Arriving at hospital 5:15am-are they nuts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Arriving at hospital 5:15am-are they nuts? Arriving at hospital 5:15am-are they nuts?

Unread 06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Arriving at hospital 5:15am-are they nuts?

What on earth is the hospital trying to do to me?

If I have to be to the Castle so early in the morning, how do they think I could possibly get any rest the night before? I'm sure my head will barely hit the pillow before it's time to rise & shine! (yeah right)

So what is a girl supposed to do?

I will have to get up by 3:30-4am (to get ready, shower etc) because the hospital is about a 45 minute drive. My surgery is set for 7:15am and I'm the first one, oh my!

How did ya'll handle this?

~hugs~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Early!

My arrival time and commute length were the same as yours. I only got about an hour of sleep the night before. It was fine, though. All the staff was impressed at how calm I was prior to surgery. Didn't tell them it was just a coma from lack of sleep. I slept all day after the surgery anyway so I didn't miss it. Good luck to you, be a good when you get home!
Unread 06-09-2003, 04:41 PM

HI,
I'm have a TAH/BSO the same day as you. I don't have to be at the hospital quite as early as you and I'm only about 15 minutes, but it is still early for me. I have to be there at 6:30 for surgery at 8:30. I don't know how I'll do it either I'm not used to getting up till around 8.
Good luck on Friday!

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2003, 04:44 PM

Juliebelle,
First of all good luck to you. My surgery was also set for 7:15 and I had to be at the hospital by 5:30. You will be glad you did. You will probably be the first patient on your doctor's schedule - so you don't have to worry about him/her getting backed up and running late. Secondly, not being able to eat or have coffee, you don't want to have to wait around any longer than you have to starving to death. The earlier the better is my preference. By the way, I didn't get any sleep the night before. I watched alot of Nickelodeon and Comedy Central on cable....

Bigbear
TAH/BSO 5/14
Unread 06-09-2003, 04:48 PM

I'm with you, geesh....they might as well admit you the night before. I was thankful that I was the second case of the morning and didn't have to be there until 9 a.m. That's about as early as I can handle. I guess you could have declined the first slot, but sometimes the doctors fall behind and you are waiting around!

Mary W
Unread 06-09-2003, 04:53 PM

I guess no time is the right time. My surgery is tomorrow and my
time is 1:00 p.m. I wish I had an early time so that I wouldn't worry so much. By the time 1:00 rolls around they better have some good meds for me because I'm gonna be a basket case.
Hugs
Mariann
Unread 06-09-2003, 05:28 PM

Having to be there 2 hours prior is standard. I had my TAH last Monday (June 2) and I had to be there at 5:30 for a 7:30 surgery. (I knew I wouldn't sleep much the night before and would be stressed out, so I stayed at a friends house the night before and he kept me calm and ratoinal about the whole thing.) It took 15 minutes to register once I arrived. Then I went down to the "same day op" waiting area. At about 6:00 they called me back and started all the basics (weight, blood pressure, IV, etc). At 6:45, I was taken down to talk to the anestesologist (???), and at 7:15 my doc stopped by for a quick chat. I was out by 7:30 and woke up at 11:00....not for long though. I slept most of the day! Good luck....you'll do great!

Mechille
Unread 06-09-2003, 05:51 PM

Honestly ladies, I didn't even sleep the night before. I stayed up running around the house trying to get everything in order. I ended up staying up until 3 am and taking a shower and then going to bed for about 3hours before the alarm went off.

Even if I would have gotten everything done I would have not been able to sleep. Trust me, you will get all kinds of sleep during and after the surgery.
Unread 06-09-2003, 05:53 PM
6AM for me

My doc asked me to check in at 6AM for an 8AM surgery. I prefer earlier to later so that my caffeine-withdrawal headache doesn't kick in. :-)

When I had my tubes tied, I was scheduled for 1PM, but due to a couple of emergencies they didn't wheel me into the OR until 3:30PM. My head was POUNDING from lack of coffee and food. I'm not a morning person, so that's a good time to knock me out flat.
Unread 06-09-2003, 08:08 PM

Well it looks like the earlier the better in this case...now if I can only drag my big butt out of bed at 4am it will be a miracle. But I'm sure I'll be up all night, since I have to do the cleansing drink the day before. So I might as well stay awake watching all those late night, oldie game shows...those are such a hoot!

One good thing about being so early is that I'll be so tired, I will want them to knock me out, so I can finally get some sleep

Once again, thanks for all the valuable insite that you girls seem to have a never-ending supply of around here

~hugs~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register