Last minute freak out, please help. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last minute freak out, please help. Last minute freak out, please help.

Unread 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Last minute freak out, please help.

I am having my LAVH and a hemmrohidectomy Monday. I had my pre-op today and was a total freak and didn't ask anything. I did get some xanax to calm me down and I just took one so hopefully my anxiety will come down to a manageable level soon.

I am not so much worried about the LAVH as I trust my doctor and know it will be ok. I am terrified of the Hemmrhoid surgery as I have read horror stories. I made my decision about it and I am trying to stick to that decision because I know it is what I want to do but the anxiety is making me second guess myself.

I have had several calls from the surgery center today and it is all very real. I asked if I could take xanax on surgery morning and she said if I did they would cancel my surgery.

My husband is taking me out for date night tonight so I am going to try to enjoy that and put this out of my mind for a bit.

If anyone has any words of encouragement I would love to hear them. Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Re: Last minute freak out, please help.

Hi Jessica ~~

Being nervous before your surgery is very normal and since you are having two procedures, you are bound to be extra nervous. Everything will be OK. Listen to the nurse and don't take anything before you go to the hospital. Follow your pre-op instructions exactly! When you get to the hospital, explain to the nurses how scared you are and they will probably give you something there to calm you down. They will take very good care of you. Before you know it, you will be home, tucked in nice and cozy, and recuperating from both of your surgeries.

I will think of you on Monday and send you lots of positive thoughts. Monday is my first day back to work after my TLH. Take care, try not to worry, and enjoy your date tonight.
Unread 04-09-2010, 03:32 PM

I don't know anything about a surgery for hemmroids! I have them bac, should I mention that to my doctor? I just found out I have to have a hysterectomy but don't have a date scheduled yet.

I totally can relate to the anxiety. I am prescribed xanax to take 3x a day! I wish I had some magic words for you because I feel your pain. People always tell me to meditate and try relaxation techniques. (they obviously do not have anxiety disorder/panic disorder) Just remember to breathe through your nose and out your mouth while trying to remain calm! This is a scary thing, you are not alone. I know personally, I just joined this site today, but knowing that there are other women out there who know how it feels is comforting. The best thing I can come up with is "this too shall pass."

Good luck and good energy to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Glad you found this site for support. I don't know anything about your Hem. surgery so can't help you there. I am sure the hospital is very used to people having anxiety attacks before surgery. Don't take the xanax since that might interfere with the anesthesia. Tell the nurse as soon as you get back into a pre-op room that you need something to calm you down! They will know what you can have!

Good luck with everything on Monday!

Sue
LAVH/BSO
Unread 04-09-2010, 04:17 PM

I for sure won't take the xanax on surgery day. I don't want to mess anything up for myself. Thanks for the encouragement. It really does help. Apparently so does the xanax by the way. I am feeling much better.

Regs76 - you could ask your dr. but he/she will probably refer you to a colon/rectal surgeon. Make sure they are board certified in colon/rectal surgery. You can check on their website.

I did ask the nurse about a sedative when I went back and she said I would have to talk to the anesthesiologist. But, my dr. told me he would be there early and come see me right away so I will ask him. He is very accomodating and caring so I am sure he will give me something.
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Wow! double surgery and worries, huh? I am sure your family and friends are sending you wishes and prayers. I send you my best too as I will be following into surgery this week. It's amazing how soon a cut heals, a cold dries up, hiccups stop, bruises disappear. your body is strong and knows how to do all these things, and has been there for you all your life. It won't let you down at this time either. may
God/Goddess or what ever you believe in guide your surgeons hands and all the surgery team. May you have an incredible feeling of peace before, during and after surgery. May your recovery be complete and you will soon celebrating another date with your beloved husband.
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM

I am totally not surprised that you are nervous about this. After all you have two surgeries. I had hemorrhoid surgery years ago and did fine with it but didn't have it with hysterectomy. Like everyone else has been saying, tell them immediately that you are very nervous.
When I said that, they started the Iv and gave me meds and after that I was fine-actually according to my mom I was very talkative and making comments about the room and stuff. I do remember that when they took me into the operating room, that I said something about the eskimoes must love it in here because it was like a refrigerator. After that, nothing. I woke up and they took great care of me. Let them know immediately if you have pain so they can stay on top of it. I am sure you will do fine. Sending lots and lots of
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM

hang in there!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register