New Sister - anyone else with TVH experience to share? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Sister - anyone else with TVH experience to share? New Sister - anyone else with TVH experience to share?

Unread 04-22-2007, 09:11 AM
New Sister

Good Morning, I am 41 years old and had a TVH on April 11th (uterus and cervix only). I had a fibroid tumer hanging from my uterus a bit bigger than a baseball. I was in the hospital overnight only. So far so good. Had a few restless nights to which I felt as though I was crawling out of my skin. Dr. told me it was probably anxiety and to increase my exercise. I have. I am walking, slowly, up and down stairs, driving once a day. I am feeling pretty good. One thing that scares me is that all the healing is inside. That makes me nervous. I don't think that I'm doing too much. Is there a sister who has had a TVH and would like to share experiences?
~april07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2007, 04:07 PM
New Sister - anyone else with TVH experience to share?

Hi (((April07)))
Welcome to Hystersisters! It sounds like you're doing well so far with your recovery. I had a tvh too, with a couple of other repairs.
It can be a little harder with the incisions being internal, but our bodies have a way of telling us when we have over done or are pushing too hard. We just have to listen to what they are telling us.

At barely two weeks out you're still very early in your recovery. I hope you're sleeping a little better. How's the anxiety? It might be helpful for you to read through the Checkpoints to get an idea of what is good for you to be doing and not doing as you progress through your recovery.
I found I just had to start slowly and not push once I was tired or beginning to feel pain. Try to be patient with the process. We're here to help with any questions you have. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 04-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Well I guess i would fall in this category. I had my procedure April 12th. TVh with bladder tack..and feel great. I tire easily, but have a lot of energy. Almost no pain, except when I sneeze (coughing does not hurt). But the one thing that floors me on a regular basis (and I mean puts me on the floor) are the gas pains. I have tried GasX and all that stuff, walking etc, but when I eat a meal (anything bigger than a cookie, really) i get these twisting, stabbing pains in my lower ab area that feels as if someone is pulling my insides out. They have been so bad that at one point, I thought I was going to pass out and had to sit down with my head between my knees. I got light headed, my knees gave out and I felt faint. It was scary. Now I am so used to it, I know after I eat to expect it. Walking does not help and neither does the OTC meds. Dr told me it was normal. OK.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Other than everyone seems to think the healing is over because i am up and moving. Mom wants me to go to the mall. But I suppose part of that is my fault. i was so cabin fevered last week, I made DH take me to work with him. Granted I sat and did nothing but watched and climbed in the truck to nap, but now Mom thinks I can do laundry, strip the bed and run the vacuum cleaner. So it is hard not to just jump right in there.

I do know one thing, this was the best best best decision that I could have made to have this procedure done, and I am thankful that my Dr was as patient and understanding as he was and firm with the insurance company. Had it been up to them, I would have had to wait another 12-18 months.

Best of luck in your recovery.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 05:55 AM

Good Morning and thank you so much for your replies. My anxiety happens around 7:30pm-8:00pm at night. My legs get restless and at that time, I know I need to rest. During the day, I am up and around and I feel good doing that. I have very limited gas pain. For breakfast I have raisin bran cereal and take a Colace. Every morning I have a smooth bm. So that seems to work for me. I can understand how people think that you are back to normal. There is nothing to show. Everything is internal. That is a very difficult part of my recovery. I wish I could see what is happening. How things are going. I also have, sometimes, shooting pains in the pelvic area that takes my breath away as well. Are you experiencing soreness in you labia area? It feels as though there is a cut. I took a peek and there is nothing. I also looked at where they inserted the cathedar and I think that looks ok.

I am so glad that someone responded to me. I truly felt as though I was alone.

april07
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM
6weeks out

Hi April,
I'm 6 weeks out from my TVH (kept ovaries). Generally doing pretty well except for two little problems. I have an old hernia repair down there that keeps feeling like it's being pulled and something keeps falling into my vagina (I think my bowels). I'd say for me, it wasn't until last Wed. (of week 5) that I could say I'd reached the turnaround point. Up until then almost any activity wiped me out. Probably because of the ongoing complication(s) causing healing to go slowly. I'm still not allowed to drive although I too have to twice a day to get kids to & from school. But that's all.

I'd say, from my experience, you're past the hump point though. Week 2 was the hardest for me: gas, swelling and that's when the pulling and vaginal thing was at it's worst. Don't be surprised by feeling weird sensations down there for a while. At about week 3, my inner labia (outer vagina) and up through my vaginal vault kept going numb and tingly. Very wierd feeling. Week 4-6 is when stitches generally dissolve and many sisters report more spotting and seeing stitches. I didn't but had a couple days of feeling whacked even when doing nothing but resting. My Dr. warned that the 4 week point can be most dangerous because we feel better but the insides are now having to hold themselves together w/o the stitches to help. There's an article in the articles section about adhesions. You may want to look it over. That's the main thing to worry about with doing too much. If excessive adhesions form now they'll cause even more problems on down the road.

It is hard to keep taking it easy when there are no external signs of surgery, but remember there are hundreds of stitches inside still healing. Just hold firm and tell folks (mom included) that you aren't going to do ANYTHING that will jeapordize your healing.

LJC
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM
restless legs

April, I just re-read your entry and wanted to add a thought. You said your legs get restless when you lay down. Is this a new thing or on going for you? Have you heard of restless legs syndrome. I've been seeing lots of commercials for it lately. It's when you lay down and your legs start twitching or you get uncontrollable urges to have to get back up and move around. I'm sure webmd has something about it. If this is the case, you may want to see your reg. Dr. to see if he/she could do anything about that aspect so you can get better rest.

Are you still in much or any pain? I found I still had to take heavier meds at night even into week 4. Particularly when this pulling thing started or I'd had a more active day. Don't be afraid to take something for pain, even if just at night. Maybe try drinking chamomile tea just before going to bed. It's calming and relaxing along with tasting really nice.

Again,Good healing. LJC
Unread 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM

Hi April and LJC,
I just joined today and was reading you entries. April I am post TVH as of April 10th. Yes there are days where I fell great. (Fri). Think I did too much felling pretty bad today.

I too have the leg thing going on. My legs are aching. I am always asking my husband to rub them. I also wake up in the middle of the night and I am awake for hours watching TV land.

I am also taking the heavery meds before bed. I thought I was the only one. I hate calling the doctor all the time with questions. I think the are tired of hearing from me.

Do you have any bleeding still? Thanks so much it is great to have a group of women who have gone throught the same thing.

Take Care!
SLW
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:56 AM

LuvAggs85 & swilldesigner
Thank you all soooo much for the replies. It is great to know that i am not alone. Regarding my legs, I am trying to see if there is a pattern and it happens when I get tired at night. The symptoms no longer keeps me up @ night. When I was experiencing the leg thing, I called the doctor and he told me that it was probably anxiety and to increase my exercise. So I made it a point to walk around the house alot more, go up and down the stairs 1 time a day and to increase the pattern slowly. I think that it has worked for me. I had minimal bleeding right from the get go. I have been wearing a panty liner for just about 1 week with my granny panties (3 sizes bigger than normal). The bigger undies do not press against my belly. I got to tell, though, cant wait to get rid of them. I am all done w/my pain meds. I stopped taking them on Monday, April 16 (surgery April 11). I truly felt that I did not need them. Keep calling the doctor anytime you need to. They are also a support, medically.

Weather has been beautiful where I am, Mass. I make it a point to go outside and soak up some sun (vitamin D), enjoy the birds and be thankful that I am surviving this and each day I get better. SO... Please go out and enjoy the weather, if you can.

~april 07
Unread 04-23-2007, 11:00 AM

I have been lucky with no leg problems, just horrendous "gas" pains that can be crippling and honestly, like labour pains, mine got worse the more I walked. LOL who knows. I am also glad to know that I am not the only one who seems to over do it a bit because I feel so good then feel whipped the next day. I have also been enjoying hte weather here in VA (85 today) and my Dr thinks I have lost my mind because I am not calling complaining all the time.

But does anyone else feel very thirsty more so than before. I was drinking 64 ounces of water before and now I think I am up to 90+. I can't get enough.
Unread 04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
drank lots too

Dear PrincessD,
Yep, I drank lots too at that stage. I was going through about 8 16oz bottles of H2O a day, plus Ensure, plus cranberry juice. I've noticed the last week or so, now, I need to remind myself to keep drinking more.

I think with all the healing and swelling, our bodies are just needing more fluids.

Hang in there. Also, don't be surprised if you need those pain meds off and on again even after stopping them for a while. I'd take a couple advil or a naprosyn and then if that didn't take the edge off at least, I'd take the big guns pain med. After the pulling at my old hernia repair started (week2.5), I needed the heavier stuff again.

Check out the Recovery threads for your surgical week. You can become pretty close with those who are sharing the same experiences. Also, I used to look at the ones about a week out from me so I could see what to expect or not be surprised by.

LJC

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register