Surgery in the morning! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in the morning! Surgery in the morning!

Unread 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Re: Surgery in the morning!

Good luck! I had my preop today too and they asked me what I'd be having done. I didn't have an EKG which I sorta thought they'd do, but I was so nervous I forgot to ask until I was on my way home. My surgery is on the 28th, I'm so nervous! Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marestail View Post
Terrain73 - At my pre-op at the hospital, I also had to verbally tell them what they would be doing. The nurse said that even though we had been discussing it, she needed me to say the words. I thought it was strange, but maybe some ladies don't know.

Again, good luck - it is finally here. We will be waiting for you on the other side.
My doctor and my nurse at my pre-op made me tell them what was being done and why. I was ready for that question, thanks to this thread. Today the hospital called to go over the admission and prep process and had to do the same thing with her.

Thanks for this sage advice.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

copbride - Sometimes they don't do an EKG, so I would not be too concerned. Trust the person doing your pre-op did what the doc ordered. I am sure they did what they were supposed to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2011, 05:23 AM

they I think ordered my EKG because I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, so just making sure I can handle things, I had to have one for the colonoscopy too.. Good luck to all the sisters having surgery coming up, I am fighting a cold, but I am taking simply saline and it seems to be flushing things out !!
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Hey ladies! I'm home from the hospital and I feel able to post now! I got home yesterday but I just wasn't up to getting on the computer!

Each person I saw Tuesday morning asked what I was having done so I decided to play around, lol. First person I said a tummy tuck, second I said I was having an ingrown toenail removed, and the last person I said (at my DH's suggestion LOL) a vasectomy! LOL! I had everyone laughing!

They did put the red bracelet on my that had all of my allergies on it. I made sure I told EVERYONE how deathly allergic I was to ibuprofen/anaprox/naproxen. I was so glad everyone knew and didn't have a problem retelling everyone! I had the morphine pain pump, which was really convenient. My surgery was textbook, the doctors told my family that I lost practically no blood and this went so well it's how they'd hope their wives would have surgery. I had endometriosis all over my bladder, though! I wasn't expecting that. I have been having issues, though. I have had to wear pads when I workout because my bladder would leak. My doc seems to think my problems will be solved, now. I slept most of the day after surgery. One thing I'm a little mad about is the day shift nurses NEVER told me that I needed to be breathing deeply and/or coughing to get oxygen into my lungs to keep from developing pneumonia from surgery. By the time the night shift nurses got in, I had developed congestion in my throat and lungs. I had to work extra hard to cough to clear that out. I also had started to ask for some gas relief during the day and the nurses never checked on me. It wasn't until my night shift nurses came on that I started getting checked on. Thank goodness my husband stayed the night with me. He kept getting me water and he also ran to Wal-Mart to get my cough drops in the middle of the night.

Now the bad part...I fell asleep for 'good' that night and woke up four hours later. I had been sound asleep and hadn't pressed my pain pump button for four hours. I was in terrible, terrible pain and my congestion was really bad. Between those two things I started to panic. I did calm down and pushed the heck out of the button and sent husband to get the cough drops. I managed to cough and clear my throat. It was bad, though. So keep that in mind, do what you need to do so your lungs don't get congested!

I came home yesterday around lunch and was hurting from the combination of the ride home and waiting to get my meds. I ended up running about a fever of 100.3 yesterday evening with that cough. I called the emergency number at my doctor's and spoke to the doctor on call. I wasn't happy with her at all, as all she told me was to drink more (which I was drinking continuously) and to take some tylenol. I asked her if I should come into the ER if my temp rose and she said she wouldn't. WTH? Thank goodness my mom was here, she took over. She gave me some robitussin, I took some extra strength tylenol, and my husband held and pressed the pillow into my stomach so I could cough somewhat comfortably lol. I coughed up phlegm and felt much better. I've had no trouble since. I took the hormone patch off this morning and started my pills.

I feel way better today, although I am still sore and bloated. I am so glad I had this done!
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM

I forgot to add...I really wanted to try and get up and move around Tuesday after my surgery. They wouldn't let me get up and walk. When I told my nurse I really needed to get up, she said I could sit up for thirty minutes but no walking around. I ended up only being able to sit for about ten minutes. It was a lot harder than I thought. I was not ready to walk around at all.
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:51 PM

My D day has arrived, I'm laying here in bed and don't want to get up. I've managed to keep busy and my mind occupied till now. But now with everything Organised, my children away with family I am absolutely packing. If I just lay here maybe it will all go away. Admission time is 12.30pm for a total Hysterectomy have tried every other option.
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrain73 View Post
I forgot to add...I really wanted to try and get up and move around Tuesday after my surgery. They wouldn't let me get up and walk. When I told my nurse I really needed to get up, she said I could sit up for thirty minutes but no walking around. I ended up only being able to sit for about ten minutes. It was a lot harder than I thought. I was not ready to walk around at all.
My doctor told me that if all went well, they would get the foley out in the afternoon and have me up and moving. If I continued to do well, they'd get be back on a regular diet and have me out of that place by afternoon the next day. "It'll happen fast. We don't let you lay around." I figure this varies from person to person and depends on the type of surgery, where you live, the standards of care, etc etc.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrain73 View Post
captainebey, I wonder if I say a tummy tuck and a breast lift what they would do...lol!
LOL...maybe I will add that to the list too....
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Welcome home terrain73. You are now on the other side. And here we are, waiting for you as promised.

If you have not already, you will want to shift to the post-op thread forum, and maybe even join your surgery week recovery group, to get support during your recovery.

(((Hugs)))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register