how do ovarian cysts factor into hysterectomy decision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how do ovarian cysts factor into hysterectomy decision? how do ovarian cysts factor into hysterectomy decision?

Unread 01-14-2015, 09:52 PM
how do ovarian cysts factor into hysterectomy decision?

hi everyone. I had pretty much decided to have a hysterectomy to relieve adenomyosis pain and a bleeding/spotting cycle up to 18 days a month. My doctor and I both want to leave my ovaries (perfectly normal and healthy 1 mo ago during exploratory lap, no cysts, endo, nothing). However, I wound up in bad pain, and spent most of last weekend at urgent care, due to ovarian pain.

I was just coming off the major bleeding portion of my cycle, but too soon for ovulation, I think. The pain began the night of day 5 of my cycle. I also just started taking ortho cyclen bcp on day 1 of cycle.

The pain is almost always in the same spot on my left. I've had cysts and ruptured cysts probably much longer than the last 5 years that I'm sure of. Although the adeno pain sidelines me in bed on meds for days, honestly, it's only the ruptured cysts that's ever sent me to the ER and urgent care; the ovarian pain is so much worse. My ultrasound this weekend showed small follicular (aka totally normal and functional) cysts on both ovaries and a tiny amount of free fluid.

SO, I have to wonder, is a hysterectomy the right call, if my ovaries cause me so much pain too? Based on my mom and aunt I'm about 15 years from menopause. My other aunt also had adenomyosis and ovarian cysts, so they took her uterus, cervix, and the "problem ovary" out, but she said the remaining ovary didn't get the job done and she had a lot of lasting menopausal symptoms afterwards.

I am ok with a hysterectomy if my quality of life is improved, but this latest drama with my ovaries has me questioning my plans.

thanks in advance to all who may be able to share their input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Re: how do ovarian cysts factor into hyst decision?

hard call. What does your doctor say? I would gather as much info as possible, write pros and cons, they go from there. If need be get another opinion.
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Re: how do ovarian cysts factor into hysterectomy decision?

I have a history of ovarian cysts on my right ovary, so when I had my total vaginal hysterectomy on August 4, 2014 I had them remove my right ovary and tube as well. I kept my left ovary in tact because I've never been told before that I had a cyst on that one. I had the normal emotional roller coaster after my hysterectomy but I can tell the left ovary is still working just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2015, 07:52 PM

I met with my doctor and he says if he takes my left ovary, then my right one *could* start giving me trouble instead, since it would no longer be alternating each cycle. Also, he says there's no guarantees I don't have microscopic endo in my ligament in the painful area, or even microscopic scar tissue on the ovary. What he could see during surgery was healthy.

So not much info that lends to a decision. I asked to be referred to a pain management doctor; it's going to be my last effort to avoid or delay surgery
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Hey there, similar situation as you, but for me, it wasn't the pain from the cysts in my ovaries. It was the cysts plaguing my breasts that caused me to request ovaries OUT. I'm 45, so there's a good chance I was all over the map with estrogen levels. Hadn't been able to touch my boobs for the previous 3 years on account of the pain. I called them my green-poison balloon bags. In Jan of last year the cysts in the right breast were small, but right before surgery I could feel that they had grown. Had to get a big one on the left side drained (thus the green poison reference).

Doc looked at me like I was an alien when she asked me why I wanted them out. Maybe I did a bad job explaining myself with half a dozen people talking and coming in and out of the room before surgery. During my surgery, she put an estradiol patch on me, and no joke, as soon as I was on my feet after surgery I could NOT feel the pain in my boobs. Was the first time they felt like normal in a very long time.

Never looking back, and no regrets. But every situation is different. Your mileage may vary.

Tee
Unread 01-19-2015, 05:23 PM

I had a painful ovary removed after watchful waiting. The other ovary took over just fine, I'm in my 40s, no probs. had hyst for debilitating adeno, if an ovary is left you will still experience PMS stuff, if you did before. I wanted the healthy ovary kept for benefit of hormones, as I haven't entered meno yet.

My right ovary has been fine for 6 yrs, no probs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register