Scheduled LAVH Just came home from consult/pre-op with scheduled surgery! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just came home from consult/pre-op with scheduled surgery! Just came home from consult/pre-op with scheduled surgery!

Unread 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Just came home from consult/pre-op with scheduled surgery!

Well, I just came back from my consult/pre-op and they gave me a surgery date...June 14. Interestingly, with the help of the all the great questions on this board, as well as being able read about my options, I was able to go to my consult appt fully informed (with 2 pages of questions!!). So rather than scheduling a pre-op appt with my gyn, he asked me his pre-op Q's right there and sent me to the scheduler to find a date!

I was dx'd with large fibroids a few years ago and we decided to wait and see. In a recent u-sound, my uterus was 13x7x7 and the pain and bleeding is really affecting my day to day life. So I'm having an LAVH (with the possibility of BSO, if needed). Really, this is such an answer to prayer because I was worried that my uterus would be too large for him to feel comfortable with doing it, but he feels really good about it. I know my gyn well and he's super-meticulous, which I love about him. He took about an hour answering my Q's, etc. and it went as well as I could have expected it. The only pre-op stuff I'll have to do a week before surgery is to see my primary doc and get labs/EKG. Oh and a bowel prep...fun!!

The only concern he has is that because I have Crohn's, it's possible I could have adhesions that could require him to open me up. I'm going to begin praying now that this won't be necessary.

Even at 45, I have some emotions tied up to having a hysterectomy. My DH and I've never been able to have children (infertility) and I think have this surgery is sort of the sad end to a long, hard chapter in my life. That's been difficult, but I'm just trying to process those emotions as they come.

I have one Q: he said that he'll close me up with a "V-loc." I meant to ask him more about that, but forgot and decided I'll just ask here...can anyone tell me if it's a permanent suture, or does it dissolve? Essentially, what is it?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Re: Just came home from consult/pre-op with scheduled surgery!

Congrads on getting a date! Just got mine and it feels good to have it settled. I googled v-lock and from what I read briefly, it looks like they're absorbable. Its a wound closure device that eliminates the need for tying knots. Hopefully, someone with experience will come along and let you know for certain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register