traveling about 50 miles to hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

traveling about 50 miles to hospital traveling about 50 miles to hospital

Unread 05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
traveling about 50 miles to hospital

I am having a TAH or LAVH with BSO in 5 days may have to have a radical. I have a bicorbate uterus (double uterus) the left one is over 20cm at last measurement and growing fast. My left ovary is twice the size of my right. I have a poor family history since I lived in a childrens home and foster care. My tests have been negative for fibroids but my CA125 is within normal range (barely) and my endometrial biopsy was normal.

I have several questions. 1- Has anyone had similar circumstances and if so what was the outcome?
2- I live 45-50 miles away from the hospital. Any travel tips to get back home? I am staying in a hotel the night before my surgery.
3- any tips for hormone replacement or natural help with symptoms if I cannot take HRT?
4- any last minute tips to bring to hospital or questions for preop which is in two days?
5-tips to help my family cope esp. 11 year old son when I am having trouble coping myself?

Thanks in advance for any help and support. This site has already been a blessing and a Godsend.

Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2008, 11:00 PM

Your are the second person I've heard of to have a double uterus. My sister in law had a double uterus. I cannot remember when she had her surgery, but her doctor left one ovary. Other then that she really did not tell me anything more about her surgery. I only live about fifteen min. from where I had my surgery, but I used a pillow for the seatbelt and a circle cushion for my bottom. If it were me; I would find a point to stop at on the way to the castle and stop and walk around there on the way back. Although my kids are younger then your son, I told them that since mommy does not deel well, the doctor needs to get my bad parts out so I can get better. Your son may understand more, but if you explain it to him in a way that shows you are to get better, it should help. As for the hormone replacement, there are the creams, the patch and a new one I read about today in the post op side. Someone there was asking about SottoPelle Therapy. I googled it and it seems to be of intrest. Hard to find a Doctor who perscribes it in some areas, but worth a trip in my book from what I googled. Wishing you wellness! Jennifer
Unread 05-26-2008, 12:31 PM

{{{stwnurse}}}

I don't have much to offer for the medical. I haven't had any experience with that.

I can offer that for the drive home it would be a good idea to have a pillow for your tummy to protect against the seatbelt, and maybe one for your head so you can sleep. You might also want to stop half way and get out a walk a little bit.

For the hospital/questions, I would be asking about what other recommendations they have on the drive home. I don't what you are already planning on taking to the hospital so I don't know what to add. There are threads on the site that offer suggestions and ideas on things to bring and things not needed.

For your 11 year old, well I have a 16 and 9. I have been preparing them on what to expect when I get home. How much help I will need. How much pain I might be in. Also, what the surgery is entailing, without too much information. From what I have witnessed with my twoDS's, once they have the information, the process and can let go and move on. They don't seem to be obsessing too much. I just honestly answer their questions and allow them to ask what ever they want no matter how uncomfortable. I don't know how your DS is, but that is what has worked for me.

Most importantly, be good to yourself. Pamper yourself before and after. Take the time necessary to heal properly. You only get one shot at it so make it count. Its better than a possible life time of complications.

Prayers to you and your DS. May you have a complete and successful surgery and fast, pain free recovery.

{{{Hugs}}} and Blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2008, 01:13 PM

I fthe hospital offers you pain medication just before you leave, take it! It will help the drive home.

You may want to ask your doctor if it is necesary for you to get out and walk around on the way home. I live about 40 miles from the hospital where I had my surgery and was not told I should walk around. In fact, I fell asleep on the way home so you can tell the pain was not too bad.

I cannot talke HRT because of a sister with breast cancer. When going through menopause, I took Clonidine, which is designed for blood pressure but which helped my hot flashes. After my hysterectomy, I have had a little insomina and times when I felt as if a hot flash was coming on, but 10 weeks after surgery, both of these symptoms have settled down.

You may want to ask for a private room at the hospital. Several hystersisters have reported this was a big help. I had an inconsiderate roommate but only had to stay in one night.

As far as your family goes, if you have neighbors or friends who offer meals, take the food and enjoy. We had several delicious dinners prepared for us and it was a relief for DH not to have to cook.

My surgeon and anestheologist did a great job and I have had a good recovery. I will be praying for the same experience for you.
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Hi bookworm! I was just telling my husband tonight I used to LOVE to read and now never do- maybe I will during recovery.
Look around on this site- there's lot's of info. and suggestions about what to bring, etc. As for your ovaries- when I asked my doc. about it (my prev. gyn said "take everything out- you won't have to worry". The surgeon said, "Why would you ever remove a healthy ovary?"
One last thing- I remember my mom having her hysterectomy when I was about 8 years old. I was sick with worry and was so afraid she wasn't going to come home. I remember exactly what my cousin explained to me that helped me feel better, "Our moms have a bag inside of them that holds the baby 'till it's ready to come out. They've had so many babies that the bag is worn out and the doctor has to take it out- then she'll feel better" For years I pictured an old worn out paper sack!!
Good luck and keep looking around- I'm trusting we're all going to find the answers we need!
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Thank you to all my hystersisters who gave support and prayers, I value all of your answers tremendously and they all helped me be more prepared for the castle.

Liz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register