Huge fibroid, need advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Huge fibroid, need advice Huge fibroid, need advice

Unread 07-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Huge fibroid, need advice

Please forgive me, I am so new at this, I am sure I am probably posting in the wrong place.

I am 41, and in the last two weeks have discovered that I have a huge fibroid 15cm x 13 cm x 9 cm. I have a lot of pelvic pressure, and thought it was at first a bladder infection. I knew a fibroid was in there during pregnancy 2 yrs ago, but apparently it has grown! Uterus at 17 weeks.

I have seen two doctors who have said it must come out! I am so confused. I would consider a myomectomy, but they both said that would be tough to do and if I don't want more children, don't try it.

Ok, so now abdominal hysterectomy the only one recommended.

Another concern, I know that bladder may drop after uterus removed. My question is do I have a urologist on hand during surgery for a "bladder sling?" and to make sure the bladder is ok? Do I have a plastic surgeon at least on hand to close me up. I can only imagine the scar. Friends are recommending a tummy tuck while they are in there since I have a protruding tummy and back pain.

I have a wonderful husband who will take time off work to help in the recovery, but I have 3yr and 2yr old boys to care for, too.

Obviously, no one here can give medical advice, but my head is swimming. I can only research while children napping, and I can't even imagine a string of more doctor appointments.

I have tried to do a lot of archive searches on this site, and it has been extremely helpful, but I am limited on time and my fatigue level is so high.

How do I check out surgeons? I live near Dallas, so I am sure there is some competent in the area, but how do I even check up on the two doctors that have seen me. I don't feel completey comfortable with either, but it may be because they weren't telling me what I wanted to hear!

Please forgive my long and worrisome post. I am just so confused and worried, and HURTING from the pressure and pain.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2003, 08:19 AM

It was 17 years ago, but when we moved to a new state and I had to find a gyne, I was nervous to say the least! I got a few opinions from people I met and I just made appointments and interviewed THEM...insurance may not allow that anymore, but it might be worth the out of pocket to call and explain situation and ask to just speak to the doc on the phone or have a short office visit to accertain compatibility...word of mouth has always worked the best though because it's an opinion from someone who has had the doc for awhile...you could also access the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology online and contact them to check on the guys you already went to...your county Health Department may be able to help you find a good doc or would be able to direct you to someplace else...good luck! Sharon
Unread 07-26-2003, 09:25 AM

I didn't have a GYN when my problem started (also a large firoid, but mine appeared OUT OF nowhere overnight)
Chose one by word of mouth and also checked NYS MD licensing board to see if there had ever been any complaints filed against her or anything like that. That was helpful to me.

About your incision,,talk to your Dr.. Mine was vertical by neccessity (size and location of fibroid) and my Dr. agreed to close me with stitches as I had a (mental, emotional) problem with the concept of staples. She new how concerned I was about the incision and scarring and really did a BEAUTIFUL job.

Someone else I know didn't talk to Dr. about incision before hand.Says her scar is very ugly and she feels like he looked at herand thought "she's an old broad anyway, who cares'

So i feel that it's very important to let your Dr. know ALL of your concerns and fears before hand.

Good luck

Hugs and sympathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2003, 10:14 AM

Sorry you are having to go through all this! Like the other ladies have posted, I discovered my first set of fibroids just after I moved clear across country. Fortunately I work in an office with a lot of women who all seemed to speak very highly of a facility near by. I am fortunate that the first doctor I went to is the one I have stuck with.

My first question would be why did both doctors say that they couldn't do a myomectomy? I would imagine the size has something to do with it, but I also wonder if it is positioned in a difficult place or something trickey like that.

The reason I ask this is because I have had several myomectomies with different types of fibroids. My largest was the size of a softball, but I usually had multiple fibroids. (my doctor uses sport balls as comparison's for size). In all those myomectomies, the only one the doctor said he thought he might have had to to a hyst once he got in there, was for one growing on both sides of my uterus wall, and one attached to an ovary. That surgery was several hours long, but he was able to do it.

The scar: well, I've had both horizontal and vertical incisions, and the scar was really not noticeable.

The portruding belly: I know lots of sisters say they got a tummy tuck at the same time, but you might want to consider that your tummy is pouching because of the fibroid and once it is removed it will go down.

the bladder thing: My first question to my doctor was "what takes up the place of where my uterus was?" Hi chuckled and said to not worry he would tie everything up nice n tight. Boy did he. I felt that tightness for a very long time. I had had no issues with my bladder, and my doctor seeemd to know going in, that he would not. Of course, he had been in there several times before and knew how things looked.

If you are not completely comfortable with your doctor, even on the first visit, I'd say to keep looking. that is my personal opinion. I knew my was right for me the miniute I met him.

All the best to you ...

BSQ
Unread 07-26-2003, 10:37 AM

If you are not ready, don't do it. Get more docs opinions...however; it sounds like your doctors are giving you good advice. My uterus was a 4 month pregnancy size & I had two fibroids...the largest the size of an extra large plum. Your fibroid is huge. The normal size of a uterus is 6 to 9 cm. The docs recommended a TAH (bikini cut) for me since my uterus and fibroids were up high (kept ovaries). I have never had kids. For fibroids your size, I think most docs would recommend a TAH. Sometimes fibroids can have lesions (sp?) and can draw their blood supply from other organs. That full range of view can be important. My doc found some patches of endo while they were in there & seemed to think that was causing a lot of my pain. The big fibroid caused pressure, but no pain in my situation. The fibroid was pressing into my bladder & I was getting concerned on how this was effecting my other organs. I'm just two weeks post op & I'm SO glad I did it. It was much easier than I expected & only had to spend one night in the castle. I didn't have any bladder work, so I can't give you any suggestions on that. I found the TAH to be much easier than my (lap) gall bladder surgery last year. I was in much more pain before the hyster, than after. Only had to take two pain pills when I got home. I feel 10 years younger! Making the decision was the hardest part. I know how torn your feel. Learn everything you can. This site is great! You can search and get my original post...."Fibroid Lady in Waiting." I was right where you were, just a month ago. The one thing that I did right was research! I found a GREAT doctor who is an EXCELLENT surgeon. All I have is a seven inch long scratch. No staples & all internal stitches. Blessings to you!
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:34 AM

Well, you're in good company here!

I'm also 41. It's only been a couple of months since I got diagnosed with fibroids - last I heard it/they were the size of a 5 month pregnancy. I've been lucky in that I haven't had much in the way of pain - just tons of discomfort. My back seems to have a constant low level ache and some days it feels like I'm carrying around a cantalope between my hips <g>. My bladder has felt like it's been squished a bit but really don't think that it will need any repair at this time.

Have you read Fibroids by Johanna Skilling? Might want to look through it while you're making your decision - will give you a chance to see how a variety of women have dealt with what we're going through.

For me the decision was fairly quick and fairly easy. I have great kids and know that I don't want any more. I really couldn't see spending lots of time and energy on treatments that only MIGHT take care of my problems. My periods get worse every month and I just feel too tired, physically and emotionally, to deal with them any longer. I'm afraid that if I leave them in they will only grow and cause me more trouble later on but treatments to shrink them will only put off the inevitable.

Good luck with this big decision. Only you can make it but we'll be here to support you no matter what you choose.
Unread 07-27-2003, 03:53 AM

Hi there. I too have little ones a 2 year old boy and a 6 month old girl. I had a TAH on July 15th 2003 and am still recoverying. I did not have a bladder sling put in and I have had no problems with leaking urine. But I didnt have any before my surgery either. I am 23 so age might have a factor in your desion. As for the tummy tuck I haad no prblems with my tummy going back down after. Infact you cant even tell I had it done under my clothes or no clothes at all. Where the scar will be depends on your doc. Mine is so low you cant even see it in a swimsuit or a 2 peice swimsuit. Infact the hair grew over it and you cant see it at all now. As for the way the tummy looks I had a physical theripist (sorry for the speeling) show me a trick to help with the tummy muscles when I was prego. He had me lay on my back. Had a sheet or even a towel will work but it has to be something big enough to go around your back and tummy. I held on to the ends of the sheet rightside over left side , and lifted my head almost as a sit up but only go up about 3 or 4 inches just enough to feel the muscles tighen. When you are doing it pull the ends tight almost like a belt around your tummy. That will help build up the muscles again and will also help with bowl movments. Good Luck and make sure to ask you doc if this is ok first.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register