a bit lonely and impatient...anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a bit lonely and impatient...anyone else? a bit lonely and impatient...anyone else?

Unread 05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
a bit lonely and impatient...anyone else?

Hi,

I'm was 5 wks post-op on Monday. Doing pretty well, but feeling lonely and impatient. My husband has been away on business since Sunday, and I'm here alone with my needy Golden Retriever (I know this irks some ladies with kids...but she *is* a *really* needy dog).

I've had been really careful not to over-do, until Sat. when my husband and I did lots to prepare for his going away (groceries, cleaning, etc...). He did all the lifting, and major stuff, but I was on my feet most of the day doing what I could to help. It's hard to watch my husband doing almost everything around the house, plus dealing with his new business. I had been slowly increasing my activity, but I guess this was too big a jump. I felt really sore for 2 days after, and therefore was more uncomfortable when my husband was gone and needed to do more for myself...grrr. On Sunday I mostly felt increased discomfort at my incisions (I have 3 small ones), and a little cramping. The cramping was a bit mysterious to me as it was the time in my cycle when I would be having a period, but maybe it was just from overdoing?

I'm just feeling impatient, and having a hard time finding the right balance of activity and rest right now. My dog is going stir crazy, so attempted 2 short walks with her yesterday, but she pulls too much...and I don't want to risk anything. I miss my daily walks. May go without her, but not sure how much to push. My Dr's instructions were to just stop doing anything that hurts, and no lifting more than 10lbs for 6 wks.

I know some ladies have had much more difficult recoveries, so hate to even complain...but I just want to feel normal again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Go ahead and complain my sister, we have the right!!! I can understand feeling impatient and lonely. I was very impatient and everytime I tried to do something I had a number of people telling me not too. You are 5 weeks and still should take it easy but try to start getting back into the swing of things but just don't overdo it and always follow the instructions of your doctor.

I had a hard time letting people do for me but after a while I kind of liked it. I would suggest you go for a walk without the dog, especially if he/she pulls you. Trust me, you don't want that.

Hang in there and soon you will be able to do more and get back into your regular routine....you are almost there.
Unread 05-11-2005, 02:21 PM

Hi Loincera,

You hang in there!! I had some of the same feelings in post-op with my LSH. Like I was on the sideline and everyone was at their normal activities.

Just remember...you had ~major~ surgery 5 weeks ago. We LSH ladies might look great on the outside and we are still healing on the inside in post-op. The MOST important time for hyst recovery is the first 6 weeks. If you look at it, you have the rest of your life to get back to normal activities.

I think most of us Hysters Sisters "overdo" it at some point. We feel so........great!!! and then we overdo it and we hurt for a couple of days after. I remember doing some light gardening at 4 weeks. Light gardening turned into weeding the back-yard. Yikes.....I hurt the next day!!!! Did the same thing with the gym. I went before the 6 week mark, with my Dr's okay,and the gym was a little too soon. It can feel like 2 steps forward and 1 step back sometimes.

Just hold on. Each day it gets better.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 02:25 PM

Me too. Bored with the recovery, lonely at times with laying around. Getting out even for a coffee and smile from a stranger helps, but somewhere I read and believe life will come speeding at you when you are ready. Hang in there! Noom
Unread 05-11-2005, 02:46 PM

I'm only one week out and feeling lonely and impatient. I was kind hoping I'd get used to it?

I've read four books already...watched more TV than I have in years (I apparently haven't been missing much) and I've played on the computer. Now what?

Hoping I'll be ready for some short outings by next week but I'm still relying heavily on my naps.

Ah well, I suppose this is just how it goes.

Good luck and take care!

Lori
Unread 05-11-2005, 03:10 PM

I am at 4 + weeks and was starting to feel like ...come one girl you are going to be a couch potato get moving...so I have started taking little trips out
First with one of my kids in the car this week alone, little things like making a return of gift p.j.s someone bought me from Victoria's secrets. Stuff like that.

This morning I lined up a few errands locally and started out strong.
Dropped off dry cleaning.
The videos I had watched.
Went to the library for some more books. Have you read"Swimming Naked".
Then stopped at two banks,(why do we have accounts at two banks?????) by the first bank I began to need a bathroom. They had one.
By the second bank my left side started to pull.
I thought better start for home before I end up in pain.
But one more stop at the bakery for bread. Got caught in a little noontimetime traffic. Waited in line in the bakery bumped into a friend who said,Gosh you look green...I do...I better leave...by the time I got home I was in pain....I limped into the house...kicked off my shoess and tore through the medicine cabinet sure that I still had a few pain pills left somewhere...ahhhhhhh..found 'emm took a half and collapsed in bed...I must have been out 4 maybe 5 hours I thought as I lay there waiting for the pain to subside I looked over at the clock.
I was out for 2 and one quarter hour..that is it... I guess this is what they mean by over doing it. I really thought I should be able to handle more by now.
Unread 05-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks!

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your responses, thoughts, experiences, and encouragement! I guess I just kept feeling like I should be doing more by now. But, we're really only ready to do what we're ready to do, right? So I guess that means more rest now than I was expecting.

I relate to so much of what you all said. Probably the worst thing I did last Saturday, besides being on my feet too long, was zipping over the kitchen floor with my swiffer mop. It literally took 5 minutes, but afterwards realized that I should not have done it. It didn't hurt during, but think it did contribute to my soreness. Also did one of those marathon errand runs last Thursday when I finally felt good enough to drive again. Was a glimpse of freedom, but felt completely wiped out after being gone just a few hours.

Regarding all that pesky resting and being good, I've also been reading a lot. I guess I need to re-stock again! We ditched our cable TV a while back so haven't watched during my recovery. The last time I watched, I felt like brain cells were spontaneously dying...slim pickings on those low channels during the day.

If you want a good laugh, and haven't seen it, rent the Arrested Development first season - *very * funny!

Sending best wishes to you all!
Unread 05-11-2005, 10:03 PM

Hi,

I am almost 2 weeks out and feeling lonely and impatient too. I had my mom come and help me out for a week but it only made it harder when she left. I've found that just spending time doing some of the things you didn't have time for before helps a bit. I've been watching all my old movies that I wanted to watch again.Comedies are the best for raising spirits. Hang in there.
Unread 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
boredom my own choice

I'm so thankful to be feeling so very much better from my operation and to be obtaining a much prettier waistline in the process, but drats the recovery thing is boring. I go for walks which leave me most swollen. I like minor range of motion yoga/breathwork using a bench to avoid getting on and off the floor, with correct internal support and alignment. That does the most for my mood and body. My mood is elated to be feeling better, but starting to sag from the sheer boredom of waiting out the recovery. I take it as my own fault though, as boredom does seem a choice, yet I just don't seem to picking up the paintbrush to finish the painting, or finish reading the novels. Hmmmm....course I do have alot on my mind, but the prevailing wind seems to be that of gratitude for this operation, luck, and opening to much greater health and the coveted: ENERGY!
Unread 05-12-2005, 01:34 PM

Noom have you thought about journalling. Your writing is really pleasing to read and I would look forward to anything you would want to share.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register