Scheduled dVH/RALH What to expect on what I can do when? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect on what I can do when? What to expect on what I can do when?

Unread 11-26-2011, 04:02 AM
What to expect on what I can do when?

I've read through several stories and keep seeing not to lift anything more than a few pounds several weeks after surgery. My husband will be going back to work when school begins again next year (3 weeks after surgery), and I'll be alone with my daughter. This means picking her up into her car seat and driving among a lot of other things like getting her dressed. She's a very small 3 year old at 27 pounds. So, I'd like to know when to be able to expect to do things with her, especially take her to preschool. To be honest, I'm wondering if picking her and her carrier up too early after c-section wasn't why I didn't heal properly causing me to have a very thin c-section scar.

Thanks so much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Re: What to expect on what I can do when?

Oh, yes, found out why my doctor has to have the urologist surgeon in the OR. My bladder and uterus look to be fused on the MRI. What may I expect on this?
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM

I'm three days post on DaVinci; 6 weeks limited to 15 lbs. I have a 2 year old, and found (pre-surgery) that I can kneel by the open van door and he can climb in and put himself in the carseat. Of course I still buckle! I'd think you should be fine to drive by three weeks assuming no narcotics, but definitely no on the lifting. Sorry - I know that's disappointing to hear. Im sad about not lifting my son until January, but I need to heal right. There's a lot that can go wrong if you don't follow directions. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2011, 12:25 PM

Hi AlaskaChick
It will probably help if you help your son, now, learn to climb into the seats on his own and such. That way when you are post surgery you aren't teaching him a new trick. Be there for support, find positions NOW that don't cause you to use your abs or do any lifting. It may help his transition.

I am only a few days post op but was told I should be able to drive at about 3 weeks once I'm fully off pain meds and such. However a friend of mine said to avoid traffic jams because even when she was 8 weeks post traffic jams hurt A LOT!
Unread 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM

I had a DaVinci only procedure 7 weeks ago and am still not cleared for more than 10 pounds (haven't been back to surgeon since 3 weeks post-op). Expect to return to work (regularly lifting 30+ lbs) after next visit at 8 1/2 weeks.

The tips above about having child climb in and out of vehicle with you doing the buckling, is the best solution, if she's able to do this. She'll probably LOVE the independence and grown up feeling with this skill. If she hasn't already mastered this, at least you have 2 weeks to help her learn.

A wonderful tip I read on the forums is to keep a pillow over your abdomen when sleeping, to protect belly from small children climbing up before you can stop them. Let your daughter climb up to you, if she's able, and snuggle against your side for awhile. However, she may forget, and it's better to have a cushion just in case.

This is also true if you have pets that are used to being on your lap. We have a heavy cat and it was weeks before he could comfortably sleep on my lap...and the pillow saved me many times when he jumped up before I could stop him.

Best wishes on you surgery!
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Thought you might enjoy this article if you haven't already read it...about recovering with small children at home...

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_371052.htm
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions; however, my suv is one of the larger expeditions. My husband and I both have to climb up. Thanks to the suggestions I'll try to get her to use our little step ladder that she uses when she wants to watch me cook or drive my husbands much shorter suv. We're in Alaska so 4 wheel drive is essential up here. Thanks about the article, but I've read it and where I went oh no at first about lifting my daughter and kept reading.
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Sending love. And prayers.
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:18 PM

A step ladder is a perfect idea! I know what you mean about the big 4x4 vehicles. We keep a large metal tub in the back that I can stand on to get in and out of hubby's truck on my bad days.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register