Emotionally level after oophorectomy plus HRT? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emotionally level after oophorectomy plus HRT? Emotionally level after oophorectomy plus HRT?

Unread 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Emotionally level after oophorectomy plus HRT?

This is my first post (aside from introducing myself at registration), and I wanted to get in the loop before my surgery Aug. 26. If all goes as planned, I'll have a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor wants my permission to "do more" should she find more problems. (I have a history of ovarian cysts, a tipped uterus, have had 2 c-sections and also have extremely painful monthly cycles, physically and emotionally). She suspects endemetriosis, but won't know what's going on internally until the actual surgery. My main concern is not knowing what I'll wake up to: a partial or complete hysterectomy -- or something else. I already battle moods related to my period, and I don't want to be thrust into early menopause if I don't have to (I'm 42)! Has anyone ever actually been more emotionally level after a hysterectomy, on synthetic hormones for example, than prior? (I haven't ever heard of this happening, but thought I'd ask anyway.) Any experience or insight would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM

Hi bravekitty!

Your question is a good one. From reading thousands of posts over the years from members who had their ovaries removed along with their hysterectomy, it seems like just about anything can happen. Some women who had hormone-related mood problems beforehand were relieved of them after having their ovaries removed -- even if they chose not to take HRT. For others, having their ovaries removed made their instability worse, even if they took HRT. As far as I know, there is no way to tell for certain in advance how any one patient will react.

In my opinion, the most important thing to keep in mind is: No matter what happens, help is available. So, be sure to develop a good relationship with your medical provider and let him/her know how you are feeling during your recovery phase.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:28 PM

At 47, I chose to have my ovaries removed as well, for many of the same reasons you've cited. The surgeon left it up to me, and with all the emotional upheaval, cramps, monthly headaches, depression, pain etc. etc., I truly felt I wanted it all OUT! In short, YES, having everything out and taking HRT (bioidentical in my case), I have found that stability -- almost since the first day (with a few episodes along the way) However, it did take a while to get all of that right. I didn't suffer depression or cramping, but very briefly at about 6 months post op, I got down and very tired (just needed to up my estrogen) -- I have been truly "stable" and upbeat emotionally. My main problems were the headaches. Until I achieved "balance," I had my share (as I did prior to surgery.) But I can't remember now that last time I had a headache (knock on wood!). I wish you the best in your decision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2008, 08:49 PM

I had my ovaries out because at age 47 it was considered better to bring on menopause a few years earlier than to have the risk of ovarian cancer.

I have taken a low-dose antidepressant for panic attacks for about ten years now. I still had some minor blues with my cycles before surgery.

Due to breast cancer risk in my family I don't take any HRT.
Now my mood is pretty stable. In 9 months I've had about 3 really down periods of time - about 24-36 hours. But it's been a while now since I've had one. I'm sure it's the change in my hormones now that I am not making any estrogen.

Fortunately my family and co-workers are great! They understand that this is an ongoing journey.

I wish you all the best as you make your decisions.
Unread 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM

I have had the same thoughts. I suffer at the moment with very bad peri symptoms. I might as well be menopausal. I don't know if I want my ovaries out yet or not. In the back of my mind I am worried that my symptoms would be twice as bad if I took that option. The other side is maybe it would actually be better.
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:01 AM

Since I am only 8 days out, I am not sure my will mean much... I am 39 years old and since my tubal, I have had horrendous mood swings, hated myself, and hated my dh. I had a LSH BSO and have been put on a hormone patch. i have to say, I feel much more emotionally stable at this point than I did prior to the surgery.

But that could all change...
Unread 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much for your insight and also for including threads from archives relating to my question. You and everyone else have given me much needed support! I see my doc tomorrow morning when I will have more questions for her. For example, I just read an article that said that even if a woman only has her uterus removed and keeps her ovaries, because of the lack of blood flow to the ovaries thereafter that they will stop functioning within 1 to 3 years -- news to me.
Also, sorry for my delayed response and thank you, but I've been to Austin and back moving my son into an apartment for college. (Now that I'm home and my surgery is less than a week away, I'll be on the boards a lot between now and then!)
Kathy
Unread 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Seems so many people have to have more surgery to take the ovaries. I sure didn't want that. I am in my 40's, so I was ready to get rid of the ovaries that only gave me horrid migraines.

I had the Climera patch put on immediately after surgery. The bioidentical hormone, estradiol, in the Climera patch work great for me. I don't take any pills since they go through the liver.

Everything is going great three months post op. I would do it again, but I won't need to since it is all GONE! I am so glad.
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:35 PM

I also had both ovaries removed along with my uterus, tubes and those nasty fibroids. I opted for no HRT, but have been on antidepressants for about 10 years, and an anti anxiety med for about 2, so.............so I am holding my own.
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:40 PM

Hi Azalea-

We have a lot in common! Glad to hear you're doing well.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register