Gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Gas

Everyone mentions gas after the surgery. What causes it? If you didn't have gas before the surgery, why after? My doc said that is the benchmark for deciding when I can go home...after I pass the dreaded gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Gas

It's from them opening you/ moving bady parts around.If you have a LAVH, it's from the gas that they put into you to help them move their tools around.Ask your Dr to order Gas X or something like that to help you
Unread 05-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Gas

My Dr. suggested I bring my own Gas X to the hospital. He said to just be sure the nurses are aware of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Gas

Unfortunately, everyone talks about it because it seems everyone suffers from it. I found the gas to be the most painful part of the surgery. I found a web site that explains what causes it pretty well. I copied the section on bowels it below. If you want to read the entire thing go to:
http://www.shb.ie/nonworddocs/hyster...rectomy_10.htm

"For about a day or so after the operation, the bowel is less active than usual as a result of anaesthesia or manipulation during surgery, or both. This is the reason why food and drink are restricted for a short time after surgery. Bowel movements will be helped if the woman gets up and moves about. This may be the last thing she feels like doing, but it will help her bowel activity, general circulation, aid the recovery process and avoid the risk of clots. Therefore, even if painful, it’s a good exercise. After a few days when the woman is eating and drinking again, the bowel increases its activity, but the mechanism associated with its function may not yet have fully returned. Colicky pains occur, usually referred to as wind pains. A woman may feel “blown up” and experience some discomfort. The pains may grow in intensity as the gas passes round the intestine, until it gets to the back passage and is released. Tactics to overcome wind pains vary. Aspirin, laxatives, peppermint water, suppositories may be offered. Charcoal tablets may help as they absorb gas in the bowel and reduce distention and colic. Codeine should be avoided as it may cause constipation. Fizzy drinks should also be avoided as they may increase wind. It is good to drink plain fluids such as water and fruit juices."
Unread 05-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Gas

Thank you Ashley. That covers it nicely.
Unread 05-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Gas

older,

this part had me freaked out prior to my surgery (5/26 - just home from castle). I took Gas X with me - but never took one tablet. But, I didn't really have any problems in this area! I was greatly relieved by that fact!

I had a suppository at midnight - approx 36 hours after surgery and it did the trick. I wasn't really bloated/gassy prior to the suppository either...just hadn't passed gas. I was a bit worried about the first 'movement' but that was a breeze too. When I was allowed to eat solid foods (after passing gas), I was given a pancake with syrup. The syrup did the trick for me. I was asking my mom about that and she said that they often give babies a bit of Karo syrup to 'help them along' when they are constipated.

I've got to hand it to my doc and the nurses...they made this easier for me than I had expected! Thank goodness!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register