Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer

Unread 08-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Looks like we're sisters in this journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBloomer57
Although my doctor does not suspect cancer, I too am 57 and having my TAH on the 22nd. I'm more stressed and anxious each day, although I didn't think it was possible! Please don't be shy about sharing your fears and concerns here, the ladies are wonderfully supportive. It's great knowing you're not alone!
I have the same fears about complications, my bladder has a diverticulum (extra pouch) and I have a large fibroid pressing against my large intestine. It helps that I trust my doctor! Good luck and keep posting!
Everything you said is exactly how I am feeling. My regular MD gave me some Xanax to "take the edge off" and it is helping me sleep. I am obviously concerned with the cancer but really concerned about infections and healing. Basicaly, I am a germ-a-phob. I will think of you when I get scared and please think of me when you are scared. Both of us will be fine and now I have a wonderful friend. YOU are unique and special!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Your comments are right on target

Quote:
Originally Posted by davincinancy
Hey Phoenix, I had my surgery 2 days before my 54th birthday, and I too pride myself on being in good shape, and had never had a surgery before this one. Like you, no kids either. I come from a family that's full of inherited endometrial and colon cancer (the women anyway, the men just get colon cancer, lucky guys) and after 15 years of clear colonoscopies, this little tumor in the uterus showed up and kinda made me mad. I felt like I was doing all the right things, I'm a yoga teacher, vegetarian, only organic food, don't smoke, you know the complete opposite of all my family members who've gotten cancer before me. "This won't happen to me, I'm going to meditate it away." I tried, I really did. But a little over 2 months after my surgery, I feel very good, I don't have cancer anymore, and the surgery went really well and nothing got nicked. My doctor here in my town sent me to a cancer center an hour away where they are studying families like mine. I have always been very leery of doctors and allopathic medicine, but being treated there has been a real eye opener for me and I'm so grateful for the really fine care that I have received. Keep a positive attitude, I know it's hard, I had some real meltdowns before my surgery, believe me. I had a few afterwards also. But the Hystersisters have been great, especially Bookworm50 who had the same surgery as me. It's very hard to turn your body over to someone you barely know in this great leap of faith that they will bring you back to wellness, but in my case my surrender to that has had a good outcome, knock wood. I'm back to work, living my little life, and everything that's left inside my body is whole and working pretty good. Please keep us posted on how you're doing, and good luck to you. Lots of ladies here are willing to watch your back!
I did the same as you and said; I'll be positive and will it away; didn't happen. Actually, I suspected this maybe a year ago. But I know my mind, body and soul and back then I would not have handled it very well. My memory is excellent and I will keep all your words in my mind this coming Friday. thank you so much for being there with me!!!
Unread 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Bookworm50 and thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm 50
As others have said, "Welcome to the club no one wants to join." There are many hystersisters here and in Cancer Concerns with lots of collective wisdom to tap into.

I, too, am 57 and in good health generally. I can assure you that nothing was nicked during my surgery and I had no complications from the surgery. I came home the next day and was fully released by my doctor two weeks after surgery.

I would be glad to answer any other concerns you have.
I am so grateful to find others who are knowledgable. Your diagnosis sounds similar to mine; architecturally compatiable to Grade I; Grade II consideration given the nuclear changes. I searched and researched every word until I was crazy. I'm scared of healing, infections, adheasions (?). I live alone and very independent. Visitors who stay too long make me nervous. I used to smoke only 2 cigs a day and now nothing--no big deal I guess but those 2 did something for me or maybe not. I will just have to meditate more. Hearing you say nothing was "nicked" during your surgery gave me hope. I am going to the best university hospital on the east coast with a top 10 oby/onc. What in the world am I afraid of? My Dad passed 12 years ago (he was my best friend) and I wish he were here. He would tell me something wonderful and all my fears would leave me. I talk to him now but I'm not getting any messages from him. Maybe he'll be there in the Operating Room so I'll just keep that in mind. Thanks for listening to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer

Hello phoenix22,

Welcome to the site! You have losts of people who have their arms around you right now.

I read your blog and had to laugh because it almost sounded like I wrote it. I too have no children, never been married, never had surgery and am also scared to death of germs and hospitals.

My advice to you is to "take it easy", "don't worry" and "you only get one change to heal so do everything as instructed by your medical profeesionals". We will be here for you to answer any and every one of your concerns. The wonderful thing about this site is if we don't know the answers, someone will research it and find it for you. I can assure you, you have arrived at the right place.

Good luck to you and God Bless.
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:09 AM

Don't worry Phoenix, it's normal to be a little scared, I was a wreck before my surgery. Then the nurse came in and gave me what she called "the good shot" and lah-di-dah was all she wrote. We're all gonna be with you on the 22nd, and you need to get on here as soon as you can afterwards to let us know how you are and what's going on, recovery is interesting and Hystersisters was a great aid and comfort to me when things felt awry. As far as those "too long visitors", give 'em the boot! They'll understand, and I hope you have caller ID on your phone!
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

My diagnosis blindsided me, too. I had complex hyperplasia with atypia, discovered after a routine physical. This condition sometimes is concurrent with cancer. After my surgery, I was told there was no cancer. Then the next day, may doctor came in and sat down, and told my husband and me that cancer was detected after much more thorough lab tests were done.

My doctor was very surprised at the findings. Luckily it was caught in time. I, too, thought I was healthy - not overweight, ran every day, non-smoker. Just goes to show cancer can strike any of us. What a blessing it was to have it discovered in time, and all I'll have to show for it is a bikini incision scar. I'm thankful!

I had no complications with surgery, as those who already posted have said. Doctors are very careful. No problems during recovery, either. Keep asking questions - this site was a lifeline to me prior to surgery!
Unread 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Appreciate your support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeylln
Hello

You have come to the right place! I just had my TAH RSO on Aug. 4th and I am doing very well. I do have an incision that goes across my abdomen, but ya know what. I am very happy I had the surgery. I had severe endometriosis and I too have no children. I am not suffering in that way anymore!
The fear is normal, I had it as well, but we are here to support you. I do not know if this helps, but I think the fear was worse than the actual surgery. I was afraid that I would die on the table do to complications and never wake up.
Glad to hear you feel better; never had endometriosis, got to the age of 57 and suddenly abnormal cells. Go figure but your story gives me hope. I only hope the cancer is contained to the lining and hasn't attached to the wall of the uterus. Thanks again --I love this support from all the wonderful people I've never met---a real bunch of angels!!!!
Unread 08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
So impressed and encouraged

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me prepare for Friday. I will walk into the <> will all the courage and knowledge that my HysterSisters have given me. From the bottom of my heart----thank you!!!
Unread 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Hello phoenix22,
Just wanted you to know that no matter what happens you will be alright..
My surgery did have complications and threw me for a loop, BUT I made it through and I am alive and feeling good.... sometimes life throws a curve ball at us... I have to tell you that my life is so much better now, because this has opened my eyes and made me rethink things.... I really hope that everything goes great for you and you dont have any complications... If you do just keep your chin up and fight this cancer... I was not sure if I should have posted this to you because all the others had no complications... I just wanted you to know that no matter how it goes YOU will be alright....just ask for a little something before your surgery (I did for a while right up till my surgery) to help ease your anxiety and to help you sleep at night.. it is soooo normal to feel worried about all the possibilities (what if's)
Good Luck Friday......
Unread 08-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Hi phoenix, I'm taking ativan to sleep and starting to need it during the day as well as Friday gets closer! I'm not exactly a germ-a-phobe, but I do know a lot about what can go wrong and have developed a medical phobia over my 57 years. I'm also a fiction writer, a real expert at the "what ifs!"

I know everything will be fine for both of us, the anticipation is always the worst. be sure to post in the post-op section and share how you're doing.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register