5 1/2 months post op still not myself (UPDATE--10 months post op :( ) - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 1/2 months post op still not myself (UPDATE--10 months post op :( ) 5 1/2 months post op still not myself (UPDATE--10 months post op :( )

Unread 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Re: Abdominal pain - months post op.

Leona83, sounds like you have a lot on your plate,with two kids to take care of plus trying to heal yourself I give you a lot of credit. Like I said you are still early in recovery so take it easy . Where do you live? I always say I wish there wad a sister that lives close so we could help eachother out cause no one knows what we need like us. My Hubby has been doing the cleaning,laundry,food shopping since the surgery 5 months ago, all I do is cook and most of the time helps with that too he is a great support to me. I still have pain and my left side is still VERY numb do any of you have that ? It is very annoying and hurts when I lift my leg up. I don't understand why I am still numb it feels like rubber I just wish I wasn't the only one that feels like this :'(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnationz View Post
MissE_UK - I think my middle name has become over do it! LOL. I am soooo frustrated with dust and housework and the little things not being done for months! My hubby is great - goes to work, vacuums etc - (and I had a second surprise surgery 2 weeks ago - gall bladder out so just when he thought he'd get some relief from doing it all.....) but I wouldn't ask him to dust the way I do etc. So, I go do "just one thing" which turns into 20 and all of a sudden I have to lie down - either exhausted or pain or both! Then I wonder why I did it then I remember cuz it was bugging me and get up and do some more! At the very beginning I was really good about doing nothing - just sat and worked on a needlepoint. But I feel like life is just passing me by! It is July and I haven't don't anything all year is how I feel!
Emotionally I am the same - fine one day - down the next. This is getting better but when I have pain - I am more emotional. Are you back to work? I am thankful not to be working!!
Oh no - another surgery - how awful - no wonder you are finding recovery slow, surely that's going to take a massive toll on top of everything else? I know what you mean about life passing by... I haven't done anything (usually I'm a writer and an artists outside of work) all year either. I just don't want to because the pain prevents enjoyment and my focus is completely different.

On the cleaning front, I got a cleaner early on. I live alone in a small flat but there was no way I could ask friends who visited to clean for me. I have kept her on because i still wouldn't want to vacuum or scrub anything or even mop the floor. She does 2 hours once a fortnight and this has just taken out one massive stress - I really recommend it if you can so you don't have to worry about your husband too. My overdoing it early on involved really simple things like watering my plants or reaching for things - I would only ever realise when it was too late.

I am back at work but the pain is so bad I can only do 4 hours a day. I'm in danger of losing pay soon - my employers have been fairly good but I doubt I can carry on on full pay for much longer. they ask me when I think I'll be able to increase my hours and I honestly can't answer.

I am going to get advice on special chairs and keyboards etc this week however, and am hopeful that work will pay for this - in return I hope to be able to up my hours a little. We'll see...I'll post any solutions I come up with and hope we all manage to find a few of those to share.

Have a restful sunday
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Hello... I too have some muscle pain and my surgery was 9 months ago. It gets better every month though. I am extremely active, running and biking which is why I believe I'm still noticing the pain here and there but my strength level is incredible. I think going into this surgery I just didn't realize how much healing would be needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2012, 07:36 AM

jjorda, I am happy that you had a good recovery, and I envy you for being so active,but I guess I can't complain cause I was never very active but I did do a lot more pre surgery then now I am a nurse I worked in a Dr office full time for 6 Dr not a lot of running around more front desk but I still worked a 45hr week now I don't feel like I could do a 4 hr.day. How long did your pain last?
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Kat - Hang in there. Your doing fine. The exhaustion was the worst for me too. My doctor had told me after 6 weeks I could get back to my normal routine. HA! BALONEY! I ended up back in her office in tears after three weeks of running. I hit a wall. So tired I couldn't see straight. The abdominal still hits me once in a while when I do a hard workout but not nearly as bad as it was months ago. I still have some numbness but when they say it takes 6 months as so many people have told me it was like a light switch was turned on. Between month 5 and 6 I felt so much better. Mark it on your calendar, your six month point, and each month I would even check in to recognize how you were feeling the month before. After that 6 month mark I'm sure you are going to start noticing improvement. Don't be afraid to get back to the activity you were doing pre surgery either. Moving the muscles is only going to make you stronger!
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
5 1/2 months post op still not myself

Hi laides, I am hoping that there is someone out there that is still recovering "not that I want anyone to be in pain" but I feel like Iam the only one at this stage and still in pain and I still get tired easy. I just want to be me again and at this point I feel like it's never going to happen. Sorry to be so depressing I don't mean to bring anyone down I guess I just need to vent and hear from someone that feels this way too Thank you for listening
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Re: 5 1/2 months post op still not myself

Hi Kat......sorry you are feeling the way you are. I am not as far out from surgery as you are (will be 10 weeks this Friday), but overall I'm feeling pretty good, back to my "old" self. I do occasionally get some random sharp pains that make me think "what was THAT??" I DO still have fatigue and find myself falling asleep watching tv at night however I'm also not sleeping well at night either so that could be the problem. I have read several times on this site that most docs say it takes from 6 months to a full YEAR to completely recover from a hyst so I think you are probably right on track (as long as you aren't having any NEW problems). Hope you feel better soon, hugs to you!!
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM

I'm 7 months post op & I still get a bit sore every now & then when I over do it. I feel better every day but on occasion my body reminds me that I had major surgery . When they say recovery is 6 months to a year, I think that's right on target! hang in there!! Hugs to you!!!
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Gilmore7802, thank you for the pep talk, I am hoping that in time I will feel like you, I know in my mind it was major surgery but in my heart I want it to be all behind me. I hope you will continue to improve everyday ! Xoxo
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Birddog1963, I am so happy to hear that you are getting back to your old self sooo fast I hope you continue on that path. I don't sleep more then then 4hours a night so I am always sleepy I have NEVER took a nap in my life now I take one everyday :-(. thank you for all your good wishes xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register