weeks, shoulda taken them off sooner as my skin came off with them. ouch!!!! I will probably not be able to see my new scar it is so thin. Oh ~ I had glue for surgery I had done last year, not good if you are chemically sensitive though. I think you should ask your Dr. what they use and go from there. Best wishes to all that are going in soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM

Taking a picture isn't a bad idea. My nurse told me to take a good look at my scar every day and if it looks "different" to call them or my doctor.
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:36 PM

I had glue for my incision! Seems kind of scary but seems to be working!
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:10 PM

I had stitches that are not visible from the outside!
All I could see were the steri-strips. These came off at two weeks. I really appreciated not having staples. My gyn does it this way as he feels it gives a better cosmetic result.
Unread 03-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Well there's usually internal stitches that dissolve and also stitches up at the top of the vagina since you are having a total (uterus and cervix) hysterectomy. Don't even think about putting anything inside the vagina until dr. clears you for intercourse. As for the outside incision it's up to the dr. You could probably ask your dr. before the surgery if he will give you staples or stitches since dr's usually come and visit you before your surgery. They usually don't stay long though so if you really want to know you can ask or just wait till you wake up and you can ask the nurse what you have on the outside. Good luck to you. s

I think iluvpurple was thinking about a type of glue. Sometimes dr's will use glue to close an incision but I think that would be more common with lap procedures but I'm not sure.
Unread 03-26-2006, 02:23 PM

I have an allergy to the adhesive thats on a bandaid. I told the hospital when they called for pre-admissions. Does the steri-strips have that kind of adhesive on it?
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:49 PM

Resa I would make sure to tell them and your dr. before surgery that you have a reaction to bandaids. You may be allergic to latex and they may also have to use latex free gloves during surgery. Latex allergies are becoming more of a problem nowadays. I don't know if steri strips contain latex. Just make sure that you tell them that you have a reaction when applying bandaids. That's a very important issue. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM

I had my TAH/BSO March 20, just over a week ago.
I think stitches or staples depends more on the patient than on the dr. In my case, I am a fluffy person, with a fluffy tummy. My dr. did a vertical incision and had to use many staples to hold it closed. I have dissolving stitches inside of course, but he told me that there was no way I could have had stitches on the outside. That I would rip them out because they are not strong enough for me. I went yesterday, after one week, to have my staples removed, and my dr. told me that I am not done cooking yet!! I am not sealed shut enough for him to take them out and I would risk ripping open the incision if he took them out now. So I have to keep them in for another 10 days. which is fine by me. They don't bother me at all, and if they are holding me tightly together, then they can stay! Its like needing industrial strength closure when you are a fluffy person! I imagine that skinny people or even women with not much body fat would only need the stitches, or just those strips. So it really depends on the person, and the safety of the incision along with healing.

Also, my Dr. told me that he likes to use staples because it allows the seepage in between the staples that is necessary for some of the fluids to get out of the incision, so they do not stay inside and cause problems.
this is all just my

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register