What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like? What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like?

Unread 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Re: What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like?

Seems like none of us really know the answer to what is normal. I used to watch the commercials that said "have a happy period" and get so angry because for me it was sheer misery.
Now I'm happy to say I've already missed 2 and by missed I only mean they didn't happen, because I'm sure not missing them at all. The pain, passing out, unable to leave my house, afraid ill bleed through the doubled up protection.
Nope, nothing to miss about that at all.
9 weeks out and I feel better than I have in years, absolutely no regrets at all!
Good luck, your life will change after surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM

My 'normal' was 5 days long. Heavy day was day 2 with tampon needing changed every two hours. The other days tampons every 4 hours or so. Periods have always been a source of pain for me.
Lol, I thought changing a tampon every two hours was bad. The last few months it was a tampon every 20 minutes for a heavy day. The pain I was in was almost unbearable.
So very glad I'll never have to deal with it anymore.
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM

It's interesting to read everyone's experiences. I too really want to have this surgery but keep doubting whether or not I'm making too much of it. My bad days have only been a couple of days per month historically. The last year though I started to have a small second period of a couple of days around ovulation. I've had jabbing pains in the ovary area and pelvis for a couple of years that no one could explain and I have been bleeding for almost all of the last two months- some days very heavy and with pain so bad that 2 vicodin barely help. And yet my ultrasound only showed a 3x3x2 cm adenomyosis.... I too am wondering still if I should just grin and bear it. I really can't understand what is happening...

As far as a normal period- I've heard the 2 tablespoons thing before too and I think they just have to be wrong... How could that possibly be?
Back before my last c-section 5 years ago, periods were about 6 days long, only used a regular tampon 3 ot those days and never had to use a super. Cramps were one day and midol helped... I'm guessing that was closer to "normal".

Thank you to all of you who are here giving perspective, advice and comfort, and words of experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Thank you all for allowing me to realize that what I've been experiencing is not normal. I to thought maybe I was overreacting and this is normal. Even though when I was young like 12-15 I had normal periods I think. Since I started having children it's progressively gotten worse until since my tubal ligation 5 years ago I can't wear tampons and I use a lot of pads the first 2 days and can barely walk. I take Midol and Aleve to take the edge off. I don't think any pain that needs medication is normal.
We are not made to have to take 'drugs' to get through life in my opinion.
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM

I have abnormal periods. heavy bleeding, clotting, cramps that make me throw up etc. I go through a super tampon and a heavy duty pad in under an hour. My sister has what I call a "normal" period. It's 6 days, heavy enough to need more then a lite tampon but not heavy enough that she is changing it more frequently then 3-4 hours. She gets slight cramps but they go away after the first day and don't affect her day to day stuff. My sister in law is the same way. I think "normal" is different for everyone though.
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Ive questioned the same thing myself. All my life I've had painful cramping just before my cycle started. However, in my forties, it was BAD..I mean crying, ready to go to emerg painful attacks! Last year I had an ablation for heavy bleeding and cramping but it only lasted about six months. Now every two weeks, I have horrible, painful cramps, without a lot of bleeding. I have decided to have the hysterectomy also. I question myself also because so many have the surgery because of endo or from cancer. I just have painful painful misery. Hope this helps. You're not alone.
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:06 PM

I had never had a "normal" period until I had a UFE about 4 years ago. WOW! A super plus tampon on the heavy days would last just about a full working day! Not alot of pain. Before that I had cramps and bleeding that was just terrible!
The past 6 months, it was very evident to me that the fibroids were back. Ultrasound confirmed it but I could tell by the increased bleeding and TERRIBLE pain. I had to have pain prescription medication and take ALOT of them to get relief
I think a normal period total would fill a diva cup. I would fill one in an hour. The last period I had I used about 100 super plus tampons and pads to boot! Gave up on the diva cup, way too messy, looked like I killed someone in my bathroom and flushed them LOL
Met with the gyno and booked the surgery! I had ENOUGH of "happy" periods
Princess Lisa
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Thank you so much for asking this question. It is helping me feel a little better about my scheduled surgery.

I'm 41, and my periods have not been painful since I was in my early twenties. In my teens, I had episodes where the pain was so bad, it took my breath away. My issue is heavy bleeding (through ultra tampon and well into maxi pad in 45 minutes or less during the first 2 days or so of my seven day period). I had cycles that were heavier, and I'd walk around seeing spots due to the blood loss... I have the Mirena right now, but while it diminished the volume of my bleeding, I now have periods that last three weeks and other assorted side effects that make me miserable.

I had hoped to avoid surgery, but the Mirena has slowed the bleeding enough that I'm not going to be anemic for my surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register