What are Kegels? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are Kegels? What are Kegels?

Unread 08-27-2005, 06:13 AM
What are Kegels?

Please enlighten me. I've read so many posts about 'Kegels' to treat or prevent urinary incontinence. It seems like everyone but me knows what they are. I've worked out they are some kind of exercise but would someone please explain how to do them as I am starting to have problems 9 months after my TAH. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2005, 06:17 AM
What are Kegels?

Kegels is a exercise for your virgina. It's like when your going pee, and you stop it. You tighten up everything down there. They want you to do it repeatedly. A couple times a day. Just tighten up the muscles in the netherreigon over and over again.
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-27-2005, 08:24 AM
What are Kegels?

I'm no expert, but I think "Kegels" are the muscles in the "floor" of the pelvis that support the organs (including the bladder) there. If you exercise them, and keep them strong, they can help with incontinence by providing additional strength for "holding it in."
It can also be a real booster for sex, I've heard.
I'm sure there is more, and probably better, information in the Articles section here at HysterSisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2005, 10:43 AM
What are Kegels?

Hi Yvonne:

My doc had a drawing (ie, like in a science book) showing the bladder supported by strong ligaments & weak ligaments... the weak ligaments let drips come out, in other words, stress incontinence. Daily kegel exercises make for strong ligaments to support the bladder, and are recommended for all women (hysterectomy or not).

Go to this link, you will see the ligaments image and learn more than you ever wanted to know about kegels. The medical drawing shown here speaks volumes:

http://www.universityobgyn.com/kegal.htm

Kegels can also enhance your activities under the sheets

Hope this info helps
Unread 08-27-2005, 11:30 AM
What are Kegels?

Hi,

I have read that you should avoid doing Kegels while peeing. It can lead to UTIs, because bacteria from outside your urethra gets drawn in.

Sometimes it is hard to begin to do them without trying them while peeing. It is the easiest way to figure out what a successful Kegel "feels" like, but don't make a habit of it.

Can anyone tell me what a device called a "Super Kegel" is? Where can you get one?

Thanks
Unread 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
What are Kegels?

Thanks for all the replies. The site with the diagram & explanation was especially helpful - I'll get started on the exercises right away. I've had a couple of litle 'accidents' and also now when I have to go 'wee' I have to go urgently. I know if I don't do something now the problem will get worse.
I'm going overseas in two weeks' time and while I am resigned to the fact that I will have to wear a pad (thought those days were over!) in case of leaks - there are bound to be times when I can't make it to the toilet fast enough - I will be doing the exercises while I am there and hopefully will start to see an improvement.
I appreciate all the help & support. You ladies always come through!
Unread 08-27-2005, 04:19 PM
What are Kegels?

Many years ago drs used to tell you to do the Kegels while urinating (stopping the flow, restarting it)..
but my dr says today - nope, do not do that, can lead to a UTI!

The Kegels do help with sex. I would say that it's like a "hug" or "squeeze" on your partner while he's in there!
The DH loves it!

You might ask your dr about a vaginal estrogen.
I use vagifem and it has greatly reduced my urgent peeing issues!! I love it! (It builds up the lining of the vagina and helps the urethra muscles too!) In about 2 weeks I felt great relief from the urgency and near leakage!

If you cannot use/or prefer to not use a vaginal estrogen, I think there non-estrogen medications that help with urgency. (Saw a commercial, can't recall the product, sorry. But you could ask your dr.)
Unread 08-27-2005, 04:44 PM
What are Kegels?

I would suggest using peeing as a way to gauge how well you are doing with them. Before I started Kegels, I tried to stop my pee in midstream, and couldn't at all. Showed I was in desperate need of action!

Then I spent a week doing Kegals as many times a day as I thought about it. I started lying down with my knees up. 4 seconds contracting, 4 seconds relaxing. I found I could just notice my pelvic floor rising. Once I got used to what it felt like, I practised when I was sitting or standing as well.

After a week, I tested my pee control again! I was much better at stopping the flow. But to make sure you don't get infections, only do it early in your pee - just once- and then completely empty your bladder.

Can't wait to try out my new muscles on my husband!!!

So
Unread 08-28-2005, 03:19 AM
What are Kegels?

I had UTI's all the time and had heard that the kagels would give them too. BUT...there are different ways of Kegel. One is when you pee and stop the flow for 3 seconds the pee[about a tablespoon] then hold again.As the above post has an address you can go to and see the laying down kind. I use the Super Kegel. It's kind of Y shaped device you put between your upper thighs. You press your thighs closed on it. It pulls the pelvic back up where it's needs to be. A stroung pelvic floor also makes for a firmmer belly! I use to be loose as a goose but my hubby says things down there are much tighter.[YEA] The pee Kegel you don't do on your first morning pee. I had my LAVH/BSO June 2,2005. I started using the Super Kegel about a month after the surgery. I now do the pee kagels too...I'm very pleased. You my find one at the drug store. A friend and I found them at will known auction site on line. I paid under $15.00 with shipping. I have seen them in books for as much as $29.00 not counting shipping. I have had no IUT's.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register