Things to Drink after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things to Drink after surgery Things to Drink after surgery

Unread 11-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Things to Drink after surgery

Please give me ideas on liquids to stock up on for after surgery. I know some things cause gas, and I've got enough of that already!

Thanks in advance.

Silly Sister
surgery date: Dec. 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2002, 03:35 PM

I stocked up on apple juice, orange juice and cranberry juice and drank them diluted all day long----like 1/4 juice and 3/4 water with lots of ice (I diluted to cut down on caloric intake and to not overload with sugar). It's a good idea to stay away from anything carbonated, as that will enhance any gas problems.

Also, herbal teas were great.

's and Best Wishes!
Unread 11-15-2002, 03:39 PM

I drank juices, but also LOTS of water....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Home made broths

I had home made chicken broth and home made vegetable broths on hand, along with home made gelatine made with clear gelatine and fruit juice diluted half and half with water.
Unread 11-15-2002, 04:03 PM

Hi Silly Sister,

I also drank lot of water, apple juice, orange juice and I drank prune juice too. I was always afraid that I was going to have a hard time with having a bm, but I didn't.

Hope this helps.
Lmd
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:01 PM

I drank things like gatorade, cranberry juice, hot herbal teas .... basically things I drank prior to surgery. I avoided for a little bit carbonated beverages, milk and apple juice.

While I was at the castle one of the nurses got angry because someone had given me apple juice. She said it caused a lot of gas.

BSQ
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:22 PM

Hi , I drank juices, water, hot tea, spiced apple cider, & I couldn't get enough rainbow sherbet. I usually live on coffee but didn't seem to want much of it for a few weeks post op.
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:52 PM

Miso soup (box or packets) which I boiled with noodles; green tea with chopped fresh ginger (soothing to the tummy) and honey (soothing to the throat)...

We normally drink a lot of lemonade during the summer and orange juice (we have a dozen citrus trees, at least) but I couldn't handle the acid for those first few weeks (almost two months before it tasted right).

Apple juice is almost pure sugar, which is why it causes so much gas...the bacteria that normally live in your intestines just thrive on sugar, and multiply, causing the gas. Not a good way to spend your calories in any event!

And coffee, for me, was pretty much out for the first month at least. It just didn't taste right. This may be partly hormonal, at least, as it's the same experience I had with coffee each time I was pregnant...in fact, although I lost nearly all of the pregnancies early, I knew before the testing did, as my "coffee buds" always went wacko before I tested positive. Weird, huh? Anyway, as some of the same hormones are involved with menopause, I think the coffee distaste (chocolate was also distasteful though for a MUCH shorter time) was a hormonal thing.

Your taste buds may well be different too immediately post-op. It's not an uncommon complaint around here!

and good luck with everything!

Audrey
Unread 11-16-2002, 08:39 AM
coffee and tea irritated my bladder post op

tea especially. Not really sure if it was the caffiene or the acids in these beverages that cause the problem, but I need to avoid them. Other women may do fine on them.

I would want to check the labels on herbal teas carefully since herbs are medicinal in some cases. Lot of drugs given post op and no point risking an interaction. Hot water and lemon is nice and warming. Ice water is perfect for hot flash time.

I have been loading up on milk in my quest to avoid being a stooped over old crone before my time.
Unread 11-16-2002, 11:54 AM

I drank a lot of water, and some juice - grape and oj mostly. Normally I drink a couple of diet pepsi's every day, but I had no desire for one for at least three weeks. I still don't drink as much as I used to, and my surgery was over 9 months ago.

For the first few weeks, before I had much appetite I drank slim-fast shakes for lunch. I figured it was nourishment I wasn't getting from food.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register