Going Home Day of Surgery? - Page 4 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going Home Day of Surgery? Going Home Day of Surgery?

Unread 11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Re: Going Home Day of Surgery?

I'm having Davinci and my Dr. said one night stay-thank Gosh! I am 100% sure I will ask for a 2nd night if i am in too much pain-I want the good drugs, and my insurance will pay for it, and I don't need to be home with no help when I am not ready.

Thanks so much to all who have shared their experiences already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2011, 06:35 PM

I came home the same day. They took me into the OR at 8am and I was leaving for home at 3pm. It felt so good to be home and in my own bed!

Good luck!
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:07 PM

I am just now home after me LSH and BSO. I asked to spend the night because I wanted some of the IV pain meds and I feel like I got a lot of rest by people more qualified than my husband! Love him dearly, but a nurse he is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoodle View Post
I am just now home after me LSH and BSO. I asked to spend the night because I wanted some of the IV pain meds and I feel like I got a lot of rest by people more qualified than my husband! Love him dearly, but a nurse he is not.
Glad that you are home now and I hope all went well. Good for you for staying, you def did the right thing. I intend to do the same exact thing. My husband is the best but I know he will have his hands full with our 3 kids and I will get more rest if I stay the night. Sending healing hugs your way!!
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm scheduled for TLH on Dec 8. My doc said I have to spend at least 1 night if no complications from adhesion, since this will be my 3rd abdominal sx in 2 years. He said I had bad adhesions on my last sx. Am hoping they wont be as bad this time.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:23 AM

I have also had bad recovery from previous laproscopic procedures. The last one, apx 2 years ago my belly swelled up like I was 4-5 months PG and I was lopsided-turned out I had a blood clot and had to go back to the hospital. While I know I prefer my own bed, I will def stay to be sure I"m doing ok and once my initial pain is controllable. Good luck to us all!
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:29 PM

I just had the LSH with BSO and I stayed one night. Honestly, I could have stayed another! There is no way I could have gone home the same day.
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:02 PM

I ended up staying one night also after an LSH and BSO. I absolutely could have stayed another, felt like my pain was better managed and I was more relaxed.
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:08 AM

When the nurse called me yesterday to go over instructions, she said "Make sure you bring an over night bag, but have your husband leave it in the car until you come out of recovery" My response was "Oh no, I'm not staying the night, the doctor said I could go home!" lol She said to bring one anyway because my surgery is after noon and depending on complications or whatever, I may need to stay. I've had a couple major back surgeries and one I went home the same day and was a miserable wreck, while the other required a few days in the hospital and I was comfortable and well taken care of.

I think that now I've had time to mull it over, if the doc says to stay over night, I will. If I feel like I can't make it at home with my DH, I will let the nurses know. We shall see.
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:33 AM

My doctor said that he always recommends that women stay at least 1 night. He had me stay 2. I would insist on spending the night even if you need to be a little over dramatic in order to do so. The reason being is that day 1 you are still under the effects of the anesthesia so you will feel great. But the next day is when the real pain kicks in and it is really nice to have nurses taking care of you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register