TAH 8 months post hysterectomy: Numbness left side of abdomen and above scar | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 months post hysterectomy: Numbness left side of abdomen and above scar 8 months post hysterectomy: Numbness left side of abdomen and above scar

Unread 04-13-2014, 04:07 PM
8 months post hysterectomy: Numbness left side of abdomen and above scar

Does anybody have this - or had this and it's gone?

8 months after my TAH, the left side of my tummy is numb - up to just under my ribs - plus a small area around my scar. At the same time it's somehow very sensitive and achey. I cannot bear touching the area. Really not. Cannot even towel dry my front after a shower. I hate the feeling of clothes on my skin. If it was just numb it would be better - it's the mixture that gets me... Everything else is great now.

My doctor and physio say it's normal in the sense that nerves do get damaged and I should learn to accept it as it might not go away.

Any tips how I can speed up nerves healing? Without touching ;-) I am using a hot water bottle... Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Re: 8 months post hysterectomy: Numbness left side of abdomen and above scar

It's gone! From one day to another feeling returned back to normal on the left hand side. 10 months it took. Still a little numb directly above the scar. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Unread 06-16-2014, 05:17 AM

I am still numb and there is no guarantee it will ever go back to where it was before the surgery.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2014, 06:09 AM

I had given up on this too. I wonder if the scar area itself will recover. I hope yours will get better too. It sound so silly but I found it extremely difficult to live with.
And I have swapped this as my biggest worry for depression and severe anxiety. I have started on estragel today. It is a longer and harder journey than I expected... Where are you numb still?
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:10 AM

Actually I had both of my sons by c section,the last one 35 yrs ago,and from the belly button down has been numb since then. I am sure you won't experience this,things have changed a lot in 35 yrs.
Nerves are very slow at healing, so it will take time to get back the feelings.

Chris
Unread 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM

I'm still a titch numb in about a 2" strip along the top of the scar, too. Annoying and a bit creepy, but minor all things considered. (Not numb under the scar for some reason, though.)
Unread 06-18-2014, 03:36 AM

Under the scar is perfect. They probably didn't stretch us there. My Gyno said yesterday that often one side is harder done by as surgeons stand on one side of you and are left or right handed. Therefor you usually have more stitches inside on one of your sides. In my case, the overhang thing, sausage seems to be marginally smaller too now. I can see the scar now from above. I would say: it might never get back to normal and I feel it every waking moment still but it's gotten a little better - so maybe I am slow and need more time. If I just was able to take the pressure off myself...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register