Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer

Unread 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer

I'm not sure how to blog but I need support from others going through this...Stage II Endrometrial Cancer. I think I may have posted on another forum so forgive me if I did. For a fairly smart woman, this has blown me away. My Oby/Onc says I am very healthy for 57; no children, never major surgery. I just don't want any major organs nicked during the surgery and I come out worse than when I went in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Hi Phoenix22!
I think you are blogging here just fine. The cancer diagnosis of any sort will certainly blow away the smartest lady! I'm sure someone who has had the same or similar diagnosis will respond here to you very soon! I had my hysterectomy this past January because of a prolapsed uterus, chronic vaginal bleeding and enlarged fibroids. Fortunately for me, all the tissue removed was cancer-free. I too have no children (other than the cat and dog) and this has been the most major surgery I've had since my pre-adolescent tonsilectomy!! Welcome to this website. You will find a lot of great support and great women here! I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Welcome and don't worry -- the ladies here are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Hi Phoenix22
I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Anytime we receive a cancer diagnosis, it is scary. I encourage you to post in Cancer Concerns where you will receive support and information from out members with cancer and a cervical cancer diagnosis. We have many members in Cancer Concerns who have either been where you are today or are going through much the same thing you are who are very encouraging and informative.

s and ers
Jane
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM

As others have said, "Welcome to the club no one wants to join." There are many hystersisters here and in Cancer Concerns with lots of collective wisdom to tap into.

I, too, am 57 and in good health generally. I can assure you that nothing was nicked during my surgery and I had no complications from the surgery. I came home the next day and was fully released by my doctor two weeks after surgery.

I would be glad to answer any other concerns you have.
Unread 08-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Hello

You have come to the right place! I just had my TAH RSO on Aug. 4th and I am doing very well. I do have an incision that goes across my abdomen, but ya know what. I am very happy I had the surgery. I had severe endometriosis and I too have no children. I am not suffering in that way anymore!
The fear is normal, I had it as well, but we are here to support you. I do not know if this helps, but I think the fear was worse than the actual surgery. I was afraid that I would die on the table do to complications and never wake up.
Unread 08-16-2008, 04:09 PM

I just got home a few hours ago from my TAH-BSO for endometrical cancer. I won't get the final pathology back until Wednesday, so I don't know the exact staging yet.

I know how scary it can be! On the positive side, it's good to get it dealt with now, while it's still in a fairly early stage. My previous doctor never recommended a uterine biopsy, even though I had many of the symptoms of cancer. I'm really grateful that my new doctor did - otherwise it could have continued to grow and I would have never known. I'm only 38, and my doctor was surprised that I had this type of cancer.

I'm pleased with how well my surgery went. I was expecting it to be a lot worse, although of course it's early days (I had the surgery on Thursday). I'm loving the Percocet at the moment...
Unread 08-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Although my doctor does not suspect cancer, I too am 57 and having my TAH on the 22nd. I'm more stressed and anxious each day, although I didn't think it was possible! Please don't be shy about sharing your fears and concerns here, the ladies are wonderfully supportive. It's great knowing you're not alone!
I have the same fears about complications, my bladder has a diverticulum (extra pouch) and I have a large fibroid pressing against my large intestine. It helps that I trust my doctor! Good luck and keep posting!
Unread 08-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Hey Phoenix, I had my surgery 2 days before my 54th birthday, and I too pride myself on being in good shape, and had never had a surgery before this one. Like you, no kids either. I come from a family that's full of inherited endometrial and colon cancer (the women anyway, the men just get colon cancer, lucky guys) and after 15 years of clear colonoscopies, this little tumor in the uterus showed up and kinda made me mad. I felt like I was doing all the right things, I'm a yoga teacher, vegetarian, only organic food, don't smoke, you know the complete opposite of all my family members who've gotten cancer before me. "This won't happen to me, I'm going to meditate it away." I tried, I really did. But a little over 2 months after my surgery, I feel very good, I don't have cancer anymore, and the surgery went really well and nothing got nicked. My doctor here in my town sent me to a cancer center an hour away where they are studying families like mine. I have always been very leery of doctors and allopathic medicine, but being treated there has been a real eye opener for me and I'm so grateful for the really fine care that I have received. Keep a positive attitude, I know it's hard, I had some real meltdowns before my surgery, believe me. I had a few afterwards also. But the Hystersisters have been great, especially Bookworm50 who had the same surgery as me. It's very hard to turn your body over to someone you barely know in this great leap of faith that they will bring you back to wellness, but in my case my surrender to that has had a good outcome, knock wood. I'm back to work, living my little life, and everything that's left inside my body is whole and working pretty good. Please keep us posted on how you're doing, and good luck to you. Lots of ladies here are willing to watch your back!
Unread 08-17-2008, 08:32 AM

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU; I just can't believe how great it is to hear that someone else is going through this with me and simply understanding!!! As I sit here typing and crying I know I will be fine. I also have a few special angels watching over me. Your stories are amazing and the strength you show is beyond any courage I've known. I've never been married but my life partner has been with me for 23 years. Didn't think he would step up but I am amazed by him also. I will take all your advice and thoughts into my heart as I approach my surgery on Aug 22nd. Big hugs to all of you for helping me.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register