Question about Surgeon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Surgeon Question about Surgeon

Unread 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Question about Surgeon

Hi, After weeks of freaking out I have resolved myself to know that this option is the best for me. Honestly, now I can't wait to be out of pain. But I would like some advice.... I met my surgeon twice, both very quick 5 minute visits where I felt like my head was spinning. It's been a couple weeks and I now have many questions for him, my surgery is scheduled for Dec. 14, here is my issue, I have called the Doctor and left several messages, maybe 8-10. The nurse called me back a total of two times but due to the fact I was at work I missed the call. The last time she called was this past Monday morning, I have called the office now 4 times and can't get a call back. I'm not even sure what kind of surgery I'm having, I know he mentioned Da Vinci......would you guys be leary of this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Re: Question about Surgeon

I would be, and here's why: what if something happens at home post-op and you can't get medical advice?

I'd want my doctor to be more responsive!
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM

I had the same problem until I befriended the office manager and 1 receptionist. I call and ask for the office manager by first name now and get right thru. She has been so helpful in getting my questions answered and getting me more pain meds when I run out. If you have to just pop in and ask to see the office manager to make a complaint. It has worked for me a couple times. When you get into the office managers office change your tone and be sweet and friendly and try to get her on your side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks, but it's a big hospital and the girl who did call me back was his medical assistant. I really did not have a relationship with the doctor, he was a referal from a doctor I saw as a second opinion for a second ultrasound. getting through to his office is almost impossible because the phone number goes to the reception area.
I know that doctors are busy but and I don't want to be a bother but I really do not know much other than I have a very large cyst on my right ovary and "while they are in there" they are removing my uterus.
I'm not sure if I should just wait untill preop for more info or be more demaning.
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffenie View Post
I would be, and here's why: what if something happens at home post-op and you can't get medical advice?

I'd want my doctor to be more responsive!
Exactly. I don't want a surgeon who's in a rush, or can't remember who I am without having to look at a chart.

I had to go to the obgyn's office monday (I was 12 days post op) because I had itching and discharge that was bothering me and keeping me up at night.

My surgeon/OBGYN was not in on Monday's so I had to see a collegue in the same office. I actually bumped into my surgeon in the parking lot...and he immediately asked, "what's wrong? why are you here? Are you alright?"

That's the kind of doctor I want and did have take out my uterus. Please be leary...you have a red flag for a reason, your gut is screaming, I'd go with that.
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothead64 View Post
I know that doctors are busy but and I don't want to be a bother but I really do not know much other than I have a very large cyst on my right ovary and "while they are in there" they are removing my uterus.
I'm not sure if I should just wait untill preop for more info or be more demaning.
Well.....it's your health, and it's your life! It's never a bother! You must be your own advocate always. You must always bother and bother and bother whomever it takes to get the results you can sleep at night with! If you want to know the information now, request it! If you want to wait...wait and write down all of your questions. I made my pre op appointment 5 days before my surgery so I had PLENTY of time to come up with a 100 more annoying questions. And I'm glad I did because guess what hothead...YOU'RE WORTH IT. You are ALWAYS WORTH THE BOTHER!!! you're only living in this body in this lifetime once right? Make it count! Go get em girl!
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM

THANK YOU MAIDYN!!
As you all know it's such a confusing time. I think you so much for your response. I don't have a lot of "sounding boards" in my life and it's nice to have people who can relate.
In a way I feel like i should just go do it. Like a lot of people I have my own story but, I feel in a bit of a time rush. First off my insurance deductable is almost met for the year due to all these tests, so it would be wise. Also my cyst went from 2.3cm to 9cm...(that was a month ago) in a couple months so it's possible it will twist or rupture. Plus it hurts! But....I live in a state that has been severely hit by unemployment, I have been laid off for 1-1/2 years..after working for my company for 15 years. I found a job, finaly, but now after 1 month I need to tell them ..."Oh by the way I need 2-4 weeks off." That is another reason I would like to speak to my surgeon. I don't know if I will be out 2 weeks or 6 weeks, Da Vinci or incisions??/! So many questions.
I am going to call him tomorrow and raise!!!! >>>>>>
Thank you guys!
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Good luck tomorrow. get the answers to the questions before the surgery. I know they are busy but they do need to be available. So call again and tell them you really need to talk to him. Hopefully will get answers you need.
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:05 PM

If you have a cyst on your ovary, then why are they removing your uterus? What's wrong with your uterus?
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM

They said because I have a couple spots of endo in my uterus plus I'm 45 and I guess they figure I don't need it. THAT is one of the questions I want to ask, if they can just take the R ovary.....But I can't get a call back!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register