What to Expect for the Day Before Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to Expect for the Day Before Surgery What to Expect for the Day Before Surgery

Unread 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
What to Expect for the Day Before Surgery

Hi, I've got two months to prepare (freak out) before my TAH and was just looking for some input on what to expect the day before the surgery.

I am attending an important conference that my work is hosting, the third day of it is actually my surgery day. I won't really have many responsibilities there, but want to participate.

What is the day before surgery like for many people? Are you limited in what you can eat? If you've done a bowel prep, when does that start?

Just wondering, because I'm one of those gotta have in worked out in my head kind of people. I know everybody's different and doctor's orders are different, but interested in what other women have gone through...Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 02:26 PM

I had a TAH on Dec.5th,2007. I actually worked the day before my surgery. I didn't have any bowel prep. I just couldn't have anything but clear liquids the day before. That was the hardest part for me because I work in our middle school cafeteria and I not only had to cook all the food but had to smell it while I was serving . I did better being at work since it kept me busy and it kept me from stressing to much. Every doctor is different so just talk to your dr. during your pre-op. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.
Faith
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Good afternoon!! My TAH is scheduled on Monday I had my pre op today the doc said I have no Bowel prep and can eat whatever sounds good the day before!!! Also said just stay away from alcohol. I know all docs are different though!! I have heard that most women if they do a bowel prep start the day before!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Hi! My TAH is scheduled for March 4th, and I believe I'm not having a bowel prep. I haven't had my pre-op yet, that's on Feb 28th. However, the nurse at the hospital told me that my only restrictions for the day prior to the surgery are no food or drinks after midnight. She said that was all I needed to do. I wasn't told anything about clear liquids or anything so that's pretty nice for me However, I suppose things may change when I talk to my dr at the pre-op. Good luck and keep calm!!
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Hi
I had no dietary restrictions the day before (did have some medication restricxtions.) I went into the hospital for a preop appointment, but if I recall correctly I could have done it earlier, not that day. I';m not sure how much earlier. I didn't do a bowel prep for this surgery but I think when I did one for a colonoscopy it started after work. If all goes as planned I would think you could attend. However, you probably want to leave yourself flexible in case something comes up, and the doc wants last minute blood counts or something like that.
Deb
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM

I had to do a bowel prep the day before my surgery and it started around11:00 a.m. I drank the mag citrate, which wasn't too bad, and then waited for it to work. It didn't, and after the enema didn't help I called the surgeon, who told me that my body just didn't need to get rid of anything and not to worry about it. It was a stressful day but only because I was worried about not eliminating anything. That only lasted until my chat with my doctor, though. Then I tried to do whatever would relax me: I read, took a hot bath, cuddled with my kitties. A big key for me was trying to stick as much to my routine as possible.
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Hi Mary,
I am 7 days post-op and I had to do the clear liquid diet by 12 noon the day before PLUS the bowel prep. If you have to do both of these, you won't want to be anywhere but home for the process. You might want to call your doctor and ask their method as many doctors don't require one or the other (or both) of these pre-surgery preparations. I tell you, I would have much preferred to be anywhere else, doing anything else just to keep my mind off of the surgery. I was very nervous about having the surgery but as usual, my fears were way worse than the reality of the surgery.
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Today is the day before my surgery and I had to do a bowel prep so I was on a liquid diet. My doctor wasn't specific about when to do the prep--just sometime in the afternoon. I drank a 10 ounce bottle of magnesium citrate around 1:00 and have been "feeling the effects" since around 1:45.

If you don't have to do a bowel prep, you will probably have to eat light meals the day before. But, you could still attend the conference.
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Thank you all...I'll take it as it comes and see what the doctor says. Sometimes, it just helps to have it worked out in you mind. At work we like to call it "managing the expectation"!
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier67
Hi Mary,
I am 7 days post-op and I had to do the clear liquid diet by 12 noon the day before PLUS the bowel prep. If you have to do both of these, you won't want to be anywhere but home for the process. You might want to call your doctor and ask their method as many doctors don't require one or the other (or both) of these pre-surgery preparations. I tell you, I would have much preferred to be anywhere else, doing anything else just to keep my mind off of the surgery. I was very nervous about having the surgery but as usual, my fears were way worse than the reality of the surgery.
I just went to my pre-op yesterday and I will be required to do the same. Nothing but liquid type things all day. I was lucky though, my doc broke it down by time periods for me. Morning to noon I can have cream of wheat, custard, jello....he had a whole list. Then after noon it goes to just liquids and Popsicles, things like that and that is when I have to drink the Fleet carbo soda stuff and take 4 Dulcolax tabs. YUCK! Not gonna be a good day I can tell. Then nothing after midnight. Not quite sure what I will do with myself. I'm a worry wart but I will try and get some housework done or something while I can. Good luck ladies and God bless!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register