Hematoma on vaginal cuff 2 weeks post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hematoma on vaginal cuff 2 weeks post hysterectomy Hematoma on vaginal cuff 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 09-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Hematoma on vaginal cuff 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Good morning. I am 2 weeks out from open hysterectomy and also had ovaries removed. At my 2 week post op appt, dr said I was healing well, but felt like there was a hematoma on my vaginal cuff. No symptoms yet, but she could feel it on examination. So, taking antibiotics for 10 days. How long does it take for a hematoma to resolve? Seems like others have mentioned theirs go on for months. Just wondering if I will be on antibiotics until it resolves?? I'm concerned about antibiotics because I have a lot of digestive issues that are made worse w antibiotics... I'm on a good probiotic. Anyone else have experience with this? I've had a hematoma before, but it was removed with another surgery... I do tend to bleed easily. Anything I can do to help my body heal and absorb this hematoma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2017, 04:32 AM
Re: Hematoma on vaginal cuff 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Since a hematoma made up of old blood, bacteria can gather and there's a possibility of an infection. That's likely why your doctor prescribed antibiotics. Though I can't say with certainty, I doubt you'll be on antibiotics until it resolves, just like those of us who are given antibiotics after surgery don't have to keep taking them for weeks on end. There's a set regimen, and doctors are aware that bacteria can become resistant to the germ fighting potency of antibiotics.

I've not had any personal experience with a surgical hematoma and can't offer insight with a timeline, but I'm hoping the bump here will encourage input from Sisters who have. We do have an article on Hematoma Risk After Hysterectomy. The last two paragraphs are where you are now. If you have increased pain or start running a fever, get back in touch with your doctor. Update us when you can.

Unread 09-22-2017, 07:49 PM

I have a hematoma from surgery as well. Mine is not on my uterine cuff, but on loose folds of skin from a large weight loss. I am currently 5.5 weeks out, and I can visibly see it is shrinking. It seemed like FOREVER. It was HUGE.
When my doctor saw it at my 2 week check up, well... he is a doctor and was visibly excited to share this with the nurse that was with me. Apparently they don't see them like that too often. About 1.5 - 2 weeks ago, it was the size of 2 large eggs, bumped together end to end. And oh my swollen, and nasty tender. It is much smaller now.
Odd question, are you taking anything like arnica? That really has helped me immensely. That, and time.
You won't be on the antibiotics forever, I can imagine. Just long enough to help you heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Today, 03:28 PM

Hi, I know this thread is from a while back but I’m curious how your recovery has gone with your hematoma??
I had a LAVH on the 5th of Oct. the only thing I kept was my ovaries due to cervical cancer, and endometriosis etc. about a week after my surgery I ended up with a lot of pain and that persisted for a few days that no pain meds were helping. Then I started bleeding. I’m talking bright red blood, then I started passing massive clots, quarter to golfball sized. The next day I was still bleeding so my hubby took me in. It was my OB/GYNs surgery day so I saw her PA whom I like but she was rough during both the exam with the speculum and then did a pelvic exam, I understand she wanted to be thorough but it hurt so bad I was crying. They did blood and urine and an ultrasound which showed a hematoma along my cuff line. Then sent us on our way. No other instructions or anything. I am still bleeding. It will stop for a day. Then come back. I hurt so bad I am miserable and on the verge of crying most days and I’m just kind of feeling like I’m losing it. Im to the point that I’m starting to regret having the surgery.
I’m sorry to ramble on your post!!
If you have any advice on it please let me know!!
Unread Today, 03:35 PM

Mine was not so troublesome. I had continued bleeding, but it was more spotting than full on bleeding. Lasted 3-4 weeks. My OB did an exam at 2 weeks and said my cuff felt squishy and thought I had a hematoma there. She gave antibiotics just to prevent any chance of infection. Just this week (7 weeks post op) I have felt less pressure in that area (when I lay on my stomach). If you are continuing to bleed heavily, I would suggest calling your doctor again.
Unread Today, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechla View Post
Mine was not so troublesome. I had continued bleeding, but it was more spotting than full on bleeding. Lasted 3-4 weeks. My OB did an exam at 2 weeks and said my cuff felt squishy and thought I had a hematoma there. She gave antibiotics just to prevent any chance of infection. Just this week (7 weeks post op) I have felt less pressure in that area (when I lay on my stomach). If you are continuing to bleed heavily, I would suggest calling your doctor again.
Still bleeding here, it’ll stop for a day at most, and then it’s back and heavy. It really has worried me and my husband, they’ve told us if you soak more than a pad an hr to call or go to the ER and we have and they tell us it’s nothing and send us home.
Idk. I have my post op with my surgeon next week so I’m going to try to hold out until then
Unread Today, 05:33 PM

I don't mean to sound rude, but WHY are they so flippant?? They tell you one thing, and then tell you another. I wouldn't like that either!
As good as my surgeon was, they left me with MANY unanswered questions! All the way down to WHEN can I take a bath!
My hematoma did heal. Though my side is STILL tender, and I think I am edging on 10 weeks out now.
:-(
Unread Today, 06:49 PM

Are you still on any pain meds? Not sure if it would contribute, but I’ve read some that say Advil made their bleeding worse.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register