Orange-pineapple Golytely anyone??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Orange-pineapple Golytely anyone??? Orange-pineapple Golytely anyone???

Unread 06-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Orange-pineapple Golytely anyone???

When the nurse handed me the gallon jug, she said she picked the orange-pineapple flavor packet to go with it.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried that flavor before? I don't recall any posts that have.

Should I drink it plain or with the flavor packet?

I have to start tomorrow at 2pm, ewwww!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2003, 10:23 PM

Hi Julie

I have a suggestion: why don't you first try it plain, then if you don't like it, add the flavor packet. If you still don't like it, hold your nose and drink it fast!!!!!

Good luck. Hope it doesn't taste to bad.

Sending you a big You're in my thoughts and *Pray prayers for your surgery.

Sending you another big

Patty
Unread 06-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Could you explain???

I am confused. I'm thinking this has something to do with a bladder test of some kind, am I close to the mark or way off????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2003, 10:50 PM

Julie, Drinking it cold might help, and try a straw so that it passes the taste buds. It's pretty nasty stuff, so you might want to add the flavor packet.

Bev, the go-lytely is something Julie's doctor wants her to drink before surgery. It empties the bowels so that the doctor can move them aside during surgery to prevent them from accidentally being nicked and to give him a better surgical field.

If you doctor doesn't prescribe a bowel prep, don't do one on your own. Some doctors prefer not to have their patients do this so don't do it unless you're told to.
Unread 06-12-2003, 05:15 AM

...oops I should have explained myself better. Catherine, you did a great job, that is exactly how my dr described it!

GoLytely=bowel prep

I will definitely chill it and sip it thru a straw.

Just wondered what taste I should expect. I read that it tastes like ocean water...mmmmm yummy, NOT

Thanks for the tips/advice ladies!
Unread 06-12-2003, 07:26 AM

They really misnamed this stuff, as far as the patient is concerned. Most of the bowel preps cause diarrhea until the bowel is emptied. Some people have had problems with loosing their electroLYTEs out through their bowel system with the other preps with the loose of so much liquid in the stool. So they developed this go-lytely prep so you could clean out the bowels and not loose your electroLTYEs. Therefore they called it go-LYTEly. Usually it is the more infirm that have actual problems when their electolytes are depleated but that is was pedialyte is for also. From what most people says they don't go lightly. Had to be a man who never took it who named it, don't you think? Again the choice is usually the doctors and what they prefer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register