TAH for ovarian tumor | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH for ovarian tumor TAH for ovarian tumor

Unread 08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
TAH for ovarian tumor

My surgery is scheduled for 8/25. I get more nervous as it gets closer. I am 57, menopausal and hate that I have to go through this. But I have a grapefruit sized tumor on my right ovary and it must be tested for ovarian cancer.

I am actually dreading the recovery from the hysterectomy more than the possible diagnosis of cancer. Anybody else looking at this diagnosis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
TAH for ovarian tumor

(((HUGS))) to you...
I had uterine cancer, and even though recovery can have it's challenges, it wasnt as bad as what I thought it was going to be...yes it had some icky moments., but truly it was better then how I felt before my surgery and I knew that no matter how gross I felt it wasnt a perminent thing. I would get better.....surgery/recovery is such a scary thing and the moments before it can create alot of stress ...just know that your not alone and many of us had to endure it...I am hoping that your prognosis is only good news and you dont have cancer..... I'll be thinking of you, ......
Unread 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM
TAH for ovarian tumor

I know what you're going through! I am also 57 and had a baseball sized mass on each ovary. The doc said he couldn't say for sure if it was malignant and wouldn't know until he removed it. Naturally, I went online and read story after story of horrible experiences and was almost convinced that I had ovarian cancer because of the results of the first ultrasound. (Multiseptated, solid areas, fluid)

My LAVH was on 8/11/08 and I am SO glad it's over! The pathology came back benign and I am on the road to recovery. The surgery was not so bad - the worst part was trying to find a pain med I could tolerate. Darvocet was the only one that didn't knock me out so I took that for about five days post op and now only need ibuprofen.

Everyone else is right about gas - mine lasted over a week and was terrible! Gas-X helps but mostly it just goes away with time. Just stay positive and think good thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM
TAH for ovarian tumor

I, too, am 57 and had a cyst on my ovary. in addition to the cancerous polyps in my uterus. My cyst was benign, although it was not as large as yours. My mom had a grapefruit-sized ovarian cyst that was benign. The gas pains were worse than the surgery pain. Even thoguh I took a stool softener with laxative, the best solutions were lots of water and walking around the house as much as I could tolerate. Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM
TAH for ovarian tumor

s revms
Welcome to HysterSisters. I am sorry that you are facing a hysterectomy with the possible diagnosis of cancer. The recovery does take a good 6 - 8 weeks and it is important to follow your doctor's instructions It really is not too bad though.

I hope the doctor doing your surgery is a gyn/onc as they are the best for doing this surgery when cancer is suspected. I also want to invite you to Cancer Concerns part of HysterSisters for any questions you may have regrading cancer and your surgery.

s
Jane

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register