Would slacks fit differently? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would slacks fit differently? Would slacks fit differently?

Unread 11-22-2002, 03:26 AM
Would slacks fit differently?

I was just wondering if maybe there'll be difference in the way my slacks fit after surgery and after the swelling goes down? I have rapidly growing fibroid(s?) that was the size of a hefty softball 5 months ago, although I don't know what it is now. I go in for a preop visit next week and surgery on Dec. 5th. This is probably a silly thing to think about really but maybe it is just a mental diversion from the surgery. Anyway, for some time I've suspected that my abdomen is protruding a bit more than it used to. Just seems that I don't have such a large fibroid that it would make a difference.
Guess I could be premature in rushing out to get other new work clothes in the next week - am working up to the surgery date. I haven't had weight gain otherwise.
I guess I'm surpressing other concerns but if anyone out there has any experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 03:57 AM

Hi, EllieB,

I didn't have fibroids, so I can't give you any personal experience, but if I were you, I'd wait awhile to buy any new clothes, because you may experience swelly belly for several months, off and on, after your surgery.

I normally wear dresses or two piece suits with skirts to work, and was glad that they are pleated, or gathered.

But, if you're in the mood to shop anyway , then you could always get something new to lounge around the house in during recovery.

's

Karen
Unread 11-22-2002, 07:44 AM

Hi , I'm almost 4 months post op and fit in my pre hyst pants again but they don't feel good against my still sometimes sensitive tummy after a few hours. So I'm mainly wearing stretch pants right now, and casual dresses. I agree with Karen that I'd wait to buy a lot of new clothes til you know what will work for you. Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 08:01 AM

I had a large fibroid, and while I am back into my jeans I limit the length of time in them (the zipper still feels stiff and uncomfortable against the incision)...don't buy clothes yet...

z
Unread 11-22-2002, 08:11 AM
I vote for holding off on shopping

3.5 weeks post op and I have lost weight. Not had much swelly belly to talk about either but the thought of anything tight is not something I want to entertain either.

Most likely, I will regain the weight loss, improve abdominal muscle tone and get in better shape as recovery moves along. I am a stay at home wife, so no need for a lot of dress clothes with my lifestyle anyway.

I also know that to-die-for outfit is going to go on clearance after the holidays too. Why pay full price? I have a feeling I am going to need new bras soon. And plan on a drawerful of new panties without fear of stains!
Unread 11-22-2002, 08:20 AM

Hi ellieb6801, I had LAVH-BSO for four fibroids with one being the size of a softball. After surgery my abdomen was significantly smaller, very noticable, but as our sisters have already stated...here comes the swelling that will make your pre-op clothes tighter for some time to come, off and on. So i don't believe I would go out just yet and buy new clothes, give it a while. I can tell you after this surgery and getting rid of those fibroids I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER I am so happy now to say "I feel as if I have had a brick removed from my abdomen and back pain is gone. Good luck and you will be in my
Unread 11-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Thanks for reply

I appreciate the comments to this somewhat trivial question about how my pants will fit after I lose the softball sized fibroid(s).
You are right, it would be a good idea just to see how things are after the surgery and the holidays and then take advantage of the New Year sales. Maybe, just maybe, getting rid of the fibroids won't mean a new wardrobe as long as I can deal with the swelling in the meantime.
For the past year or so I've felt like I've had something hard down below my naval that offers resistance when I slump or bend at the waist slightly. These things have been growing for more than 10 years so it has been gradual - only up to the past calendar year or so when it seems they are in a race to grow. I've been lucky with few symptoms, and those tolerable, until recently.
By the way just what is considered a large fibroid? I would guess one that is bothersome. Dr. told me he has seen women with basketball-sized ones and I can't imagine how that would be.
Again, thank you.
Unread 11-22-2002, 07:11 PM

Just for fun, do what I did. I measured my belly around the biggest part the night before surgery. At last check, it had gone down over 2 inches.

I don't know what sizes my individual fibroids were, but my uterus was the size of a cantaloupe, which the doctor said was equivalent to about 3 months pregnant. He said I had quite a "rock garden." My oldest sister had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit.
Unread 11-24-2002, 05:06 AM

Dear ellieB,
After my surgery (9/20/02) TAH, Once the initial swelling from surgery went down my slacks actually were looser. Best wishes,
Pinky (Diane)
Unread 11-26-2002, 07:54 AM
Shared surgary date

Hi there
We share the same surgary date i will be thinking of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register