untruthful dr | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

untruthful dr untruthful dr

Unread 05-22-2005, 10:33 AM
untruthful dr

Hi,

Has anyone else out there had a problem with your obgyn being untruthful with you? I went into my hyst only knowing that I had severe endo. I ended up going to my family dr here and he gave me a surgical report. I found out that the other dr had known about other conditions and had not told me about them. Not only did I have endo but he also knew I had fibroids, an enlarged uterus, and a cyst. Shouldn't I have been told these things beforehand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
untruthful dr

Yep.
I got my surgical report yesterday, read it saying "WHAT!"
I don't know about what happened in surgery, but the "pre-op counseling" was utter .....uh.....fabrication. Said he did a breast exam - not true. Said he counseled me to have a laporoscopic instead of abdominal - not true, I had to threaten to talk to another dr if he wouldn't consider laporoscopic. Also, he stated that I had been bleeding for some time. Not true - I had been bleeding for about 2 months when I first saw him, and now my insurance co is making noises about pre-existing conditions not being covered. Said my condition was "excellent" 2 days post-op. Not true - I had IV infiltration that is still a problem 9 weeks later. No mention of this in the report. Said he suspected my fibroid was cancerous, never mentioned that to me.
His office sent me a bill for his doctor/partner as surgical assist, and I know that this partner doesn't practice anymore for health reasons - he can't even leave his house.
So, I guess doctors are human like everybody else and write their reports with an eye to covering their malpractice behinds.
We'll see what happens when I start making noises. Grrrrr.
Unread 05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
untruthful dr

Hello ladies...wow that is what i was thinking w/my Doc...like they try to save there butts if anything goes wrong...i feel after what i went thru and her saying ohh i should'nt have done the surgery ..what happen was that i got pnemonnia and her side kick doctor kept coming in checking up on me and said all went well... but she never showed up till the last day to release me out ..and saying oh i should of waited but i wouldnt of liked it waiting another month and all this and that, i had endo and fibroids and this and that...which i told her i knew all that and i had the symptoms and read about it,, but to you it wasnt quite there yet of it coming to that...so frustrated i told her i am happy i did it and the complications happened cause of my asthma...i tell u these doctors they are so full of it and lead u on thinking they are taking care of you and actually ur just another patient and cateroize me as the sickly one w/bad cramps,heavy bleeding,and on and on..for them its just bad pms and bad periods i dont understand them ...i hope things will get better for u and u wonder why these docs keep certain things from us...so we dont tell them off cause they are wrong and we know what we feel and have in our bodys....grrrrrrr i tell u..

oompahloompah...i wanted to ask u how did u go about getting ur surgical report??? u request it from ur doc or they send it to u...cause i would lik to see mine and all the bull crap she might of written...I was like so surprised what he said and u saying it was a lie..what a jerk...well if u can let me know ...like i said i would like to see mine..thank u!!!......Ladies take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2005, 02:37 PM
untruthful dr

Hi Ladies,
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.. I had a diagnostic lap last July.. I called the medical records department of the hospital where I had it done and found out where I was to go to pick up my reports, and also copies of the color photos taken at that time. Calling ahead was key, the norm was to do black and white and they don't show details. ( I just had to sign papers and show a photo ID> )
While reading my report I came up on many... many false statements.. uterus of normal size ( was 16 weeks pregnancy sized a year ago ) .. my mother had Parkinson's disease, pain on right side ( is left ) but the most concerning thing was he wrote there was swelling to my gall bladder.. ( the one that was surgically removed in 1993??) etc. I didn't know what to think. I can only guess as to why this happens, but it makes you wonder if they are confusing patients, doesn't it? I have since changed gyno... not for that reason, but so far things have been on course.
Best Wishes,
W/B
Unread 05-22-2005, 03:44 PM
untruthful dr

Quote:
Originally posted by walnut brownie
...but the most concerning thing was he wrote there was swelling to my gall bladder.. ( the one that was surgically removed in 1993??)
(((W/B))), even though this is not funny, I have to admit it made me grin. To report the condition of an organ that isn't even there...what next?!? :eyes:

I wonder if, in cases like these, the doctors dictate their reports and mumble or speak so fast that the transciptionist "hears" something other than what they said. I know that my own family physician (who I think the world of as a doctor) speaks really fast, and I have wondered upon occasion how his transcriptionist can stand it!

Anyway, I hope you all find the information you are seeking.

Best wishes,
Unread 05-23-2005, 07:38 AM
untruthful dr

I haven't had that problem with my new doctor but the ob/gyn that did all my fertility testing told me for YEARS everything was fine and sometimes it just takes time. I went back for my annual checkup 10 years after DS was born and the doctor asked if I had thought about having any more children. I told him that he said I was fine and it might take time....he informs me that I haven't ovulated since my son was born and there was no way I was going to get pregnant. Needless to say I was :burning: and he completely denied saying I was fine.
Unread 05-23-2005, 08:08 AM
untruthful dr

After 4 years of heavy periods, or no periods at all. Pain,endo and total frustration. I was being told by my GYN "Oh, you are beginning Menopause". Yet SHE never ran a test or anything else.

My Insurance changed providers. I had to find a new GYN. I did and once again explained all my symptoms. He did an exam...had me come back for an ultra sound.

While laying on the exam table...the New Dr. said,'And of course you know you have a tumor!" I swear I about fell off the table right there and then.

I was told that the tumor was so big it was like I was 8 months PG ! I had probably had it for at least 2 years, maybe longer. This explains why even when I would loose 10-12 pounds My pant size went up 4 sizes in 2 years! Mt waist just kept getting bigger.

I was also told that my Vagina had prolapsed into my cervix, and I had Retocele. At the time I had no idea what the Dr. was even talking about. But found out from this site why I had to push with my fingers all those years to have a BM.

I asked the new Dr. about why the Old Dr. hadn't told me about this...she must have at least 'felt it' during the exam
[ I had an exam from her only 3months before seeing the new guy].The dr. said that 90% of all tumors are only fibroids, so many times Dr. does not tell the patient...so they do not get upset. They just watch the tumors so they do not get to big!

EXCUSE ME ! A tumor the size of a dinner plate isn't too big????? If I had known, and I should have been told...it is MY BODY...I would have had it out 2 years ago.

I have no idea what the old Dr. was thinking! But I am gonna get my file and find out just what she did or did not know!

Kate - aka: Waldo
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:10 AM
read your medical record.

Hello everyone, I'm reading all these horror stories and it is true, You should always read and get copies of your medical record.
It will help you have the upper edge on follow up appointments. It's wise to understand there terminology. If you can't understand something they have said in a report go to a search engine. You can always call the hospital and ask for Medical records department. You also must sign a release of information.
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
untruthful dr

I know my doctor isn't the most forthcoming person either. He said he took pictures during my surgery. Haven't seen them, he said "the other dr. who assisted has them". I spoke to her, she said "he has them" or "maybe they were left in the OR". What?? Nobody seems to be concerned with a patient's missing pictures with my name on them!

Go figure!

- Kim
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:47 AM
untruthful dr

Quote:
Originally posted by waldo
After 4 years of heavy periods, or no periods at all. Pain,endo and total frustration. I was being told by my GYN "Oh, you are beginning Menopause". Yet SHE never ran a test or anything else.

This sounds Soooo familiar, but I blame myself for seeing a GP instead of a gyn when my symptoms started getting bad, and I don't think it was dishonesty... really think this was her "stock answer" to middle aged women with such complaints as mine... when I finally had such excruciating pain that I just couldn't take it anymore, my GP sent me for a CT scan, 'cause she thought I might have had diverticulosis. When the scan came back enlarged uterus (she couldn't tell by palpation??) and ovarian cysts, she referred me to a gyna who did ultrasounds and blood tests. The gyna was bluntly honest: Told me everything she knew I had, (Uterus the size of a 20-week pregnancy with multiple fibroids, chocolate cysts on both ovaries) as well as everything she suspected (rule out cancer, probable severe endo with adhesions)... After the rather difficult surgery, she told me that they had to call in a uro surgeon to fix one of my ureters that was buried in endo and adhesed to my uterine artery ... When I got the surgical report and the pathology report, everything was exactly as she said. I wonder how long it took to get this bad, and if I had realized that my GP didn't know what she was talking about, if I would've had the surgery earlier with less complication?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register