dVH/RALH 7 days post op hysterectomy, diarrhea | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 days post op hysterectomy, diarrhea 7 days post op hysterectomy, diarrhea

Unread 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM
7 days post op hysterectomy, diarrhea

I am 7 days post op. Have felt super until today. I haven't even had gas pains and I have had regular bm's since Sunday. This evening I suddenly had diarrhea with a lot of stomach cramping. I was really afraid I would split my internal stitches. I have no fever. Has anyone else experienced this? Thought it might be what I ate, but I ate the same thing Saturday without any trouble. Guess my recovery has gone so well I am afraid it is just a matter of time before something happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Re: 7 days post op hysterectomy, diarrhea

Yes, the same thing happened to me! However, I do have a history of IBS, so chronic diarrhea is not new to me.

But, I discussed it with my OB/GYN and my GI Doctor. This is what I learned. Taking stool softeners or laxatives may have caused the diarrhea. Also, during surgery the bowels, intestines and bladder are all handled, and moved to a new location, so they are settling down and learning to function in their new home. Stop eating dairy foods, and consider going on the BRAT diet for a few days. Take pain medicine for the cramping pain.

Mine lasted 2 weeks and I started losing weight, so I bugged my Doctors enough to take a stool sample, blood test, and a CT-scan.
All came back normal!! It was just a bad IBS flare.

I'm six weeks post op today, and the Doctor cleared me for sex and lifting, and said I could go back to work July 1st.

If you feel it's really bad call your Doctor. Good luck!
Unread 06-18-2014, 01:07 AM
7 days post op hysterectomy, diarrhea

Thank you!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by angee44 View Post
Yes, the same thing happened to me! However, I do have a history of IBS, so chronic diarrhea is not new to me.

But, I discussed it with my OB/GYN and my GI Doctor. This is what I learned. Taking stool softeners or laxatives may have caused the diarrhea. Also, during surgery the bowels, intestines and bladder are all handled, and moved to a new location, so they are settling down and learning to function in their new home. Stop eating dairy foods, and consider going on the BRAT diet for a few days. Take pain medicine for the cramping pain.

Mine lasted 2 weeks and I started losing weight, so I bugged my Doctors enough to take a stool sample, blood test, and a CT-scan.
All came back normal!! It was just a bad IBS flare.

I'm six weeks post op today, and the Doctor cleared me for sex and lifting, and said I could go back to work July 1st.

If you feel it's really bad call your Doctor. Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register