LAVH A Broken Stitch... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Broken Stitch... A Broken Stitch...

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
A Broken Stitch...

My LAVH was on Monday, March 18th. Wednesday morning I had a BM. I didn't think it was hard or anything. I have regularly been taking the stool softeners. Unfortunately I broke a stitch on the vaginal cuff when I pooped. I bled all day yesterday and finally went to the emergency room about 8:00 PM. Being on Coumadin had made me bleed more.

I ended up at 9:00 this morning getting the area cauterized with silver nitrate. There are no guarantees this will hold, obviously, but it is the first line of defense, so to speak. Now I am so afraid - afraid to do anything, to move, to sit, to walk...

I just need some moral support...I'm so afraid! How long does it take these stitches to heal? Has anyone else had a broken stitch treated with silver nitrate?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Re: A Broken Stitch...

Hi Tazbird,
I had bleeding at 5 weeks for an unknown reason. My doc wasn't worried. He told me to rest, which I did for about 48 hours. The spotting slowed down but didn't completely stop. At ny 6 week follpw up, the doc gave me a silver nitrate treatment. I had some strange discharge for about 5 days, then it stopped. I've had nothing since, and I'm past 8 weeks. If I were you, I would be extra careful because of the Coumadin. Rest lots, and if the bleeding doesn't stop or it returns, call your doc.

Try not to be too down. I think little spotting and or bleeding is a normal setback. It is frustrating because we want to get back to our normal lives, but what is needed is rest. You will get past this soon.

Hope you feel better soon;-)
Karen

Ps...I had stitches fall out in the toilet. Try not to worry too much. We all heal differently.
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Stay strong. It will get better. I will pray for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Thanks so much, Nikad and Yadda. I appreciate your support. I did have a BM this evening and I was SO afraid to go. I hate to hope too much that this silver nitrate worked...but I am encouraged that I have gone all day with just some minor bleeding.
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Prayerfully, the treatment will work. Hopefully your BM's will be soft enough where you don't have to strain, so make sure that you are eating lots of fiber.

Just rest, go easy on yourself. I know it's easier said than done sweetie, but try not to worry to much, just let your body heal.

((BIG HUGE HUGS))
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM

Hello, I recently had my 2 week follow up appointment, and my doctor told me the same thing and had to use silver nitrate. I'm still unsure where the stitches are though. I too am afraid to do anything, especially poop and am worried if this will work.. my doctor told me to just continue with the softeners and limit my activity. Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks, Wanda. I appreciate your support. And Slb, we are in similar boats, aren't we? I continue with the stool softener (Ducolax - two pills a day). I pooped twice today. I am still seeing blood, but it is not fresh, bright red blood - it's more brownish. So I am cautiously optimistic. I rested all day yesterday and today. I have done no lifting, no bending, and have been very careful getting up out of the chairs and the bed and getting back down again. I haven't walked, though, and I know that I have to. Hopefully tomorrow. My worry between yesterday and today have led to a couple anxiety attacks, so perhaps at least stepping out of the house will help. I hope that with each passing hour, with each passing day I will continue to heal and heal well. Same for you, Slb.

I was told to think of a clock face, that my stitches run from 12 to 6. Each are individual stitches. Anterior is 12; posterior is 6. It was the stitch at 6 that I broke (by the rectum). I hope the silver nitrate works and holds!
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Yes we are :-) I was able to get out and walk for a bit today and felt ok for the most part, but right after that I came home and just sat on the couch as much as I could (I've got a 4 & 2 year old). Even though my husband is taking care of them for the most part they still want mommy. Try not to stress yourself out because it's not going to help any. Taking it hour by hour is the best thing you can do. I will pray for a speedy recovery for us both and I will pray for strength as we both head back to work.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Oh, Slb. I don't know how you do it with two children! You too are in my prayers.

When do you go back to work? I don't have to go back until April 15th. With my lack of energy and how easily I tire, I can't imagine going back sooner.

May the vaginal cuffs hold and heal!! :-)
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:58 AM

Hi Taz,
I felt the same way about going back to work, especially whith the bleeding one week before i was supposed to go back. I am a teacher, and on my feet all day. I went back at 6 weeks, and was surprised at how well things went. I would just rest, rest, rest until you go back. I told them that I was still tired, and couldn't do much, and my colleagues were wonderful. If you feel that you aren't ready to go back, tell your doctor, and maybe your time can be extended.

Surprisingly, I did very well going back. During the first week, I left as soon as I could each day, and went right home to bed. I was tired, but I made it. I think working really helped me to feel "normal" again.

Be careful and rest girls. Everything you are going through is part of the process. All will be good again soon:-)
Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register