In ER with Mom due to swelling. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In ER with Mom due to swelling. In ER with Mom due to swelling.

Unread 06-14-2006, 09:39 PM
In ER with Mom due to swelling.

Hello ladies, I havent posted anything in a little while for my Mom. She finished her 6 treatment chemo for ovca 3c a month ago. She'd doing well except the heavy swellness on her feet, wrists and face. Shes been like that for almost 1.5 months. A while ago we shared this with her oncologist and he put her on 20mg lasix. Did nothing for her. She's been walking around for 3 weeks now swollen like you wouldnt believe. Saw her primary she also said just to stay on lasix. Finally yesterday my Mom just got so fed up with it she said to just call a urologist thinking it could be a kidney problem. The urologist said she must see a cardiologist to avoid a congestive heart failur. Well to see a cardiologist is about a 2month wait for new patients so we just headed down to the ER to have her heart and kidney checked because I sure am not waiting for months to get to see these doctors. Its rediculous. Waited in the ER for 5 hours yes 5 hours to be seen by a doctor. They did all the tests her heart is fine, lungs and kidneys as well. They said the swellness could be due to steroids that she took during chemo and or menopous. The ER doctor also raised her lasix to 80 mg. They call her conditoin edema, Im not too sure what that means. They also said it could take upto 1 year for someone to get back to normall after chemo. Any advise or own expirience would be great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2006, 09:49 PM

I'm sorry I haven't had that experience before, just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers out to you and your mom.

It's a shame that in an emergency you still have to wait that long! My family is no stranger to the ER, we always say allow a good 4 hours to get seen and 2-3 hours to be treated. Hang in there hon.
Unread 06-14-2006, 10:34 PM

s Sorry your mother is having to deal with this swelling. Edema is the word for this.

One possibility is lymphedema which may be caused by the removal of lymphnodes and the fluid not having a way to drain. I am not describing this right at all. The fact that it is in your mother's wrists and face makes me question whether lymphedema would be it as when the pelvic lymphnodes are removed this occurs in the legs and feet.

You can do a search here for this. I would definitely get another opinion on this and maybe find a doctor who specializes in lymphedema to rule that in or rule it out.

It does take the body time to recover from surgery and chemo tretments. Keep on taking care of your mother.

Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register